NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zac Gallen 2021 Outlook

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What? He threw 147.2 IP in 2017 across 3 minor league levels, 133.1 IP in AA in 2018 and 171.1 IP in 2019 between AAA and MLB. Obviously 2020 was shortened but he didn’t miss a start. Likely head

Encouraging...for who exactly? Dr. James Andrews?

Some good news   https://twitter.com/NicoCiva1/status/1374082025615941634?s=08

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

That is great news. I watched him pitch a few times last year and was really impressed. His stuff is filthy, he's efficient and frequently goes 6.  Only knock is the team for the W's (which is a terrible stat anyway).  I like him better than Flaherty who will surely go ahead of him.  If this could cause a discount, I'm all for him it dropping him to my first pick in the 5th round. Too bad this info (that he should be OK) didn't get released friday night. 

11 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He’s “going for a second opinion” 

odds of TJ increasing rapidly 

Yeah.  That’s never good.  Oh well, this season was fun.  See you guys next year.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He’s “going for a second opinion” 

odds of TJ increasing rapidly 

Never good, next thing you know the second opinion will be with Dr. James Andrews...

Just now, MissingLink said:

Well at least no TJ.

Wait so it’s a bone issue? Not soft tissue?

How does that happen swinging a bat (unless he himself with it or fouled a pitch off)?

6 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Curious about where or who this timeline came from?

I'm not a medical professional.  Just a Google search.

So I'm actually relieved by this. Definitely a preferable injury than to ligament or tendon and I would think a more predictable recovery. My only concern is that once he comes back he'll still have to bat in games. Friggin MLB. 🙄

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

Ok so what, he's out till Mid May or so?

Assuming no setbacks?

(Obv guessing here) 

If so, that's like 6-7 starts? 

In baseball, always go the high end of the timeline, and add 2 weeks.  Thats just the case so often that it's good to be prepared.  If they come back any time before that, it's a sweet bonus.  Of course there could be complications though. But in that case, you're pot commited.  In this particular case, a reasonable estimate is early late may/early June.  If that's indeed the case he'd be available for 70% if the season, but because of innings limits on so many pitchers, he was likely only going to throw 75% or so anyways.   Throw in some April rain out postponements maybe and  this isn't really that bad.  For "getting a second opinion", this outcome seems about as good as possible.

• Like 3

Possible, possible, possible silver lining? He might be able to go deeper into starts and get more Ws or QS and be available for playoffs for H2h.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Possible, possible, possible silver lining? He might be able to go deeper into starts and get more Ws or QS and be available for playoffs for H2h.

Or, they baby him all season regardless.

I'm playing devil's advocate here..

49 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

If the Diamondbacks are in the tank by the time Gallen might be ready to come back, they might not rush him at all...

1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

I saw someone on reddit post about this, i mean in theory he might get a longer start in the final few weeks or so, but this obviously terrible for his value. Teams rarely if ever stop pitchers towards the end of the season because they hit their limits, they usually get an IL stint or pause mid season. They're not going to shove all the innings he was projected to hit in a much shorter time frame. it's going to take time to stretch him out, and re-injury is always an increased possibility.  I don't see any silver lining. Just hope when he gets healthy, if he is, he will help your team.  There's certainly a chance he helps H2H owners when it counts most, but thats really no different from any good pitcher or hitter.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

. They're not going to shove all the innings he was projected to hit in a much shorter time frame. it's going to take time to stretch him out, and re-injury is always an increased possibility.  I don't see any silver lining. 

This. Exactly.

Time to do a bench coach thing regarding him. 

• Like 1

For context, Gallen and Syndergaard are both supposed to be back around roughly the same time. Just something to think about when drafting. I'm not saying if both players were healthy that Gallen wouldn't be drafted higher, just trying to put things in perspective. I've personally moved him down to the Luzardo range in my rankings.