Josh Bell 2021 Outlook

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thread is too buried for the season he is about to have

He's had 1 good half season his whole career... And we are blaming COVID??? 😆 Look I'm optimistic with Bell especially out of PNC, but he literally had a good 1st half in 19 and done nothing else

I’m heavily invested. With Robles, Turner, and Soto hitting in front of him, he’s my pick to lead the NL in RBIs. I can’t seem to find where I read it but supposedly he changed his swing last year and

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RoadApple said:

We have a serious contender for "Fantasy Turd Of The Month" in April. I finally cut bait this morning, added Aguilar.

lol I did the exact same move

I saw him take a swing last night that looked so bad it rivaled that infamous Billy Hamilton swing of yore for worst ever seen.  Dude is totally lost right now and flat-out guessing - poorly.

This guy is gonna be fine. Im permabenching him for now but he will turn it around. COVID IL is nothing to f--- with and his timing has gotten turned around since spring. He'll recover. I would not drop yet.

He is batting 6th today so even his own team thinks he sucks

I wish they’d just give him a week off to mentally re-set and just work on his swing mechanics and pitch recognition.  But they don’t have that luxury and it would make Rizzo look foolish.

15 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Covid really ****** him over man... 

Maybe. The other possibility is that were seeing the same Josh Bell as last year and that those spring stats were just, well....spring stats.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Covid really ****** him over man... 

He's had 1 good half season his whole career... And we are blaming COVID??? 😆

Look I'm optimistic with Bell especially out of PNC, but he literally had a good 1st half in 19 and done nothing else in his career. He's a question mark and an upside play, but you got to be aware he might just be what he has been his whole career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

Look I'm optimistic with Bell especially out of PNC, but he literally had a good 1st half in 19 and done nothing else in his career. He's a question mark and an upside play, but you got to be aware he might just be what he has been his whole career.

2017 165 R+RBI 26HR .255 .800 ops is a pretty decent season 

6 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I think the point he was making was that he was absolutely crushing the ball throughout spring training, catches Covid, and comes back and is one of the worst hitters in baseball right now. Dude hit 6hrs and had a .383/.456/.872 slash line across 47 ab’s in March and now can’t hit for crap. Either being out those 2 weeks really disrupted his timing or he’s dealing with the after effects of Covid.

• Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think the point he was making was that he was absolutely crushing the ball throughout spring training, catches Covid, and comes back and is one of the worst hitters in baseball right now. Dude hit 6hrs and had a .383/.456/.872 slash line across 47 ab’s in March and now can’t hit for crap. Either being out those 2 weeks really disrupted his timing or he’s dealing with the after effects of Covid.

Third option: Spring stats dont mean jack squat and hes the same guy as last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Third option: Spring stats dont mean jack squat and hes the same guy as last year.

Pretty sure he hit better than .120/.196/.280 last year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Pretty sure he hit better than .120/.196/.280 last year.

To be fair, i didnt say he would hit .120. I said he could be the same guy as last year. .226/.669 OPS. Either way, I had to drop him. 

5 hours ago, tristan0823 said:

2017 165 R+RBI 26HR .255 .800 ops is a pretty decent season 

255 and 26 is nothing fantasy baseball for a 1B. Sorry, that's on and off waivers during the year. If he did that this year everyone will be severely disappointed.

Point is, he's done little in his career outside of 2019 1H... That's what we are all here for.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

255 and 26 is nothing fantasy baseball for a 1B. Sorry, that's on and off waivers during the year. If he did that this year everyone will be severely disappointed.

Point is, he's done little in his career outside of 2019 1H... That's what we are all here for.

.255 26 HR and 170 R+RBI plays in a lot of leagues that have CI. Maybe not in points leagues or 12 team shallow benches. 
Also a lot of the back end top 15 or so 1B were projected for mid twenties HR and 170+ R+RBI and an .260ish average. (Bohm, D.Smith, Hosmer, Hiura) 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Michael Bluth said:

Ok I swung and missed on this one worse than Bell himself 

You’re not alone. He looks like complete trash out there. My biggest whiff of draft season.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

You’re not alone. He looks like complete trash out there. My biggest whiff of draft season.

Yeah i'm raellllyyyyyy close to saying f--- it and dropping him. Need to drop someone once Hoerner gets back next week. It's either Bell or Longo. But I'm starting to think Longo is the correct keep. Bell looks utterly lost at the plate and is on a torrential slump.

Really trying to dig in and understand what is going on here. In many ways, but not all, he appears to be unlucky.

Things that are worse from his previous years - he is K% is up and his BB% is down, that said his contact rate is the same, his Max EV is the same and he is actually barreling a lot more balls than he did last year. Also currently has the highest hard hit % of his career. His BABIP is abysmally low .154 - I think some of this is due to the fact he is being shifted more frequently and some of it has to be luck based.

I think the biggest challenge in holding him on your roster isn't that he is struggling - I expect him to come back a bit but not to the level of projections. The challenge I see is playing time - he is now being platooned and dropped in the order. 

Anyone see a glimmer of hope?