NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Carson 2021 Outlook

12446.jpg

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar reports the Seahawks are unlikely to re-sign Chris Carson this offseason. 

Dugar said the $8 million salary floor that the franchise tag unofficially sets means Carson "is unlikely to take a deal averaging less than that on a long-term extension." He predicts "Seattle is unlikely to spend any more than that on a long-term deal, meaning Carson will be running through defenders for another team in 2021." There's almost no chance Carson -- whose rookie deal expired after the 2020 season -- doesn't cash in with a team willing to pay him. Carson's departure could compel the run-establishing Pete Carroll to take a running back in this spring's NFL Draft. Dugar said he "would be surprising if Carroll spent big on a running back" in free agency. Rashaad Penny, entering his age-25 season and signed through 2021, could conceivably get a crack at the team's starting gig if Carson signs elsewhere. Second-year back DeeJay Dallas struggled mightily in a couple 2020 spot starts and would probably profile as the team's RB2 or RB3 headed into 2021. 

Source: The Athletic
Feb 16, 2021, 11:32 AM ET
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can think of one team in need of a near-elite RB: the Seahawks.  It doesn’t make much sense to simultaneously commit to a run-first approach and let one of the best in the business walk out of the b

If the Patriots sign Chris Carson, they may not have a single fantasy relevant player on the entire team. Bill may be trolling on purpose. 

Why would the Falcons need Chris Carson when they already have...um. Brian Hill.

An incompetent team will sign Chris Carson.

Not that Carson isn't good--he is.  Very tough runner.

It is just that paying big bucks for a free agent RB is a loser strategy.

That said...Texans?  Raiders?  Jets?  Shudder...Lions?  Gulp. 

Already being rumored Mike Davis could be his replacement...

The Athletic's Michael-Shawn Dugar reports Mike Davis could be among Seattle's free agency targets.

Dugar said Davis -- coming off an excellent season with Carolina -- would reunite with the Seahawks if -- or when -- Chris Carson walks in free agency. Davis started a dozen games and racked up 1,015 total yards for the Panthers last season as Christian McCaffrey struggled with various injuries. Davis started eight games for the Seahawks over the 2017 and 2018 seasons, acquitting himself as a solid if unspectacular every-down back. If Carson signs elsewhere in the coming weeks, Seattle's backfield will be one of the more muddled backfields in the league headed into the 2021 season. 

Source: The Athletic
Feb 16, 2021, 12:20 PM ET

Interesting development. The RB market will be fascinating to monitor. Most teams probably aren't going to break the bank for a RB, so the good RBs who are available could come at a discount. We might also see some 1 year deals for good players who are hoping to cash in next year. Or there could be a team or 2 that are willing to spend big and lock up whoever they want. 

I can think of one team in need of a near-elite RB: the Seahawks.  It doesn’t make much sense to simultaneously commit to a run-first approach and let one of the best in the business walk out of the building in FA.

• Like 4

I'd be without fingernails if I was Carson.   Maybe 7-8 teams look like they'll need a running back, and only a few of those really have space to spend on one, assuming they even wish to go the free agency route.    If they do, Aaron Jones is the first call they're making right now, and Kenyan Drake might be the second.    

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Falcons?

I like that possibility. Especially after reading this blurb (posting here because of the relevance to Atlanta potentially being a more run heavy offense in 2021):

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Jason Butt reports Hayden Hurst could see more targets in the Falcons' new offense. 

Butt named Hurst, who had 87 targets in 2020, as a player who could benefit from new head coach Arthur Smith's offensive system. Before being hired as the Falcons' head coach, Smith operated one of the NFL's most run-heavy and efficient offenses in Tennessee, utilizing play action as effectively as any offense in the league. Tight ends played a quietly important part in Smith's passing game. In 2020, Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser combined for 118 targets, with Smith dominating opponents in the red zone on his way to eight touchdowns. Hurst in his first year with the Falcons saw the ninth most targets among tight ends and ran the fourth most tight end pass routes. The Falcons are likely to throw fewer passes in 2021 under Smith's guidance, but Hurst -- and other Atlanta pass catchers -- could see more quality targets. "With this direction on offense, Hurst’s skill set has a chance to be utilized to its full potential," Butt said. 

