NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jalen Hurts 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

NO franchise takes a QB with a top 6 pick with expectations that they're unsure if they'll be their franchise/starting QB - zero. ziltch.  You draft players in the top 10 with the belief they'll be an every game starter/All Pro caliber player.

If they take a QB with a top 6 pick - which they're not doing - there may be an opportunity for Hurts to start but that top 6 pick will 100% be expected to be their long-term QB.

Ha, you should check out the Tua thread

• Like 1
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're thinking of complement. Gohawks was saying the backup needs to applaud and cheer on the starter.

This is why I’m a believer in Hurts. His work ethic is one of the qualities that always gets brought up.

Ive done a few mocks which are meaningless atm but hes going as the 10-12th  qb anywhere from round 8-10 with 8-9QBs being taken by rnd 6..  The noteable thing to me was how high all the other QB

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Ha, you should check out the Tua thread

The Dolphins very well MAY take a QB with a high pick this year after seeing Tua throughout practice/camp/in games;  they have a full season on Tua to make an evaluation. My point, more so, is the Eagles - if they take a QB at 6 - are saying... Hurts isn't our starting QB and there really won't be a "competition"  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 6:12 PM, Joe Mama said:

We won't know what Eagles really think of him until the draft. I think it's 50/50 they take a QB at 6.

As an Eagles fan, I hope they don't go QB. I feel if they do, they create the next Sam Darnold. Gets some weapons and oline help and allow Hurts the chance to become the QB of the future. If he falls on his face, then move on (and I do think this is a likely outcome). But the next QB comes into a situation where they too have a chance. 

While it is probably foolish to actually be thinking Roseman will be doing what I hope he does, I do think he grabs the best available WR, or Pitts, at 6. Part of me does fear he decides to go with a CB instead, though.  I could accept Roseman going O-Line.

As for Hurts, I got him in my keeper league and as long as they don't draft a QB, he will be kept. 

Edited by colorado2013
  • Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I hear ya and most of what you say makes sense but I think Newman would just be a less talented Jalen Hurts.

I try and figure out what Howie Roseman is thinking. He did draft Jalen Hurts in the 2nd round last year but that doesn’t necessarily mean he views him as a franchise QB. The eagles didn’t go into last season thinking Carson Wentz would be one of the worst QBs in the NFL. They thought Wentz had MVP level talent but had been injured in multiple seasons and one time during a critical playoff game and the Eagles won a Super Bowl with Wentz’s backup when Nick Foles did it. So how does that affect Howie Roseman’s thinking? He knows he has built a super bowl caliber roster but he needed a capable backup in case Wentz got hurt. I think he drafted Jalen Hurts with that in mind, an athletic QB who can use his legs, and hopefully develop his passing, use him in special packages. I think they wanted a better than average QB and that is what Hurts is for right now but then Carson Wentz fell apart and Hurts looked dynamic running with his legs just as Roseman thought when drafting him but he thought Hurts might be doing it for an injured Wentz not because Wentz had to be benched and eventually traded. 

My thoughts too.

And the idea of drafting a young, quality, affordable QB to be a backup for a QB with a history of getting injured made a lot of sense. If only, the starting QB could have handled it better.

• Like 1

🙂

Jalen Hurts displaying improved release while working with QB coach Quincy Avery

The Eagles added a backup quarterback to the roster on Tuesday when they inked former Super Bowl MVP, Joe Flacco, to a one-year deal.

As the Eagles now look towards the NFL draft, their presumed starter for 2021 has been putting in the work.

Hurts has been working with his personal quarterback coach Quincy Avery this offseason and the improvement to details and footwork are visible.

During recent workouts with Avery where footage has been released, Hurts has displayed an improved release and throwing motion that should have Eagles supporters excited for the upcoming season.

The Eagles hold the No. 6 overall pick in the draft and could be in the market for a receiver or tight end, Kyle Pitts.

