NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Keston Hiura 2021 Outlook

Cesare13

5 minutes ago, collucho said:

Buy the ******** dip.

Pretty much. Huira loses a lot of value in keepers /dynasty if he doesn't retain 2b elliigiblilty, which it looks like he won't. But for this year I'm fine stashing him in a super deep league all this time or picking him up for free if you need 2b help. Maybe a guy you can get cheap in a trade. 

Rooting for him, but I don’t see any need to rush to the wire in anything but mono or really deep mixers. His PT will disintegrate again if he’s not producing when Vogelbach comes back.

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

Rooting for him, but I don’t see any need to rush to the wire in anything but mono or really deep mixers. His PT will disintegrate again if he’s not producing when Vogelbach comes back.

Imo he gets probably about 10-15 games to show tangible progress. Vogelbach is dealing with a potentially serious injury and isn't the answer anyways. If Hiura doesn't show well the Crew will go the trade route--likely scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 2:20 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

Imo he gets probably about 10-15 games to show tangible progress. Vogelbach is dealing with a potentially serious injury and isn't the answer anyways. If Hiura doesn't show well the Crew will go the trade route--likely scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

I watched this interview of his and for some reason I got this feeling that this time it will work. Sometimes it’s not just mechanical adjustments but also psychological. Let’s see if I’m right. So my advice is, if you who have a roster spot you could spare, ‘add and then evaluate over the next week or so’. He’s the kind of recognized name that if he has one or two strong outings another manager might act faster than you. Then the only adequate replacement you’ll be able to add is regret.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brujan said:

Why would it get locked?

It was during the game. All mid-game player talk is for the game day thread.

Game's over now though.

Not only did Hiura have a homer today, he was the hero of the game with a sac fly (a hard hit to the outfield) and all his teammates swarmed him. Should really help with his confidence.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, bunnyzclan said:

Trying to temper my expectations, but it seems like Hiura is finally putting it together. His at bats are no longer wildly swinging at everything.

You really should try harder to temper them because he has a serial history of breaking the hearts of fantasy managers. However, I agree he definitely looks way better this time around in the small sample size.

EV average since coming back has been 100+ MPH. Today’s HR was on a high fastball which has been one the biggest question mark for him (it was a 93mph from chi chi and I’d like to see it vs better fastballs, but still it’s better than a swing and miss). I liked his double today. It was his hardest hit ball and it was against Lawrence who has closer-type stuff. It’s only been a few games but buy low window is closing quick. 
He’s going to strike out, but if he can keep it below the 40%+ it’s been and improve his hard hit rate he’s going to be a big second half asset. He’s showing signs of answering all the glaring question marks around him.

• Like 1

I need to see a little more than Rockie Road performances to buy back in over a couple of days - their pitchers have really been terrible this year outside of CO - but it’s a start!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

You really should try harder to temper them because he has a serial history of breaking the hearts of fantasy managers. However, I agree he definitely looks way better this time around in the small sample size.

EV average since coming back has been 100+ MPH. Today’s HR was on a high fastball which has been one the biggest question mark for him (it was a 93mph from chi chi and I’d like to see it vs better fastballs, but still it’s better than a swing and miss). I liked his double today. It was his hardest hit ball and it was against Lawrence who has closer-type stuff. It’s only been a few games but buy low window is closing quick. 
He’s going to strike out, but if he can keep it below the 40%+ it’s been and improve his hard hit rate he’s going to be a big second half asset. He’s showing signs of answering all the glaring question marks around him.

The double was very impressive.  Like you said Lawrence has some nasty stuff and the Keston smoked that ball the opposite way.  This guys biggest issue was getting barrels on the ball in or out of the strike zone.  It's so cliché to say but the ball really does jump off his bat.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I believe he has 5 K's in 13 ABs since the call up.   Too small a sample to make any conclusions, but enough to wonder if not much has changed.

He did strikeout 107 times in 84 games during his rookie year. He finished with a .303 average, 19 homers, and 49 RBIs. Not to say his K rate isn't concerning, but he has shown to be successful with a high K rate. He may just need to keep it at a reasonable %.

Edited by PhilaFanBoy
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

He did strikeout 107 times in 84 games during his rookie year. He finished with a .303 average, 19 homers, and 49 RBIs. Not to say his K rate isn't concerning, but he has shown to be successful with a high K rate. He may just need to keep it at a reasonable %.

We all know what he did in those 84 games.  He was awesome. Historically speaking tho, people who K as much as he does do not maintain numbers like that over the long run.  I believe a 20% K rate is considered average, 22% poor, and 25% is awful.  He's pushing 39% this season.  That's why the focus in here has been on his ability to make contact, and why we want to see him improve in that department.  He has the tools to be a terrific player if he does.  

• Like 3

He is still gonna swing and miss plenty (not a news flash, I know) but he has adjusted his swing mechanics, at least since his most recent call-up. His front leg is much more still and balanced and it isn't the exaggerated load transfer with an elongated front foot stride...it allows him to better use his fast wrists and let the ball travel into the zone. He can easily adjust to even plus fastballs as long as he isn't selling out for pull power. It is very much in the SSS territory, but it is quite promising.

• Like 4

He looks like a completely different player. The pitch he was useless against (high fastball) is suddenly one he's parking (albeit just twice in a few games, but that's a huge sign).

He's officially responded to the adjustment through hard work and great coaching. Now the question will be whether the league finds another hole in his swing. This dude could be right back on track.

Posted (edited)

Did this dude really just walk 3x in one game??

He's been getting RBI too, having greats ABs, and even stole a base yesterday.... I like where this is going!!

Edited by gregp
  • Like 1

Prior to latest callup: 48/8 K/BB with 14 hits ratio in 125 PA. .138 AVG

Since latest callup: 11/5/ K/BB with 10 hits in 40 PA. .278 AVG

I can't get excited about that quite yet. He's played 10 games of league-average 1B.

• Like 1

Reverting to old habits. I don’t think the Brewers had designs on bringing him back this soon but had their hands forced by injuries. He’s going to lose 2B eligibility after this season and that is going to rank his fantasy value. Really disappointing.