NBC Sports Edge Forums

Tua Tagovailoa 2021 Outlook

Posted (edited)

The argument isn't that not having pro bowlers is an excuse for Tua. He doesn't have an excuse to be bad with their roster because it's not horrible.

The argument is in response to the claim that their weapons are somehow really good. They're not. 

A QB doesn't have much excuses to not at least be decent in the NFL. They should be able to produce something. They probably won't have great efficiency and won't contend but there's no excuse to put up the awful numbers a guy like Jones or Darnold put up last year for instance. 

Edited by Gohawks
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodgers went to Cal and was nationally ranked (please don't tell me his time at Butte is what made him a superstar), Wilson finished up at Wisconsin - not sure what your definition is of a big school?

Are we only counting Pro Bowlers who were voted in, and not the ones who were injury swaps? Like Waddle the best of all the guys they have.  Fuller is very dangerous during the 5-6 games per seas

Posted Images

There is also the possibility that Tua will be good in real life because he plays efficiently within the Dolphin's new offensive system and the team wins many of its games thanks to a strong defense and running game, but bad for fantasy because he does not put up big passing yardage and TD numbers.

Kind of like a pre-2007 Tom Brady.  Miami would be happy with that, but we ff players will not.

16 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

There is also the possibility that Tua will be good in real life because he plays efficiently within the Dolphin's new offensive system and the team wins many of its games thanks to a strong defense and running game, but bad for fantasy because he does not put up big passing yardage and TD numbers.

Kind of like a pre-2007 Tom Brady.  Miami would be happy with that, but we ff players will not.

Good point, but a good QB is one that the team can depend on late in games to win it when it's a one possession game. When you're down 4 with 2 minutes left in the game type of situations. No one has to win all the games like that, but If Tua makes the leap to win even half of those games that come down to the wire with the ball in his hands, then he is a success. If the Dolphins win the games only by their Defense and Special Teams, and we still lose the games that we needed the QB to pull his own weight in, then by all means draft another QB already.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2021 at 2:21 PM, Gohawks said:

Tua and Daniel Jones both have overrated weapons. In Tuas instance, none of these are even a legit WR1.

Parker has been a tease his entire career, Fuller is good except he's injured all the time, Williams is nothing special, Waddle is a rookie, Gesicki is solid but nothing special, and Wilson isn't even worth mentioning. 

Then you factor in that their line still sucks.

There's depth but none of it is impressive. 

I don’t know if I agree, here....

On 5/18/2021 at 6:14 AM, SharkSwimmer said:

“...A good quarteback can elevate these guys into solid fantasy numbers.  And Fitzpatrick did, last year.  Tua didn't.”

...And this is why.

On 5/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

was Fitz coming off a hip injury as a rookie in a COVID season with no training camp?

No, but you have been saying it’s the “weapons,” and not Tua.

There is no real way to know this, but in my eyes, I believe 2020 Darnold, Winston (2019 as well), Newton, Bridgewater Herbert, Burrow (for an argument that the aforementioned have been in the league longer) could have made more noise with Parker, Williams and Gesicki than Tua had.

And save for Herbert, these guys ain’t Pro Bowlers.

And just for the record about pro bowlers, Parker should’ve been one in 2019. When DHop dropped out instead of rewarding Parker they gave it to Courtland Sutton. Sutton’s 2019 numbers: 72/1112/6 with a ypr of 15.4. Parker’s 2019 numbers: 72/1202/9 with a ypr of 16.7. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

2021 will be the real season to evaluate Tua, not everyone lights it up year 1

But it's all solely on him, I don't believe the notion that the Fins offensive pieces are weak. 

This aint the Jets 

With that being said , expect a pretty decent 2nd year campaign

Logic & history all point to that direction  

Ofcourse I'm a bit biased .. have a couple rookie cards  🤫

Edited by RunCMC
35 minutes ago, JoeJoe88 said:

And just for the record about pro bowlers, Parker should’ve been one in 2019. When DHop dropped out instead of rewarding Parker they gave it to Courtland Sutton. Sutton’s 2019 numbers: 72/1112/6 with a ypr of 15.4. Parker’s 2019 numbers: 72/1202/9 with a ypr of 16.7. 

It isn't entirely based off of numbers. There is also a popular vote. Hence why pro bowls are meaningless. AP votes matter more.

9 minutes ago, devaster said:

It isn't entirely based off of numbers. There is also a popular vote. Hence why pro bowls are meaningless. AP votes matter more.

Ya pro bowl is a bit of a sham now. I remember one year Darius Leonard made First team all pro but didn’t make a pro bowl. How’s that even happen? 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

My man threw 5 picks yesterday…

It was not a great day for Tua, but they were apparently practicing (at points) during a very heavy downpour. Some were his fault, some were off the hands of receivers, and then you have the weather conditions.

Not making excuses for him, just putting your post into context. I'll be the first one to say it's put up or shut up for Tua this year.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, nn4mz said:

My man threw 5 picks yesterday…

Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa ‘electric’ during day two of minicamp

No one will talk about it, but Miami Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa was impressive on Wednesday, throwing six touchdowns and ZERO interceptions at minicamp.

• Haha 1

Remember last offseason when Josh Allen was throwing INTs and struggling in camp? Of course not, bc he killed it when it mattered. All the minicamp/training camp stuff is just premature hype/sky is falling. 

Just as it was a bit of an overreaction to be too critical of him after his 5 picks the other day, so is getting overly excited about his practice a day later. While it was good to see him bounce back, let's see how he looks when the bullets start flyin' in September.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Guess Flores told the D to back off and let the gimp regain some confidence...

... i think even ol' Cleetz got a chuckle outta this - well done 👏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1