NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tua Tagovailoa 2021 Outlook

Didn't see a new thread for him yet, so figured I'd go ahead and start one.

Seems the 'Phins are hitching their wagon to Tua, having coming out and publicly saying he's the starting QB moving forward after a pretty mixed rookie season. Question is, did they really mean it and are they focused on adding more weapons and bolstering the line for Tua? Or, are they secretly trying to work a deal for Watson, or targeting one of the top QB's in the 2021 draft? Only time will tell, but if they are truly committed to Tua the only remaining question is can he be a true franchise QB at the pro level?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodgers went to Cal and was nationally ranked (please don't tell me his time at Butte is what made him a superstar), Wilson finished up at Wisconsin - not sure what your definition is of a big school?

I do - provided full health, I’d expect Tua to go from murdering the value of his chief weapons to elevating them to valuable fantasy assets.

that is the correct way to say it.    

1 hour ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Hopefully in 2021, everyone even the announcers start pronouncing his name correctly, they all say Tungavailoa

OK my fellow 'Phins fan. I only have one question for you...

Do you think Tua is the answer to the Dolphins long term plan at the QB position?

26 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Do you think Tua is the answer to the Dolphins long term plan at the QB position?

Id like to see them go for deshaun, otherwise its ride or die with toungue-o-violin-owa

On 2/18/2021 at 3:24 PM, The G Man said:

Depends on how patient Miami is willing to be. It may take Tua a bit to blossom, think of Bree's early career.  If they're expecting him to be a Mahomes level talent they've got the wrong guy, but Tua is definitely a franchise QB. 

On 2/18/2021 at 12:24 PM, The G Man said:

None ‘Phins Fan here. The answer still Yes though. 

As a Fitzmagic 100% stocker holder I was super biased and more like hoping that Tua would flop like a fish so that the damn coach can eat his bad decision at the time. But kid was so poised and calm and collected and from a 25 years NFL fan point of view I think I have seen enough from Tua to say Miami might finally have a franchise QB for the first time since Marino. 

10 hours ago, ginocan said:

None ‘Phins Fan here. The answer still Yes though. 

As a Fitzmagic 100% stocker holder I was super biased and more like hoping that Tua would flop like a fish so that the damn coach can eat his bad decision at the time. But kid was so poised and calm and collected and from a 25 years NFL fan point of view I think I have seen enough from Tua to say Miami might finally have a franchise QB for the first time since Marino. 

Hope you're right Gino, but I have my doubts. Although, I'm certainly pulling for him.

One thing he has going for him is he's incredibly humble and grounded. His parents should be proud. They did a really great job of raising him IMO.

• Like 1

Said it once before, but Alabama QB's suck, and I don't think Tua is any different.  They aren't primed for success in a program that has an o-line and pocket that holds up every play, WR's that are 10-15 yards open, and a coach that outcoaches the opposition every time.  The best QB's come from small schools where they had constant adversity.  I think this will be the next big Bama QB flop sadly. 

20 minutes ago, kdko said:

Said it once before, but Alabama QB's suck, and I don't think Tua is any different.  They aren't primed for success in a program that has an o-line and pocket that holds up every play, WR's that are 10-15 yards open, and a coach that outcoaches the opposition every time.  The best QB's come from small schools where they had constant adversity.  I think this will be the next big Bama QB flop sadly. 

so Jalen Hurts is doomed? Or did he spend enough time at Oklahoma to get the Alabama stench off of him?

I think it has more to do with they type of QBs that came before Tua. Lots of game managers but that doesn’t nullify Tua. 

so you think Tua is basically AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy?

I wouldn’t write anyone off based on where they chose to go to college that seems foolish. Much rather judge each player on their own merits.

there have been lots of super successful Alabama QBs but recent history has had them with more game managers than Elite talents but that is turning around a bit recently with Tua, Hurts, and now Mac Jones. 

• Like 1

Miami fans think Tua doesn't throw down the field well enough, but he does protect the ball. Seattle coaches don't think Wilson protects the ball well enough, but throws a great deep ball. Sounds to me like a match made in heaven.

5 hours ago, kdko said:

How about guys who went to small schools and faced constant adversity and still sucked (see Joe Flacco from U of Delaware as a prime example)?  And how do you grade guys that aren't from Alabama but aren't from "small schools" either?  Geno Smith was lighting it up the year before he was drafted and made Stedman Bailey and Tayvon Austin look like the next superstar NFL receivers then got drafted and busted big-time but not before being punched by his own teammate and getting benched by multiple teams multiple times. Yeah I'll agree that Ohio St, USC, and Alabama have been producing QBs that tend to get drafted high and underperform in the NFL in recent years, but I don't know if that's a function of the college. 

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

so Jalen Hurts is doomed? Or did he spend enough time at Oklahoma to get the Alabama stench off of him?

I think it has more to do with they type of QBs that came before Tua. Lots of game managers but that doesn’t nullify Tua. 

so you think Tua is basically AJ McCarron or Greg McElroy?

I wouldn’t write anyone off based on where they chose to go to college that seems foolish. Much rather judge each player on their own merits.

there have been lots of super successful Alabama QBs but recent history has had them with more game managers than Elite talents but that is turning around a bit recently with Tua, Hurts, and now Mac Jones. 