Two of the top wideouts in the draft class, Jaylen Waddle and DeVonta Smith, were teammates of Hurts at Alabama.

https://sports.yahoo.com/jalen-hurts-displaying-improved-release-153538582.html

Edited by EaglesRocker97
16 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

Gets some weapons and oline help and allow Hurts the chance to become the QB of the future. If he falls on his face, then move on (and I do think this is a likely outcome). But the next QB comes into a situation where they too have a chance. 

This. 100 times this.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, devaster said:

LOL typical off-season fluff pieces 

Agree.  Shouldn't a kid who has played major college ball and now in the pros already know how to throw a football?   I guess every professional athlete still needs training and practice, and the more you progress, the better access you get.  I hope it is really true that his accuracy will be better and he won't just be a quick look then tuck and run QB.

But the Iggles moving out of #6 cements the fact that Hurts will get a chance.  He's looking like an amazing keeper option.

3 hours ago, CooL said:

Agree.  Shouldn't a kid who has played major college ball and now in the pros already know how to throw a football?   I guess every professional athlete still needs training and practice, and the more you progress, the better access you get.  I hope it is really true that his accuracy will be better and he won't just be a quick look then tuck and run QB.

But the Iggles moving out of #6 cements the fact that Hurts will get a chance.  He's looking like an amazing keeper option.

Brady has worked on his throwing mechanics and fundamentals his entire pro career. I think the more important take away is he's working to get better as a player. Constantly. Not going to strip clubs or getting into bar fights or getting rub and tugs. 

Edited by pikerbkb
  • Like 1

Ive done a few mocks which are meaningless atm but hes going as the 10-12th  qb anywhere from round 8-10 with 8-9QBs being taken by rnd 6.. 

The noteable thing to me was how high all the other QBs are going compared to previous yrs possibly making "sleepers" go a few rnds early too. 

Hurts is currently my top "late rnd QB" reminds me of LJax in the sense where they both got their feet wet at the end of the season and took off yr 2. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

Brady has worked on his throwing mechanics and fundamentals his entire pro career. I think the more important take away is he's working to get better as a player. Constantly. Not going to strip clubs or getting into bar fights or getting rub and tugs. 

This is why I’m a believer in Hurts. His work ethic is one of the qualities that always gets brought up.

• Like 3

It's tough for me to find a good reason why Hurts won't be a great fantasy QB for 2021.

PHI traded away Wentz

Signed Flacco as the back-up QB/competition

Just traded down from draft pick #6 to #12 (making it less likely one of the top 5 QB is around for PHI to select).

I'm not arguing that Hurts is or will be a great real-life NFL QB but, for fantasy, it's really looking like he's going to be the guy for PHI for 2021.  His rushing stats all but guarantee he will be a top 10 fantasy QB, with the upside for much more.  Its really overthinking things to argue it any other way IMO.

2 hours ago, J.T. Marlin said:

It's tough for me to find a good reason why Hurts won't be a great fantasy QB for 2021.

PHI traded away Wentz

Signed Flacco as the back-up QB/competition

Just traded down from draft pick #6 to #12 (making it less likely one of the top 5 QB is around for PHI to select).

I'm not arguing that Hurts is or will be a great real-life NFL QB but, for fantasy, it's really looking like he's going to be the guy for PHI for 2021.  His rushing stats all but guarantee he will be a top 10 fantasy QB, with the upside for much more.  Its really overthinking things to argue it any other way IMO.

The only caution would be the lacking options around him. His receiving corps is a sad bunch and the OLine isn't in great shape unless some of those guys can come back fully healthy. The draft could change that, but currently it isn't looking great for 2021. But Hurts should at least be serviceable with his rushing. I think he will taper off around the mid-point of the season though.

