NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clint Frazier 2021 Outlook

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Clint literally just played against a righty.  Tonight.  Zeuch had around a .180 BAA against righties necessitating a last-minute change, in Boone’s view.

I don't know what to tell you, Boone said he's gonna play Gardner a lot. He's been benched 3 times in the last 6 games. That looks like a platoon with Gardner. I am not saying I agree with Boone's decision, but that seems to be what is going on as of late.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post mortems being written in mid April. Fantasy baseball is back baby!

Gardner has been a better player, simply put.  And Frazier was due to start today until the last-minute Zeuch substitution.  He hasn’t been used in a platoon, short-side or no.

65 plate appearances with runners in scoring position and hasn't gotten 1 RBI

2 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I don't know what to tell you, Boone said he's gonna play Gardner a lot. He's been benched 3 times in the last 6 games. That looks like a platoon with Gardner. I am not saying I agree with Boone's decision, but that seems to be what is going on as of late.

Yes: the decision to re-sign Gardner, combined with the lackluster effort of all Yankee starters thus far, made starting Gardner at times a foregone conclusion.  But it is not a “platoon” as that word is customarily defined.  And I don’t expect Frazier to be the only one to be benched in favor of Gardner starts from here on out.  Calling it a “platoon” just isn’t accurate.

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Yes: the decision to re-sign Gardner, combined with the lackluster effort of all Yankee starters thus far, made starting Gardner at times a foregone conclusion.  But it is not a “platoon” as that word is customarily defined.  And I don’t expect Frazier to be the only one to be benched in favor of Gardner starts from here on out.  Calling it a “platoon” just isn’t accurate.

I was reading what Boone said, they plan to play the matchups cause he is obsessed with the righty, lefty matchup and plans to bench Frazier against tougher righties. It's basically a platoon. They also don't like Frazier's defense which is another reason why we might see Gardner more often now.

Just now, Picard56 said:

I was reading what Boone said, they plan to play the matchups cause he is obsessed with the righty, lefty matchup and plans to bench Frazier against tougher righties. It's basically a platoon. They also don't like Frazier's defense which is another reason why we might see Gardner more often now.

Are you referring to this quote from Boone?  Or have I missed something more recent?

Obviously people have been asking me a lot about Frazier lately. The reality is he’s started nine of 12 games, I sat him two games in a row where I felt he was scuffling a bit and Gardy was on a good little run. I guess I understand the question, but let’s ask it a month or six weeks from now and see what the body of work looks like and the regularity works like.”

14 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Are you referring to this quote from Boone?  Or have I missed something more recent?

Obviously people have been asking me a lot about Frazier lately. The reality is he’s started nine of 12 games, I sat him two games in a row where I felt he was scuffling a bit and Gardy was on a good little run. I guess I understand the question, but let’s ask it a month or six weeks from now and see what the body of work looks like and the regularity works like.”

“Bottom line is Gardy’s going to play a lot whether he spots in center, whether he gets starts in left and I like the way he’s playing as well. So they’re going to end up playing a lot,” Boone said. “Fraz is, as I tell him, he’s gonna rake and he’s going to be a really good player for us this year. Let’s judge these things out ahead a little bit more.”

“Fraz rakes and he’s gonna rake. But we have a really good player in Gardy too,” he said before the game Wednesday. “So let’s make more judgments on these things when we have a month or two of body of work. This was a case of today was a little bit unique in that I had a lineup an hour ago that looked different. Sometimes I decide lineups the night before but a lot of times you’re looking ahead to who you’re facing, so when you’re going to give a guy a rest or when you’re going to get a guy into the lineup. This was a little bit unique because you have [Ross] Stripling and [T.J.] Zeuch, two really different skillsets and two really different matchup guys. It was more about that in today’s a little bit unique.”

