NBC Sports Edge Forums

Darnell Mooney 2021 Outlook

If you're looking for a WR that could make a Diontae Johnson type leap in their second season then Mooney might be the one to target. Mooney excelled at getting separation as rookie but was held back by the same old Bears QB play. With Robinson potentially gone that will open up a lot of targets this coming season and the Bears have a chance to improve at the QB position if they get Wentz. 

As a Bears fan, he really outperformed my expectations... However, I'd temper expectations, especially when comparing to someone like Diontae. Mooney has more of a complementary skillset, as opposed to being the focal point or alpha of an offense. I think he can be really good, and useful in fantasy, but I don't see WR1 upside. 

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, sSektor said:

Robinson still there and a minimal at best QB improvement. Still an interesting late round dart throw I think.

Unfortunately there is likely a 2nd/3rd round WR coming as well

2022 with ARob gone will be his shot

Not the worst WR5 if he stays that low.  He's currently not a top 60 WR but data that late is extremely unreliable.   A possible leap forward candidate that you can cut if he doesn't float your boat in the first month or so.   

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched a lot of tape of him last year and his hands and ability to break away from coverage were already bordering on elite. And of course he has insane speed. He reminds me a bit of a smaller Stefon Diggs. Obviously not saying he has that type of upside but I will be pretty stunned if he doesn't make a leap this year. Underrated stat: Mooney was on the field for a higher % of pass plays than any other WR in the NFL last year. He's going to get a chance to really ball out.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I watched a lot of tape of him last year and his hands and ability to break away from coverage were already bordering on elite. And of course he has insane speed. He reminds me a bit of a smaller Stefon Diggs. Obviously not saying he has that type of upside but I will be pretty stunned if he doesn't make a leap this year. Underrated stat: Mooney was on the field for a higher % of pass plays than any other WR in the NFL last year. He's going to get a chance to really ball out.

I also viewed him as being a similar player to rookie Diggs albeit with much less opportunity. Lets hope Fields drastically changes the outlook of the Bears offense once he takes the reigns.

Edited by sSektor