NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matthew Boyd 2021 Outlook

Boyd was dreadful last year. Only reason I have some interest is based on the rumors of the ball being "de-juiced." If anyone stands to gain the most from less HRs, it would be Boyd. Boyd still has strikeout potential and should be allowed to go deep into games and have a relatively unrestricted innings limit.

With an NFBC ADP of 296, he's basically free.

• Like 1

He’s a fantastic gamble. He threw the changeup more and it was getting swings and misses. The BBs went up a bit but that generally isn’t a big problem for him.

All he needs to do is just not give up so many HRs. Enter the dejuiced ball.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Big Tuna said:

Im not putting too much stock in last year's "season" - Ill be buying low on lots of guys who were lousy last year....Boyd is one of them

He was pretty lousy in 2018 and 2019 too.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Big Tuna said:

Im not putting too much stock in last year's "season" - Ill be buying low on lots of guys who were lousy last year....Boyd is one of them

You may as well double down and go after Robbie Ray too.

4 hours ago, jb_power said:

You may as well double down and go after Robbie Ray too.

Hi it’s me, I own both of these polished turds in dynasty. Yolo

as for risk/reward, yeah they are cheap and have k upside.

id rather have bad pitchers who can ring up the Ks than bad pitchers with prospect hype (cough, Dylan cease)

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 1

What kind of K upside does Boyd really have? Obviously, 2019 gives us an upside, but that seems to be more outlier than anything else. He piled up Ks in 2019, but never has in any other point in his career. Even last year, he struck out just 60 in 60.1 ip. Aside from 2019, his career k/9 is 7.8, and if he doesn't get a ton of Ks like he did in 2019, I just don't see the value. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Thanks 1

if I remember right, he seemed to have one melt down inning a game. The rest of the game he would be pretty decent. Hrs allowed and Walks can also tend to be an issue.

He always seems to me like he should be better than what he is.  But I would take a chance on him at the right ADP.

• 1 month later...