Also not directly Boone's words but from another blurb:

Speaking of Gardner, he got the nod over Clint Frazier again, which seems to be becoming a trend. And the excuse of “balancing the lineup” simply doesn’t do it for us anymore. Hicks, Gardner, Rougned Odor and Jay Bruce gave the Yankees FOUR lefties on Wednesday. You do not need that many lefties when you’re facing TJ Zeuch, Trent Thornton, Anthony Castro and Rafael Dolis.

So it looks like he's gonna pick and choose which righties that Frazier is gonna face. Maybe not a traditional platoon, but it sure is platoon-ish. I say let the kid play, but Gardner is gonna be a thorn in his side in the early going again.

Edited by Picard56
  • Like 1

Yes - and he deserves to be, until Frazier proves otherwise.  Maybe the more accurate way of putting it is “he won’t be starting every day.”  But anyone understanding the situation knew that was likely.  You and I both know injuries will start opening up more PT for everyone - but Frazier is being given a chance as the starter.  

A “platoon” connotes that a player is routinely sitting against pitchers of a certain handed-ness - that just hasn’t been the case thus far, nor do I expect it to happen.

My opinion Clint is the starter but damnit he needs to start getting on base (.270 OBP) it really is simple Brett has been the better player. The whole team is pitiful one measly hit off of Michael Wacha through six innings. lol. 

@BMcPdid you happen to see the vid of fans getting fed up last night? throwing baseballs on the field 

10 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Yankees ruined this kid.

Explain how? Maybe he ain’t that good 

Edited by shakestreet
21 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

My opinion Clint is the starter but damnit he needs to start getting on base (.270 OBP) it really is simple Brett has been the better player. The whole team is pitiful one measly hit off of Michael Wacha through six innings. lol. 

@BMcPdid you happen to see the vid of fans getting fed up last night? throwing baseballs on the field 

Constantly jerking him around. Sending him down. Benching him. Crushing his confidence. He probably feels he's under a microscope. Pressing, worrying he can't make a single mistake. For some people that type of pressure works. Some it doesn't. Recognizing who motivates how is a skill I wonder if the Yankees development team has.

Maybe he isn't good....but hitting the ball isn't easy when your getting regular reps...which he isn't. (This is a problem I feel all baseball has with the obsession with rest) 

AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  SB  CS  AVG  OBP SLG

557 83 141 34 5 24 82 57 183 5 2 .253 .327 .461

Not bad for a young player with irregular ABs. 

Deserves full time shot IMO.

Edited by this guy right here

Even at age 37, Brett Gardner is still a better player than Frazier. Frazier is the most overrated player in the history of the Yankees, a franchise with a storied history of overrated players. Dude’s just a notch above a replacement player.

I’ll see myself out now.

6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Even at age 37, Brett Gardner is still a better player than Frazier. Frazier is the most overrated player in the history of the Yankees, a franchise with a storied history of overrated players. Dude’s just a notch above a replacement player.

I’ll see myself out now.

8 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB  SB  CS  AVG  OBP SLG

557 83 141 34 5 24 82 57 183 5 2 .253 .327 .461

Not bad for a young player with irregular ABs. 

Deserves full time shot IMO.

7 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Over his first 172 games he’s been worth 0.8 fWAR. Yes, his playing time has been sporadic but it’s been sporadic because he hasn’t been very good when he plays.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shakestreet said:

I did.  Disgusting.  Only thing I can think of is the enforcement crew in the stands had a year off and newbies came in and didn’t know how to properly comport themselves.

Gardner starting again today. How is this not a platoon. Come on man...

Yeah, I'm still hanging on. But it's a 16 teamer. We need to see some signs of life soon. 

Edited by k.k.
  • Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 2:31 AM, secretagentman said:

Not much chance of that when the clown Boone can't wait to put Gardner in the lineup.  Frazier looks like he is on the short end of a platoon at this point.  All that talk that Frazier was the starting LF'er lasted about a week if that into the season.  Frazier goes 0 for 8 2 days and he is bench for Gardner.  We saw it last season and we are seeing it again unfortunately.  The Yanks brain trust has had a man crush on Gardner since he came up...no one has ever been able to figure it out.

