NBC Sports Edge Forums

Clint Frazier 2021 Outlook

On 4/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, FootballFan101 said:

Well, Frazier did start off playing every day.  He started the first 7 games of the year and he did absolutely nothing (batting under .200 with zero RBI).  When you play for an organization like the Yankees where the priority is to win the World Series this year, not develop young players for the future, you have to produce if you're a young player and want to stay in the lineup.

7 games isn't long enough to for baseball.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Post mortems being written in mid April. Fantasy baseball is back baby!

Gardner has been a better player, simply put.  And Frazier was due to start today until the last-minute Zeuch substitution.  He hasn’t been used in a platoon, short-side or no.

65 plate appearances with runners in scoring position and hasn't gotten 1 RBI

1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

65 plate appearances with runners in scoring position and hasn't gotten 1 RBI

wow, that is one ugly stat for Clint.  Soon to world renowned as the Rally Killer

Edited by jb_power
39 minutes ago, jb_power said:

wow, that is one ugly stat for Clint.  Soon to world renowned as the Rally Killer

The entire Yankee lineup save for DJ and maybe Urshella are not hitting a lick.  Frazier has been brutally bad, but so has Hicks, Judge, Stanton, Torres, and the combo of Odor\Bruce.  They can't bench the other clowns, but go and run to replace Frazier with Gardner (who is not hitting much either) after a few games.  It makes little sense and all they are doing is hurting themselves long term imo.  Right now, the Yanks are brutally bad across the board with horrible offense combining with horrible pitching (outside of Cole) and shoddy defense.  Eventually this will pass and turn around (you would think), but they may damage Frazier mentally in the process.  The man crush they have with Gardner has never made any sense over the years and it continues to just hurt them long term imo.  What the team needs is a good kick in the bask side and someone to force them to stop trying to hit 500 ft HRs every pitch of every AB.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 2

NYY Lineup has been straight up atrocious with the exception of DJ.

Here's a fun little stat as well for Frazier.

Clint is 6-of-36 this year from the dish...5 of his 6 hits have been fluke hits. We're talking fielders choices, a couple of fly balls that happened to land in no man's land, a comebacker off a pitcher, a fluky infield single that he narrowly beat out because Vlad took his foot off the base.

I would argue that Clint is 1-for-36 this year.

And for some reason, Clint is taking on every single pitch imaginable. I believe he leads the league right now for taking pitches in the zone. He's literally just guessing what pitches are coming, and he's guessing 100% wrong. Fastballs straight down the middle of the plate, he's just watching go by. And he looks befuddled whenever a new one goes by...He's almost refusing to swing the bat. He's guessing badly, and if the pitch he's guessing on doesn't show up (regardless of location), he's just not swinging.

Yankees desperately need to fix what he's doing, and most of the rest of the team for that matter.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Clint is 6-of-36 this year from the dish...5 of his 6 hits have been fluke hits. We're talking fielders choices, a couple of fly balls that happened to land in no man's land, a comebacker off a pitcher, a fluky infield single that he narrowly beat out because Vlad took his foot off the base.

And for some reason, Clint is taking on every single pitch imaginable. I believe he leads the league right now for taking pitches in the zone. He's literally just guessing what pitches are coming, and he's guessing 100% wrong. Fastballs straight down the middle of the plate, he's just watching go by. And he looks befuddled whenever a new one goes by...He's almost refusing to swing the bat. He's guessing badly, and if the pitch he's guessing on doesn't show up (regardless of location), he's just not swinging.

Yankees desperately need to fix what he's doing, and most of the rest of the team for that matter.

Fielder’s choices count as outs, not hits. But otherwise, I agree with you. 

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, secretagentman said:

The entire Yankee lineup save for DJ and maybe Urshella are not hitting a lick.  Frazier has been brutally bad, but so has Hicks, Judge, Stanton, Torres, and the combo of Odor\Bruce.  They can't bench the other clowns, but go and run to replace Frazier with Gardner (who is not hitting much either) after a few games.  It makes little sense and all they are doing is hurting themselves long term imo.  Right now, the Yanks are brutally bad across the board with horrible offense combining with horrible pitching (outside of Cole) and shoddy defense.  Eventually this will pass and turn around (you would think), but they may damage Frazier mentally in the process.  The man crush they have with Gardner has never made any sense over the years and it continues to just hurt them long term imo.  What the team needs is a good kick in the bask side and someone to force them to stop trying to hit 500 ft HRs every pitch of every AB.

7 hours ago, CORTEz said:

These two posts contradict which one is right. Yankees are screwing up the player he can’t hit a lick. 

* I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ 

1 hour ago, Mikewastaken said:

We know he is capable of hitting. What the Yankees don't seem to care about finding out is whether he is capable of getting himself out of a slump. Malpractice imo. 

