Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dylan Cease 2021 Outlook


meh2
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m probably going to regret starting this thread, but I’m slightly intrigued by Dylan Cease this year. He’s been mostly hot garbage for fantasy purposes and I’ve mostly bashed him repeatedly for having awful command, but there’s some chatter about him working with the White Sox new pitching coach who’s credited with Lucas Giolito’s turnaround. With an ADP of 391, he’s not going to cost much. I’ll be looking to add shares at that cost, but he’ll be kept on the shortest of leashes.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/16/2021 at 9:24 PM, Big League Choo said:

Hopefully that pitching coach can do for him what he did for Giolito

Nothing to do with Cease but I love your user name. Perfectly stupid. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

too many walks and not enough Ks last year, many other dart throws I prefer right now. Would need to see those numbers start to reverse before I buy in, personally.

He's definitely not a guy that diving into his numbers is gonna get you excited about. For me it's purely the reports that have me interested. Nasty stuff, veteran catcher saying he likes what he sees, new pitching coach that "fixed" his rotation mate, new technology being used, best shape of his life, etc. Easier to get burned that way, but I'm taking a shot. Likely that he'll suck again this year, I'll give up, and he's a CY candidate in 2021.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He's definitely not a guy that diving into his numbers is gonna get you excited about. For me it's purely the reports that have me interested. Nasty stuff, veteran catcher saying he likes what he sees, new pitching coach that "fixed" his rotation mate, new technology being used, best shape of his life, etc. Easier to get burned that way, but I'm taking a shot. Likely that he'll suck again this year, I'll give up, and he's a CY candidate in 2021.

100% this. I’m buying the narrative that a young pitcher with plus, plus velocity can make changes with a new delivery and a new coach. I’ve got several shares but he’ll be sitting on my bench until I see something. If not, burn and churn!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am a White Sox (and Pirates) fan and also have some shares of Dylan Cease. Needless to say I am very excited about what I hear from camp and his first spring showing was generally very positive. However, last year was a dumpster fire and until I see it on a sustained level I am not sure ... YET. However, IF Cease turns it around, then the White Sox should sign Ethan Katz to the highest contract of any pitching coach in the sport. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Brye said:

😂 but in all seriousness, he’s a strong buy ..... I’m diamond 💎  handsing him 

You will only have diamond hands if you keep him after he walks 7 and lets up two grandslams in one inning. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

You will only have diamond hands if you keep him after he walks 7 and lets up two grandslams in one inning. 

Same could be said of Lucas Giolito 3 years ago 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean at the very least everyone has to watch list him. The stuff is there. This new pitching coach is legit.  Harnessing control is what pretty much all pitcher breakouts are made of. It happens every year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm definitely going to monitor this guy and a number of the other young arms like Pearson, Mize, etc. but unless he gains some control and stops walking 5 batters per 9, he won't be rosterable in most fantasy leagues..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Tigers mainly plus got the 2nd half of dh generally bats are quiet. I started in previous start and was disappointed. Hes part of my revolving door position, get those walks down he mite get permanent roster spot.

Watched much of the start and I would give him more credit than that. He usually has no idea where the ball is going and he was mostly pinpoint with everything today. He talked with Lance Lynn and their pitching coach and changed his release point on his breaking stuff and just like that he went from having the worst command of moving pitches in baseball to looking like 99 Pedro. Hopefully it sticks.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Watched much of the start and I would give him more credit than that. He usually has no idea where the ball is going and he was mostly pinpoint with everything today. He talked with Lance Lynn and their pitching coach and changed his release point on his breaking stuff and just like that he went from having the worst command of moving pitches in baseball to looking like 99 Pedro. Hopefully it sticks.

I read a quote saying he wanted to "Aim small, miss small..." Basically said he was pissed that after such a great spring, that he suddenly became too focused on mechanics. Prior to last night's start, he said he was just going to work on hitting his spots and let his mechanics be what they may. Apparently, this was a good move by all parties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

I read a quote saying he wanted to "Aim small, miss small..." Basically said he was pissed that after such a great spring, that he suddenly became too focused on mechanics. Prior to last night's start, he said he was just going to work on hitting his spots and let his mechanics be what they may. Apparently, this was a good move by all parties.

Ditching his mechanics?  I am not encouraged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...