NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Zac Gallen 2021 Outlook

Cesare13

4 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

Big fan, but this dude can drive one to opioids.  Sit him, he pitches well.  Start him against a lesser opponent, you get booty blasted.  

No kidding!  What a disaster!  Usually when he does this bad, it's followed by a stint on the IL.   The pattern  is "IL....sit (gem)...start(dumpster fire)...IL...." and it repeats itself.

13 minutes ago, silianrail said:

It's not like ARI can get him many wins when he pitches well anyway. What's the value here? A few strike outs? If he was dropped would you pick him up?

Can't speak for anyone but myself, but you're right.  In a re draft, with that offense and that bullpen he's not worth a roster spot imo. I'm guessing a lot of people spent a lot of draft capita and waited through the annoying injuries (probably another one today!)  

Im behind on innings and have him in a keeper so I've been throwing him out there for any reasonable matchup.  I'm guessing a lot of people in similar situations are using him.

Injury might be part of the problem, but I don’t think Gallen is really that good. Certainly not the potential ace he’s made out to be.

He’s always had walk issues. Had a sub-3 ERA his first two seasons, but xERA, FIP, xFIP and SIERA at least 3.60 each year. He’d load the bases and dance out of trouble (83% strand rate both seasons), but the free baserunners catch up to you eventually.

For dynasty purposes, I’d rate him similar to Dylan Cease and Tyler Mahle. All three are high-K, high-walk guys in their mid-20s who should post high-3s ERAs. Cease and Mahle throw harder, are on better teams, and have less injury risk.

4 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Injury might be part of the problem, but I don’t think Gallen is really that good. Certainly not the potential ace he’s made out to be.

He’s always had walk issues. Had a sub-3 ERA his first two seasons, but xERA, FIP, xFIP and SIERA at least 3.60 each year. He’d load the bases and dance out of trouble (83% strand rate both seasons), but the free baserunners catch up to you eventually.

For dynasty purposes, I’d rate him similar to Dylan Cease and Tyler Mahle. All three are high-K, high-walk guys in their mid-20s who should post high-3s ERAs. Cease and Mahle throw harder, are on better teams, and have less injury risk.

I can see the argument for Mahle, but I have Gallen quite a bit ahead of Cease even when considering injury risk 

36 minutes ago, collucho said:

I'm not ready to cut bait just yet but I am starting to think about it. 

Me too...my playoffs are a few weeks away and I'm trying to decide. I was hoping for a more elite pitcher than what we're getting

Pretty much all the owners in my league sit on pitchers so, there's nothing on the WW. Regardless, I'm not going to drop him anytime in the foreseeable future. I spent too high of a pick, so, I'm holding at least until the end of August to see how this shakes out (my playoffs start 2nd week of September). If the above listed comment about his schedule is accurate, ZG will be deeply buried on my bench. Regardless, I have a hard time seeing him past 6 innings in a game. He could be Blake Snell-esque for the rest of this year, where he's going 4 or 5 innings tops. This situation just sucks. 

4 hours ago, veinteuno said:

Pretty much all the owners in my league sit on pitchers so, there's nothing on the WW. Regardless, I'm not going to drop him anytime in the foreseeable future. I spent too high of a pick, so, I'm holding at least until the end of August to see how this shakes out (my playoffs start 2nd week of September). If the above listed comment about his schedule is accurate, ZG will be deeply buried on my bench. Regardless, I have a hard time seeing him past 6 innings in a game. He could be Blake Snell-esque for the rest of this year, where he's going 4 or 5 innings tops. This situation just sucks. 

The thing that sucks is he was a QS machine last year (and really most of his career).  In QS leagues, he was supposed to be a safe pick.  Now he such limited upside and not even sure what value he has in keeper leagues.  Such an awful year.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 4:08 PM, mehtavg2000 said:

The thing that sucks is he was a QS machine last year (and really most of his career).  In QS leagues, he was supposed to be a safe pick.  Now he such limited upside and not even sure what value he has in keeper leagues.  Such an awful year.

You wanted a QS here’s your QS against the future back to back WS champs

6 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

Thanks!  Like any sane person would have predicted this to happen.

So, by fantasy baseball law, 7ER over 1.1 innings  next start?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So just looked at his potential schedule ROS and it's littered with Giants, Dodgers, and Padres matchups... While I'm a believer that he'll figure it out, I can't be confident that he'll be anything more than a low-end guy from here on out. Thinking of dropping in standard leagues

2 hours ago, Del Rio said:

So just looked at his potential schedule ROS and it's littered with Giants, Dodgers, and Padres matchups... While I'm a believer that he'll figure it out, I can't be confident that he'll be anything more than a low-end guy from here on out. Thinking of dropping in standard leagues

I agree, found no takers and dropped

19 minutes ago, collucho said:

I dropped. Kinda wish he did worse last night but 5ER is not gonna cut it. Sure it was a good opponent but he's lined up to only face good opponents. Will be looking to add in 2022.

yea , his schedule going forward for ROS is really bad.