He’s been starting virtually every day - what more do you want them to do?  He needs to do something to deserve playing time - and he’s done...nothing.  At all.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mikewastaken said:

We know he is capable of hitting. What the Yankees don't seem to care about finding out is whether he is capable of getting himself out of a slump. Malpractice imo. 

Bingo.  They were playing Gardner over Frazier last year when Frazier was hitting.  The Yankee brass has a man crush on Gardner...always have.  No one in NY who can judge talent reasonably has ever been able to figure out why.  Right now, it is like we can't punish the likes of Hicks and Torres, who have been absolutely dreadful both at the plate and in the field for the most part, but we can punish the kid.   That said, Frazier has an attitude and is not well liked in the clubhouse from all accounts.  Gardner is.  But the Yanks really have to get away from that and play the player who is going to be around for awhile consistently and not the guy who is at the end of his career and offers little beyond his defense these days imo.

4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

These two posts contradict which one is right. Yankees are screwing up the player he can’t hit a lick. 

* I have no idea 🤷‍♂️ 

I know for a fact what I posted is 100% accurate. haha

The only thing I don't know is the reason WHY Frazier is taking so many pitches. Whether it's the Yankees "attempting" to use analytics and telling him to sit on pitches, or his hitting coach telling him something, or Clint himself deciding on his own what he wants to look for....The simple point is that he's taking pitches at an extremely high rate. But it's not making him a better batter. He's guessing badly, and appears that he's going up to each AB saying to himself:

- I'm waiting for an off-speed down the middle
- If I don't see an off-speed pitch, I am not swinging, even if the pitch is right down the middle.

This has resulted in him looking outright confused when in the batter's box.

Even funnier, in his press-conferences, he's blatantly telling reporters "I'm having trouble with fastballs right now"...Which in turn, the very next day Boone sat him against Glasnow who.....you guessed it, primarily throws fastballs.

Whatever they're telling Frazier, and these other Yankee hitters, simply isn't working. There's been speculation across the league from beat writers and other analysts that the league as a whole have figured out how to attack Yankee's hitters (i know JomBoy touched upon this in one of his recent podcasts). And quite honestly, I feel that is true. Yankees are averaging like......almost a league worst 3.5 runs per game (ranked 26th i think?)....They look horrible up there and I think JomBoy even read a stat the other day that over the past 10 games, not 1 yankees hitter is hitting over like .260 BA or something crazy....

On the flip side though, if there was ever a time to "buy extremely low", now would be that time.

10 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I know for a fact what I posted is 100% accurate. haha

The only thing I don't know is the reason WHY Frazier is taking so many pitches. Whether it's the Yankees "attempting" to use analytics and telling him to sit on pitches, or his hitting coach telling him something, or Clint himself deciding on his own what he wants to look for....The simple point is that he's taking pitches at an extremely high rate. But it's not making him a better batter. He's guessing badly, and appears that he's going up to each AB saying to himself:

- I'm waiting for an off-speed down the middle
- If I don't see an off-speed pitch, I am not swinging, even if the pitch is right down the middle.

This has resulted in him looking outright confused when in the batter's box.

Even funnier, in his press-conferences, he's blatantly telling reporters "I'm having trouble with fastballs right now"...Which in turn, the very next day Boone sat him against Glasnow who.....you guessed it, primarily throws fastballs.

Whatever they're telling Frazier, and these other Yankee hitters, simply isn't working. There's been speculation across the league from beat writers and other analysts that the league as a whole have figured out how to attack Yankee's hitters (i know JomBoy touched upon this in one of his recent podcasts). And quite honestly, I feel that is true. Yankees are averaging like......almost a league worst 3.5 runs per game (ranked 26th i think?)....They look horrible up there and I think JomBoy even read a stat the other day that over the past 10 games, not 1 yankees hitter is hitting over like .260 BA or something crazy....

On the flip side though, if there was ever a time to "buy extremely low", now would be that time.

It is no secret al all.  Keep the ball in the park and the Yanks have difficulty scoring.  Been the case for awhile, except now other teams are exploiting this by pitching outside and making them go out of the zone more imo.  TB has the book on it.  The Yanks refuse to adapt as most of them sit around trying to hit a 500 ft Hr each and every plate appearance.  They are basically incapable of stringing 3 or 4 hits together as a consequence and it is not like they have any real team speed to manufacture runs even if they wanted to (which they don't).  As to Frazier, yes a guess hitter guessing wrong,.  But you can say the same about Stanton and Judge who often take pitches belt high right down the middle for the same reason.  Frazier's is just messed up in the head right now.  He needs to just see the ball, hit the ball and stop trying to be a poor man's version of Aaron Hicks imo.

Edited by secretagentman
On 4/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, this guy right here said:

7 games isn't long enough to for baseball.