On 3/30/2021 at 11:16 PM, J.T. Marlin said:

The eagles just started a rebuild, their roster is in a pretty dire spot, same as their cap space and they have a new coach. Expectations will and should be pretty low for this eagles team in 2021. Not saying he will be bad fantasy wise but there are reasons to doubt

• Like 1
4 hours ago, egolam said:

The eagles just started a rebuild, their roster is in a pretty dire spot, same as their cap space and they have a new coach. Expectations will and should be pretty low for this eagles team in 2021. Not saying he will be bad fantasy wise but there are reasons to doubt

I get this argument but my counter is who did or will PHI lose from last year that will negatively impact Hurts production?  Alshon, DJax, Ertz?  Those guys seem to be old/injured/washed.  Hurts was the #3 fantasy QB for the full 3 games in a row that he started (weeks 14-16).  He did that with basically the same dire roster that you're worried about.

It's likely PHI is going to add a WR with either pick #12 overall or with their 2nd rd pick (#37 overall).  Godert, Reagor, MSanders + JWaddle or DSmith in rd 1 or a guy like TMetcalf JR, RBateman, RMoore, or KToney in rd 2.  TFulgham showed major flashes and GWard is a very solid #3/4 WR.  I think this potential 2021 receiving group will shape up to be better than what Hurts had to work with late in the 2020 season.  

Edited by J.T. Marlin
50 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

I get this argument but my counter is who did or will PHI lose from last year that will negatively impact Hurts production?  Alshon, DJax, Ertz?  Those guys seem to be old/injured/washed.  Hurts was the #3 fantasy QB for the full 3 games in a row that he started (weeks 14-16).  He did that with basically the same dire roster that you're worried about.

It's likely PHI is going to add a WR with either pick #12 overall or with their 2nd rd pick (#37 overall).  Godert, Reagor, MSanders + JWaddle or DSmith in rd 1 or a guy like TMetcalf JR, RBateman, RMoore, or KToney in rd 2.  TFulgham showed major flashes and GWard is a very solid #3/4 WR.  I think this potential 2021 receiving group will shape up to be better than what Hurts had to work with late in the 2020 season.  

QB's who can run seem to have the advantage at the onset of their career, before teams have a chance to watch and study the game film. I mean, maybe I am wrong as I haven't studied that or looked too deeply into it, but that seems to be what I feel like I have observed. 

On 3/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, CooL said:

A lot of QBs have to improve their mechanics once they get into the league. Even first rounders. 

On 4/1/2021 at 4:57 PM, colorado2013 said:

QB's who can run seem to have the advantage at the onset of their career, before teams have a chance to watch and study the game film. I mean, maybe I am wrong as I haven't studied that or looked too deeply into it, but that seems to be what I feel like I have observed. 

I don't know of any "running QB" who got drastically less productive running the football because of teams having more film on them. They typically do due to age since most running QBs don't suffer debilitating injuries either outside of RGIII recently (Cam never got hurt running the ball, and was still decently effective in short yardage even last season). 

On 4/2/2021 at 11:11 PM, Deuce1042 said:

I don't know of any "running QB" who got drastically less productive running the football because of teams having more film on them. They typically do due to age since most running QBs don't suffer debilitating injuries either outside of RGIII recently (Cam never got hurt running the ball, and was still decently effective in short yardage even last season). 

The issue isn't less effective running the ball. Less effective when they try to adjust their game so it isn't so run dominant.

On 4/3/2021 at 1:11 AM, Deuce1042 said:

Lamar Jackson last year.  Colin Kaepernick after the Super Bowl year.  It always get harder for any QB after teams identify your weaknesses on tape. 

That being said, has many parallels to Lamar Jackson going into his second year.  And I will be targeting Hurts in the later rounds in every draft.  Not as fast as Lamar, but if Hurts improves his accuracy, can similarly take it to another level.  Has a talented tight end but supporting cast has otherwise been mediocre.  Offensive line should be better this year just by being healthier.  They need to draft a great receiver or for Reagor/Fulgham to really step it up and keep defenses honest.