It's just a testament to how good of a program Bama has.  Tua is more apt to be the next AJ McCarron than the next Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson.

Is it foolish?  What good QB has ever come out of Alabama since Saban has been there?  They produce complete busts, and this is probably your bias coming into play trying to refute that.  Not a believer in Hurts or Jones either.  I think anyone that bites on Jones early in the first (which someone will) is going to whiff completely.

11 minutes ago, jumper said:

How about guys who went to small schools and faced constant adversity and still sucked (see Joe Flacco from U of Delaware as a prime example)?  And how do you grade guys that aren't from Alabama but aren't from "small schools" either?  Geno Smith was lighting it up the year before he was drafted and made Stedman Bailey and Tayvon Austin look like the next superstar NFL receivers then got drafted and busted big-time but not before being punched by his own teammate and getting benched by multiple teams multiple times. Yeah I'll agree that Ohio St, USC, and Alabama have been producing QBs that tend to get drafted high and underperform in the NFL in recent years, but I don't know if that's a function of the college. 

That's not the point.  It's not that all small school QBs are great, but the best in the league went to smaller college programs.  There's no denying it.  All the best QB's in the league went to a smaller school (Mahomes, A-Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Prescott, etc.) or was like Brady and got benched for 2 years in college and had to fight their way to start, not just inherit it like big school QB's.  Deshaun Watson is really the only QB that comes to mind that is top 10 and from a big school.  And i'm sorry, but Tua will never be Watson.  Adversity and struggle builds these QB's up in college and makes them more pro-ready, then someone who starts for Alabama or Ohio State.  Buy into a Bama or Ohio State QB and more likely than not you're getting a bust.

Check out this list and how utterly disappointing it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_starting_quarterbacks

5 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

there have been lots of super successful Alabama QBs

Meant to address this.  Like who in the last 50 years??  😂

1 minute ago, kdko said:

That's not the point.  It's not that all small school QBs are great, but the best in the league went to smaller college programs.  There's no denying it.  All the best QB's in the league went to a smaller school (Mahomes, A-Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Josh Allen, Prescott, etc.) or was like Brady and got benched for 2 years in college and had to fight their way to start, not just inherit it like big school QB's.  Deshaun Watson is really the only QB that comes to mind that is top 10 and from a big school.  And i'm sorry, but Tua will never be Watson.  Adversity and struggle builds these QB's up in college and makes them more pro-ready, then someone who starts for Alabama or Ohio State.  Buy into a Bama or Ohio State QB and more likely than not you're getting a bust.

Check out this list and how utterly disappointing it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Alabama_Crimson_Tide_starting_quarterbacks

So does the Alabama bust theory only apply to QBs then?  Alabama QBs aren't the only ones who get to play on a team full of NFL-level talent playing inferior "normal college athletes" in other schools, but you seem to assert that's the causal reason QBs proceed to bust in the NFL.  If so why are only 'Bama QBs impacted by this and not skill player guys like Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry as well as probably an entire Pro Bowl team worth of defensive NFL starters who are Alabama alums? 

9 minutes ago, kdko said:

It's just a testament to how good of a program Bama has.  Tua is more apt to be the next AJ McCarron than the next Aaron Rodgers, or Russell Wilson.

Is it foolish?  What good QB has ever come out of Alabama since Saban has been there?  They produce complete busts, and this is probably your bias coming into play trying to refute that.  Not a believer in Hurts or Jones either.  I think anyone that bites on Jones early in the first (which someone will) is going to whiff completely.

if you want to change what you said then that is fine. I can address that as well. 

you said no good QBs come from Alabama and that is false. Now you say no good QBs come out of Alabama under Saban. Well that is a different story altogether until recently Saban has won with game managing QBs but his philosophy has shifted the last few years and he has recruited guys like Jalen Hurts, Tua, Mac Jones,  now he has Bryce Young and Paul Tyson, both NFL prospects so just because Saban used game managing QBs early in his coaching career does not mean he is married to them. He has changed with the times and his QB recruiting has changed as well especially with the help of Steve Sarkisian as his OC and QB recruiter. Now he has Bill O’Brien recruiting QBs for him who has Tom Brady and Deshaun Watson on his resume for QBs he has coached.

point is you don’t just write off a guy because of where he went to college. You have to take a closer look at the situation and context of what went into those teams.

You are the one making judgements on Hurts, Tua, and Jones before any of them have 2 years of NFL experience and you are doing it solely based off of where they went to college. That sounds like bias. 

Just now, jumper said:

So does the Alabama bust theory only apply to QBs then?  Alabama QBs aren't the only ones who get to play on a team full of NFL-level talent playing inferior "normal college athletes" in other schools, but you seem to assert that's the causal reason QBs proceed to bust in the NFL.  If so why are only 'Bama QBs impacted by this and not skill player guys like Julio Jones, Amari Cooper, Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry as well as probably an entire Pro Bowl team worth of defensive NFL starters who are Alabama alums? 

Yes.  When you have the best coach, the best O-Line, the best WR's, the best RB's, top D, not much else rests on the QB's shoulders.  

Can you name a good QB to come out of Bama and be a success in the NFL?  I bet you can't.