Source: AJC.com
Feb 17, 2021, 9:38 AM ET

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The G Man said:

I like that possibility. Especially after reading this blurb (posting here because of the relevance to Atlanta potentially being a more run heavy offense in 2021):

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Jason Butt reports Hayden Hurst could see more targets in the Falcons' new offense. 

Butt named Hurst, who had 87 targets in 2020, as a player who could benefit from new head coach Arthur Smith's offensive system. Before being hired as the Falcons' head coach, Smith operated one of the NFL's most run-heavy and efficient offenses in Tennessee, utilizing play action as effectively as any offense in the league. Tight ends played a quietly important part in Smith's passing game. In 2020, Jonnu Smith and Anthony Firkser combined for 118 targets, with Smith dominating opponents in the red zone on his way to eight touchdowns. Hurst in his first year with the Falcons saw the ninth most targets among tight ends and ran the fourth most tight end pass routes. The Falcons are likely to throw fewer passes in 2021 under Smith's guidance, but Hurst -- and other Atlanta pass catchers -- could see more quality targets. "With this direction on offense, Hurst’s skill set has a chance to be utilized to its full potential," Butt said. 

Source: AJC.com
Feb 17, 2021, 9:38 AM ET

The Falcons aren't willing to hit the reset button, and have a run-heavy coach, so I'd expect them to go hard for a Carson, Aaron Jones, or Kenyan Drake in free agency. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

The Falcons aren't willing to hit the reset button, and have a run-heavy coach, so I'd expect them to go hard for a Carson, Aaron Jones, or Kenyan Drake in free agency. 

I keep forgetting about Aaron Jones. He's definitely the top back hitting the FA market IMO (assuming the Packers don't re-sign him).

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The G Man said:

I keep forgetting about Aaron Jones. He's definitely the top back hitting the FA market IMO (assuming the Packers don't re-sign him).

I personally would lurrrrrrrrve it if the Falcons go get Aaron Jones (woulkd be very good for my shares) but I think Carson should be a good fit too, and possibly a bit more affordable. 

• Like 2

Aaron Jones is really good.  But Chris Carson fits the bruiser back role Arthur Smith has grown accustomed to with Derrick Henry.

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 12:12 PM, BMcP said:

I can think of one team in need of a near-elite RB: the Seahawks.  It doesn’t make much sense to simultaneously commit to a run-first approach and let one of the best in the business walk out of the building in FA.

Still not worth 7M

• Like 2
On 2/16/2021 at 3:52 PM, SharkSwimmer said:

Why would the Falcons need Chris Carson when they already have...um.

Brian Hill.

Remember when he attacked the doubters on Twitter? LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Seahawks will not franchise tag RB Chris Carson, making him a free agent. 

Running backs are infrequent tag recipients, but you never know in Seattle. Carson would have netted $8.68 million under the tag. One of the top backs atop a soft running back market, Carson could get priced out of even run-happy Seattle's range. The 26-year-old's injury history is his big red flag as he heads to the open market. 

Mar 9, 2021, 2:19 PM ET
18 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Feels like Miami, Atlanta, or a new deal with Seattle. Can't really see many other teams where he'd fit. 

Why not Jets?  They have cap money to burn and not like they care about scheme fit or any of that newfangled smart boy talk. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, jumper said:

Why not Jets?  They have cap money to burn and not like they care about scheme fit or any of that newfangled smart boy talk. 

Duh. Jets too. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lolcopter said:

intriguing idea but you have to wonder if that caps his TD upside with Allen's rushing prowess... no more than being a Jet I guess

Yeah for sure that’s a good pt. Give him Zach moss 15 attempts inside the 10. Should convert on enough.