NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cavan Biggio 2021 Outlook

6 minutes ago, Daytraders2019 said:

That must have been in rehab assignment. Any word on when he is being activated? 

I read in the Buffalo News he was going to get an "extended rehab" assignment meaning he's been demoted until further notice. Perhaps they want to work on his swing. As I said back in May, he was trending towards become a bench player then, and the Jays are actually quite thin at the moment in their depth. The fact that he's not getting brought back to the big club is very bad for his outlook in redrafts and dynasty alike.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I read in the Buffalo News he was going to get an "extended rehab" assignment meaning he's been demoted until further notice. Perhaps they want to work on his swing. As I said back in May, he was trending towards become a bench player then, and the Jays are actually quite thin at the moment in their depth. The fact that he's not getting brought back to the big club is very bad for his outlook in redrafts and dynasty alike.

Thanks for posting this - I didn't hear this and that's super interesting.  

Edit:  So I read the article and found this video w/n that article - which was incredibly good analysis of his swing & why fastballs are destroying him.  GREAT find!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/blue-jays-address-cavan-biggios-batting-funk/

Edited by IlliniGuy76
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Edit:  So I read the article and found this video w/n that article - which was incredibly good analysis of his swing & why fastballs are destroying him.  GREAT find!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/video/blue-jays-address-cavan-biggios-batting-funk/

No problem I meant to add it here a day or two ago just plum forgot. He was way over-drafted this year, though I still like him in OBP leagues. 

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

No problem I meant to add it here a day or two ago just plum forgot. He was way over-drafted this year, though I still like him in OBP leagues. 

I was one of those that drafted him believing that he'll support OBP, HR & steals in the middle infield.  We shall see what happens down in the minors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

either of you care to link to the actual article that states "extended rehab" and/or provide the full quote and who it's from? when you go to the buffalo news and search for cavan biggio, it lists almost every article they've written about the blue jays this season, and after 2-3 views it requires a subscription to keep reading.

5 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

either of you care to link to the actual article that states "extended rehab" and/or provide the full quote and who it's from? when you go to the buffalo news and search for cavan biggio, it lists almost every article they've written about the blue jays this season, and after 2-3 views it requires a subscription to keep reading.

Unfortunately, I didn't see that - just relying on our friend Mr. Kimble for the news!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

so.. just to follow-up.

i did some digging and found two quotes from biggio himself following sunday's first rehab game.

in the first one, from the buffalo news, he states that he expects to be with the bisons for another game or two. 

in the second article, from the trentonian, he states that he expects to meet up with blue jays in either chicago (current series) or boston (series which starts friday).

long story short, if he's on an extended rehab assignment (i.e., demoted until further notice), nobody has apparently shared this information with him. i'm not claiming the information is incorrect; without seeing the actual quote i don't want to pass judgement, but biggio's recent interviews seem to state the opposite.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/baseball/blue-jays-notebook-decisions-coming-on-future-games-in-sahlen-field/

https://www.trentonian.com/sports/blue-jays-infielder-cavan-biggio-homers-in-triple-a-rehab-appearance-in-trenton/

@Daytraders2019FYI

Edited by osb_tensor
cleaned up links.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone buying low here? seems like that window is closing fast. 

I think I would be trying, but I have him everywhere. I thought he was a good value where he was being taken, and I hope he's finally going to deliver on that this season.

Springer has started a rehab assignment, so he will be back in the lineup soon-ish. Cavan has already been mostly in the bottom half of the lineup, so that won't really change either.

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone buying low here? seems like that window is closing fast. 

I have him and that window closed after his first few games back from the DL. But I'm more of a go down with the ship type of guy, than a sell low kind of fella. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, itaos said:

Batting 7th with Springer back to no one's surprise. 

Anyone still a believer? 

Caveat:  I drafted Biggio this year

I think any sense of being a believer is LONG gone.  There's literally nothing that points to him turning it around:  Eye test, advanced/Statcast metrics; until he gets the flaws in his swing fixed, he's going to continue with this very tepid production.

• Like 1

1.066 OPS with 8K/8BB since returning from the DL. The spot in the lineup isn't great but he's producing lately. 

22nd in the league in OPS and fourth among 2B during that time. 

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

1.066 OPS with 8K/8BB since returning from the DL. The spot in the lineup isn't great but he's producing lately. 

22nd in the league in OPS and fourth among 2B during that time. 

Since his 6/12 & 6/13 outstanding games - he's got a .230 BA/1 Homer/2 RBI;  those stats are padded by two fantastic games early back from his IL stint.

16 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

Since his 6/12 & 6/13 outstanding games - he's got a .230 BA/1 Homer/2 RBI;  those stats are padded by two fantastic games early back from his IL stint.

As you noted... us Biggio owners are looking for small wins at this point, so please stop ruining it haha. I'd imagine if you take anyone's best two games out of a 12 game span it wouldn't look great. At least he's back to being around a 1 BB/K ratio, before the DL stint the plate discipline was bad with 47K/20BB. Super small sample but I'm hopeful the neck was something he was trying to play through and needed to get right. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

As you noted... us Biggio owners are looking for small wins at this point, so please stop ruining it haha. I'd imagine if you take anyone's best two games out of a 12 game span it wouldn't look great. At least he's back to being around a 1 BB/K ratio, before the DL stint the plate discipline was bad with 47K/20BB. Super small sample but I'm hopeful the neck was something he was trying to play through and needed to get right. 

I know, I know - I'm sorry!  I'm just looking at the entirety of his season - it's been abysmal additionally the eye test & just the review of the holes in his swing that were discussed in previous pages.

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

I know, I know - I'm sorry!  I'm just looking at the entirety of his season - it's been abysmal additionally the eye test & just the review of the holes in his swing that were discussed in previous pages.

Also you can factor in the robbed homer from Judge if we're gonna be manipulating stats! 🤣

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Guy was such a disaster that they aren't sure if they even want to carry him as a bench bat, yikes.

Klaw was dead-on right, dude can't hit enough to be a regular.

Yeah, when they called up Otto Lopez and Kevin Smith, I was going to sound the death knell, but honestly just figured who cares, there are very few teams even stashing him at this point, mostly deep leagues.

I saw him play in Buffalo on Saturday, didn't look good at all in taking an Ofer with a couple Ks. Also, not good to see him used as a DH on a minor league rehab, when his only real path to ABs is at 3B. If he can't play the field, he's not an option for the Jays. Pretty interesting to see Montoyo just come right out and say as much. I doubt Biggio responds to the challenge.