12 hours ago, this guy right here said:

Yankees ruined this kid.

8 hours ago, Picard56 said:

I wonder if Aaron Boone has lost his marbles this year. Preseason he says that Frazier earned a full time role and now is stuck in a platoon with Gardner.

Well, Frazier did start off playing every day.  He started the first 7 games of the year and he did absolutely nothing (batting under .200 with zero RBI).  When you play for an organization like the Yankees where the priority is to win the World Series this year, not develop young players for the future, you have to produce if you're a young player and want to stay in the lineup.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, meh2 said:

Over his first 172 games he’s been worth 0.8 fWAR. Yes, his playing time has been sporadic but it’s been sporadic because he hasn’t been very good when he plays.

Frazier's obviously never been anything great, but he didn't totally suck like this last year or in 2019.  Even playing only 39 games last year, Frazier still put up top 200 fantasy value.  Considering his Yahoo ADP was 222, I thought he was a decent late round flier, but obviously I was totally wrong and Frazier has taken a huge step backwards this year

Maybe I should’ve understood this thread would involve a lot of frustration with Frazier - totally get that.  But it’s a long season - and giving up on him just now simply because Gardner is around doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

• Like 1
Just now, BMcP said:

Maybe I should’ve understood this thread would involve a lot of frustration with Frazier - totally get that.  But it’s a long season - and giving up on him just now simply because Gardner is around doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

I think the real problem has been Frazier totally sucking and taking a huge step back from 2019 and 2020, not the presence of a mediocre aging player like Gardner.  Frazier did start out playing every day (he started all 7 of the Yankees first 7 games) and with that opportunity, if Frazier had produced like he did in 2019 or 2020, he'd still be playing almost every day.

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Agreed..

I think everyone just assumed that Judge and Stanton would get hurt quickly.  Frazier would replace and bat in the middle of the lineup.  Even if Judge and/or Stanton go down,   I'm not convinced Frazier will be hitting in the middle of the order. It's a long season but there is also a lot of good young talent out there to gamble on.  

3 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

I think everyone just assumed that Judge and Stanton would get hurt quickly.  Frazier would replace and bat in the middle of the lineup.  Even if Judge and/or Stanton go down,   I'm not convinced Frazier will be hitting in the middle of the order. It's a long season but there is also a lot of good young talent out there to gamble on.  

He didn't need Judge or Stanton to get hurt to play every day.  Frazier started off the year as a clear everyday player, starting the first 7 games of the season for the Yankees.  If he hadn't totally sucked with the opportunity and had just produced like he did in 2019 or 2020 (those numbers certainly weren't great by any means, but you don't need to be great to play over an aging mediocre player like Gardner), he would still be a regular.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

He didn't need Judge or Stanton to get hurt to play every day.  Frazier started off the year as a clear everyday player, starting the first 7 games of the season for the Yankees.  If he hadn't totally sucked with the opportunity and had just produced like he did in 2019 or 2020 (those numbers certainly weren't great by any means, but you don't need to be great to play over an aging mediocre player like Gardner), he would still be a regular.  

I find it weird that major league teams make such sweeping changes after 7 games. Freddie Freeman also sucked during that week. It's baseball. It happens. You need more at bats to properly evaluate anyone. It's not like Frazier is just some bum. He's got good minor league numbers, is a former top prospect, played well in 2020, and is still only 26. By all accounts he's a pretty good fielder too. Oddly, after 5 games, his triple slash was .313/.421/.438. Which is a perfectly fine OPS of .859. But he had a couple of 0-fers his next two games and all of a sudden he's being bench half the time. The line seems so thin between success and bench. If Frazier had gotten a single hit, even an infield single, in those two games, you almost feel like the whole second week might have gone a completely different way.

• Like 1