At some point, if you want to stay in the lineup especially for a team with championship aspirations, you actually have to get a hit once in a while.  

If anything, the Yankees have been too patient with Frazier, still playing him every other day despite him hitting .150 on the year with 0 RBI.  Based on his performance, I would expect that he's going to lose even more playing time and possibly even get sent to the minors.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

At some point, if you want to stay in the lineup especially for a team with championship aspirations, you actually have to get a hit once in a while.  

If anything, the Yankees have been too patient with Frazier, still playing him every other day despite him hitting .150 on the year with 0 RBI.  Based on his performance, I would expect that he's going to lose even more playing time and possibly even get sent to the minors.

Aaron Boone cares not a whit about anyone’s fantasy team.  Clint has been one of the worst players on the Yankees in every facet of the game - and doesn’t seem even like a positive clubhouse presence.  Cashman decided to re-sign Gardner and he is one of the very few contributing positively to the game.  Let Clint mentally re-set and move on.

20 hours ago, secretagentman said:

That said, Frazier has an attitude and is not well liked in the clubhouse from all accounts.  Gardner is. 

There is something to be said for that. Baseball is a long season, the Yanks are a veteran team in a win now mode, and team chemistry might be their priority over player developmen? Maybe they are hoping playing the players that work best with each other will be best for the team, can help them get out of their current funk more quickly, even if it comes at the cost of Frazier's development?

I don't know, just playing around and guessing. As someone who has invested in Frazier in my league, I'd much prefer them play his way out of his current slump. Right now, he is just hogging roster spot as he rides the pine.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:34 AM, BMcP said:

He’s been starting virtually every day - what more do you want them to do?  He needs to do something to deserve playing time - and he’s done...nothing.  At all.

Chicken or the egg, isn't it. Knowing this team his most likely path back to regular time is through injury.

The team as a whole has been brutal at the plate.  We've seen that with a number of teams in the league.  It's very early in the season and things will eventually even out at the plate for a lot of these players.  I dropped Frazier a while back but I'm still a believer in the bat.  Once this team starts hitting I'll hop back on the train.  

To a certain extent I am not worried about the Stantons/Judges/LeMahieus, they know what they are doing and will probably get back on track. It's Torres and Frazier who are young enough where it might get in their heads for an extended period, and/or they change something extreme in their approach that really backfires.

I can't think of a player this screwed around by the Yankees since Joba Chamberlain.

Chicken or the egg, isn't it. Knowing this team his most likely path back to regular time is through injury.

At a certain point, you can’t blame Boone for choosing to play the players who actually contribute positively to winning games.  Frazier isn’t some rook who might need coddling - and the support shown him by his GM to this point is beginning to border on nonsensical.  I think he’ll come out of this in the end, but an extended period to mentally re-set is probably the best move for him.

9 minutes ago, BMcP said:

At a certain point, you can’t blame Boone for choosing to play the players who actually contribute positively to winning games.  Frazier isn’t some rook who might need coddling - and the support shown him by his GM to this point is beginning to border on nonsensical.  I think he’ll come out of this in the end, but an extended period to mentally re-set is probably the best move for him.

He's the second youngest position player on the team with barely a full season's worth of major league games total under his belt coming into this season. The organization gave every indication he was the clear starter and three weeks in he has precisely 7 more plate appearances than Brett Gardner. Gleyber, who I would argue has been more of a liability so far, is at 64 PA to Frazier's 41. 

I guess I just don't trust the Yankees to develop talent right now. Look at Sanchez, Judge, Torres, Frazier. None of them have taken the step forward you would want and you could argue all of them have in fact seen varying levels of regression.

• Like 1

He's the second youngest position player on the team with barely a full season's worth of major league games total under his belt coming into this season. The organization gave every indication he was the clear starter and three weeks in he has precisely 7 more plate appearances than Brett Gardner. Gleyber, who I would argue has been more of a liability so far, is at 64 PA to Frazier's 41. 

I guess I just don't trust the Yankees to develop talent right now. Look at Sanchez, Judge, Torres, Frazier. None of them have taken the step forward you would want and you could argue all of them have in fact seen varying levels of regression.

And thus far, Clint has amassed a grand total of -0.3 WAR - which would have been tied for dead last on the team but for the retirement of Jay Bruce.

While I’m inclined to agree with you on the failure to develop young talent, the Yankees are primarily interested in winning games now.  I’m sure if they had a halfway decent replacement for Torres, he’d be sitting more often as well.  They happen to have a very good LF replacement that they just decided to re-sign, who is currently outplaying just about everyone on the active roster.  It shouldn’t come as a surprise that they would utilize him in the event that any of their OFs floundered.  They explicitly told us they would do that.  And as you alluded to, Frazier had done nothing entering this season to cement himself as a regular - he remains in “prove-it” mode.

• Like 2