NBC Sports Edge Forums

2021 Spring Training Thread

With teams starting to report pitchers and catchers (Yankees today, majority of MLB over next two days), figured it was time to start this thread. Full slate of Spring Training games are set to start on February 28 (less than 2 weeks!). I can't wait for the BSOHL stories...

Coming off one of the weirdest seasons ever, there will be a lot of storylines this Spring. Some of the stories I will be monitoring:

- The reports from all teams on how starters will be utilized (6 man rotation, openers, inning limits, etc.). This is still a huge question mark for virtually all teams.
- How will Dom Smith / JD Davis / Jon Villar / Jeff McNeil split playing time?
- Stanton, Judge, Lamet, Strasburg health
- Dodgers rotation, Padres rotation back end construction
- Velocity watch: Charlie Morton, Max Scherzer, Clayton Kershaw, Carlos Carrasco, Zack Greinke are some key names. Will be watching for any big jumps / declines in any other pitchers.
- Any more information on the mystery 5 teams that now have a humidor, and more information on the new de-juiced ball.

Any other big storylines I am missing?

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Any other big storylines I am missing?

That baseball is back and they are trying for a full 162-games!!!

• Like 5

Great topic.  Hope its allowed to stay.  Spring training does provide a lot of insight.   That said, I think I'll be avoiding this thread as pretty much every spring training story I've ever followed and got enamored with had come back to bite me.  3 years ago, I reached for odor and miggy in back to back rounds because they were in great shape and hitting bombs in Spring training.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think its a fairly safe bet 6 man rotations are to be expected because everyone in baseball pitched so few innings last year.. IF they're not, then shorter outings are to be expected.  The brewrrs have already stated that none of their starters will throw 100 more innings than they did last year.  So 170-180 migjt be the absolute most you get from a starter even if they're fully healthy all year 

Edited by Cesare13

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

I think its a fairly safe bet 6 man rotations are to be expected because everyone in baseball pitched so few innings last year.. IF they're not, then shorter outings are to be expected.  The brewrrs have already stated that none of their starters will throw 100 more innings than they did last year.  So 170-180 migjt be the absolute most you get from a starter even if they're fully healthy all year 

Strategy-wise...it might be of value to target guys like Severino, Syndergaard and Sale to finish off the season strong while many other pitchers are weening down their innings and skipping starts...or being shut down altogether. Having 2-3 of these guys could prove huge for a stretch run. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Great topic.  Hope its allowed to stay.  Spring training does provide a lot of insight.   That said, I think I'll be avoiding this thread as pretty much every spring training story I've ever followed and got enamored with had come back to bite me.  3 years ago, I reached for odor and miggy in back to back rounds because they were in great shape and hitting bombs in Spring training.

Spring training quotes to roll your eyes at and ignore:

"He's in the best shape of his life."

And never forget about that quote's evil twin sister:

"He's added (insert absurd number here) pounds of muscle this off-season!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
4 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Yeah I think the Brewers situation is the only one out of all MLB teams that has essentially said what their plan is. I'm hoping all the reporters on the beat for these teams are asking this question and are able to get an answer.

3 hours ago, Bash Bros said:

Also can't fall in love with "he's changed his swing by watching Joey votto film."   I mean, guys CAN change their swings,  but if if it was so easy,Iike just adding 5 degrees to your launch angle, everyone would do it.  I DO take more stalk I'm guys developing or showing off new pitches though.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Bash Bros said:

Just read that in the Bregman thread. Although, it sounds like he's bulked up so much, I might be avoiding him.

And I always add James Paxton to the velo watch list.

• Like 1

Spring training "new pitches" news has a way different vibe in 2021 than 2011, though. In 2011, you'd get one sentence that "Alex Wood has a new changeup." Nowadays you get a slow-action camera angle with measurements and then you (the fantasy player) specifically hone in on this pitch and batter swings during March. You're going to have to stream like a motherbleeper this year to reach your 1400ip roto cap, might as well study your potential streams now before Fangraphs and Brooks have all the data handy for any fantasy chimp to look up.

• Like 4

*gavel*

Spring Training has officially begun.

Tigers INF prospect Spencer Torkelson cut his right index finger on a "make-shift" can opener.

Who among us hasn't been in this situation? “He’s going to be limited for a couple of days,” Tigers manager AJ Hinch told reporters on Thursday. “He’s not going to be able to hit or throw. It’s mild, but he won’t be able to play in the first few games.” The cut did require stitches, but fortunately, it shouldn't have any long-term effects for the first-overall pick of last year's draft and one of the best hitting prospects in baseball. 

• Like 2

Odubel looking like the front runner early for Phillies CF job