NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zac Gallen 2021 Outlook

3 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Yeah...not starting until he gets a few innings under his belt.

Yup I agree.  I’m in a QS league and I’m very concerned about this year.  He’s dealing with an injury and pitch count.  I don’t expect anything close to last year’s performance.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bob Nightengale says The early test results on #DBacks ace Zac Gallen’s right elbow are being called ‘encouraging.’ Or, to put it another way: safe drop.

Some good news   https://twitter.com/NicoCiva1/status/1374082025615941634?s=08

He had a little rust, but in general it was a very solid debut for Gallen. You sort of have to watch him work to really appreciate what a tactician he is. He won't wow you with his FA readings bu

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

A FP blurb I just received said that Gallen is expected to start Tuesday. 

As mentioned on the previous page 😎

4 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

As mentioned on the previous page 😎

No, you said the Arz beat writer said it. I posted that FP is running with it, too. Just pointing out that it’s gaining traction. 

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No, you said the Arz beat writer said it. I posted that FP is running with it, too. Just pointing out that it’s gaining traction. 

beat writers provide the info that FP and other sites use haha

21 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Yup I agree.  I’m in a QS league and I’m very concerned about this year.  He’s dealing with an injury and pitch count.  I don’t expect anything close to last year’s performance.

Is he dealing with a pitch count? I thought he was dealing with an innings limit, which is very different

2 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Is he dealing with a pitch count? I thought he was dealing with an innings limit, which is very different

You’re right.  Although not sure if the injury changes anything.  Looking forward to Tuesday.

• Like 1

I was thrilled to read this initially, but considering his innings limit I'd rather have him take another few weeks, heal completely, ramp up normally, and be available for the H2H playoffs. At this point I'm hoping he doesn't start on Tuesday

• Like 3
2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Weekly lineup and need to set my lineup..has there been any confirmation he's starting this week?

Even if he starts I think I would probably sit him this week.  I can't see him going very deep into the game and we still need to see if he can throw that curveball regularly without any discomfort.  

7 hours ago, knifeparty said:

Even if he starts I think I would probably sit him this week.  I can't see him going very deep into the game and we still need to see if he can throw that curveball regularly without any discomfort.  

Probably right, but Oakland is 26/30 in runs scored so far.  Would be a favorable matchup.

This seems to be a really quick recovery from a fractured bone. I'm no orthopedist, but I really hope he's not rushing back.  

Edited by CardiacDO
8 hours ago, CardiacDO said:

This seems to be a really quick recovery from a fractured bone. I'm no orthopedist, but I really hope he's not rushing back.  

Yeah.  Seems really weird.  He was getting second opinions 3 weeks ago 

• Like 1

I am not concerned. Going right back in the line-up. This was a situation where everyone freaked about the forearm pain, but then info came out about the broken bone in there--which was really more of a small hairline crack. He has continued to throw throughout, so while he might be on a pitch-count, he could easily toss 6 innings right out of the chute.

• Like 4

He had a little rust, but in general it was a very solid debut for Gallen.

You sort of have to watch him work to really appreciate what a tactician he is. He won't wow you with his FA readings but the overall arsenal is so complete. Everything works off of the same precise release point, and it all has distinct movements and spots in the velo spectrum. Talking 5 well above average offerings and very good overall command. 12 swinging strikes yesterday and 37% CSW.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

He had a little rust, but in general it was a very solid debut for Gallen.

You sort of have to watch him work to really appreciate what a tactician he is. He won't wow you with his FA readings but the overall arsenal is so complete. Everything works off of the same precise release point, and it all has distinct movements and spots in the velo spectrum. Talking 5 well above average offerings and very good overall command. 12 swinging strikes yesterday and 37% CSW.

He’s an absolute beauty to watch. The graphics I’ve seen that show his release point for all his pitches and the spot they end up in the strike zone is ridiculous. I think he’s going to be one of the very best pitchers in the game in the next couple of years. He’s only pitched 156 innings in the majors and he’s already been considered a top 20 SP and has performed like that when on the field. 

• 2 weeks later...

Boy this guy is good. I was going to be all-in on him this year, but the injury news came before all of my drafts and sadly I don't own a single share. He just got done dominating the Braves in the top half of a double-header, going 5.1 IP without allowing a hit and ultimately finishing the shutout with 6ks and 2 BBs. This guy is inside top 15 SP and by season's end could work into the top 10, and currently has to be ranked ahead of guys like Castillo, Snell, Giolito.

15 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Boy this guy is good. I was going to be all-in on him this year, but the injury news came before all of my drafts and sadly I don't own a single share. He just got done dominating the Braves in the top half of a double-header, going 5.1 IP without allowing a hit and ultimately finishing the shutout with 6ks and 2 BBs. This guy is inside top 15 SP and by season's end could work into the top 10, and currently has to be ranked ahead of guys like Castillo, Snell, Giolito.

I’d hesitate to have him ahead of Gio. 

40 minutes ago, tristan0823 said:

I’d hesitate to have him ahead of Gio. 

I'm saying by the end of the year it will be a debate. It's hard to crack that top 10, there are some guys who belong there. Also we don't know that Giolito's cut won't linger, but Gallen has allayed any injury concerns there were. I'm not upset that I didn't draft him because I think you can always make an alternative plan, but those who took the chance have to be happy they did.

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm saying by the end of the year it will be a debate. It's hard to crack that top 10, there are some guys who belong there. Also we don't know that Giolito's cut won't linger, but Gallen has allayed any injury concerns there were. I'm not upset that I didn't draft him because I think you can always make an alternative plan, but those who took the chance have to be happy they did.

You said currently ahead of Gio... that’s what I was referencing. There’s still discussion on how many innings Gallen will pitch ROS, he still has the BB issues that come and go. 
Giolito is comfortably in back half of the top 10 currently. 

Edited by tristan0823