NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Shohei Ohtani 2021 Outlook

On 5/26/2021 at 9:09 AM, Braves16 said:

On yahoo he still needs 6 more appearances in the OF. I’m just hoping by the allstar break. 

Correct. Yahoo does 10 appearances or five starts.  So we’re still gonna be waiting a little while. But it’ll be worth it to unclog that utility slot. 🙏🏻

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

With 2 games in SF to start the week, think he plays RF?

Maddon put a damper on that idea in a story in the LA Times Saturday: 

"Maddon said the Angels likely won’t have Ohtani start in the outfield during their upcoming two-game National League series against the San Francisco Giants, when the designated hitter won’t be available."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/liveblog/angels-vs-oakland-athletics-live-updates-news-shohei-ohtani

9 hours ago, Caelum said:

Maddon put a damper on that idea in a story in the LA Times Saturday: 

"Maddon said the Angels likely won’t have Ohtani start in the outfield during their upcoming two-game National League series against the San Francisco Giants, when the designated hitter won’t be available."

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/liveblog/angels-vs-oakland-athletics-live-updates-news-shohei-ohtani

That's annoying. Gonna sit your best bat because you don't want him playing the OF.. Is he that much of a butcher out there?

19 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

That's annoying. Gonna sit your best bat because you don't want him playing the OF.. Is he that much of a butcher out there?

Why take the chance? It's a 2 game set, no need to risk injury to your best hitter. They aren't managing for the benefit of our fantasy teams, amazingly.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Why take the chance? It's a 2 game set, no need to risk injury to your best hitter. They aren't managing for the benefit of our fantasy teams, amazingly.

The Angels aren't managing for the benefit of anyone but the rest of the league. Shohei pitching and hitting in an NL park is literally the biggest advantage available legally and they're like nah .500 baseball is a little rich for our blood.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

The Angels have 10 games on the road against NL teams this season. Sitting your best hitter for 10 games to protect him from injury is pathetic and a sign that you've given up on the season. I don't even know why a 26 year old super athlete would need to be proctected from fielding fly balls in the outfield to begin with, he isn't Nick Senzel ffs. He is far more likely to incur injury from pitching or hitting; it is simply absurd to hold the position that having him play the outfield is the point at which the risk of injury is too much.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ultraa said:

The Angels aren't managing for the benefit of anyone but the rest of the league. Shohei pitching and hitting in an NL park is literally the biggest advantage available legally and they're like nah .500 baseball is a little rich for our blood.

It isn't like Ohtani isn't capable of playing OF.  Not a big risk position.  My hope is they recognize how special his bat is and ease him into this for the long run.  Would be good to see him regularly play OF when not pitching during visits to NL parks.

40 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Sitting your best hitter for 10 games to protect him from injury is pathetic and a sign that you've given up on the season

They're without Trout for 2 months and still have no pitching so they should face the facts and phone it in, none of their fans expect anything less anyway

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AHF said:

It isn't like Ohtani isn't capable of playing OF.  Not a big risk position.  My hope is they recognize how special his bat is and ease him into this for the long run.  Would be good to see him regularly play OF when not pitching during visits to NL parks.

Well, when you've got a guy like Juan Lagares with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Justin Upton with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Taylor Ward with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Phil Gosselin with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

I forget where I was going with this.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ultraa said:

Well, when you've got a guy like Juan Lagares with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Justin Upton with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Taylor Ward with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

Or, if you've got a guy like Phil Gosselin with a negative WAR over the past 3 years you've gotta manage for the benefit of your team.

I forget where I was going with this.

You are a very passionate fan of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

How can you not love a team known for the greatest National Anthem performance of all-time?

I was just thinking of how awesome Queen Elizabeth’s pitch was a few hours ago - while seated, no less!

EDIT:  Maybe she did stand up - beat the heck out of Carly Rae Jepsen’s!

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

3 Naked Gun threads today?  May have to rewatch it soon.

It's always worth a re-watch, the second one is my least favorite of the trio, but 33 1/3 is very underrated all the way through those hilarious credits. All the Zucker Bros movies are gold. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

3 Naked Gun threads today?  May have to rewatch it soon.

Forget baseball - go watch NG again stat

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Forgot to rant about his pinch-hit at bat yesterday. He comes up with 2outs in the 9th inning with the game over and gets a nice round of applause from the crowd who came to see him play. Gives Posey a cordial greeting, steps into the box. He proceeds to take a 5 pitch walk and not lift the bat off his shoulder the whole time. A disappointed crowd boos, he goes to first. He quickly takes 2nd base on defensive indifference.

Nick Tropeano was pitching and didn't even notice until he turned around and saw Shohei standing at 2nd, at which point Posey tells him to switch his sign card. I hate these damn sign cards-the guy then fumbles around his hat for the card, drops it on the ground, picks it up and stares at it, nods at Posey, puts it back in his cap. This is agonizing to describe, read, and even worse to watch with 2 out in the ninth inning. Why did you let him take 2nd if you're worried about sign stealing? Anyway, Shohei then took 3rd base next. If I were the scorer I would have just given him the steal, who cares. Ban these stupid sign cards if you want to speed the game up. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2

Ho Hum, this guy follows up his best start of the season on Friday (even against the Mariners) with 10K/0BB, with his 16th HR the next day, and not a peep from the peanut gallery. It is expected greatness at this point. In daily leagues, this guy might be the most valuable player of all time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are we starting him this week @Zona? I'm always skeptical about starting this guy in a pts league. The -1 per walk is a killer. He looked great last start but he's so up and down. Also, think he get a game in RF vs the Dback or they gonna have there best hitter sit the pine for 3 game? 

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

Are we starting him this week @Zona? I'm always skeptical about starting this guy in a pts league. The -1 per walk is a killer. He looked great last start but he's so up and down. Also, think he get a game in RF vs the Dback or they gonna have there best hitter sit the pine for 3 game? 

We can only hope, but I doubt he plays in the outfield at this point. Disappointing, but I think in weekly leagues you have to consider benching him. 

3 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

He isn't going to play the OF in Arizona unless it is the result of coming into the game late to hit. Maddon had the opportunity to play him in the OF three times last week and chose to sit him all three times, one of those being when he was finished pitching on Friday. 

6 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

He's had two or less walks in 3 of his last 4 games. If you're not starting him against the Dbacks I don't know why you would even own him.

• Like 1

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic