Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jalen Hurts 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BlueMeanies said:

Lamar Jackson last year.  Colin Kaepernick after the Super Bowl year.  It always get harder for any QB after teams identify your weaknesses on tape. 

Lamar Jackson rushed for 1005 yards on 6.3 YPC and scored 7 TDs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're thinking of complement. Gohawks was saying the backup needs to applaud and cheer on the starter.

This is why I’m a believer in Hurts. His work ethic is one of the qualities that always gets brought up.

Ive done a few mocks which are meaningless atm but hes going as the 10-12th  qb anywhere from round 8-10 with 8-9QBs being taken by rnd 6..  The noteable thing to me was how high all the other QB

Doesn’t apply to Kaepernick either. He lit the Packers up on the ground in the playoffs at Lambeau in 2013. Seattle in the NFC title game too. Kaep was still an effective runner his final season in the league. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

Doesn’t apply to Kaepernick either. He lit the Packers up on the ground in the playoffs at Lambeau in 2013. Seattle in the NFC title game too. Kaep was still an effective runner his final season in the league. 

Although his rushing stats were still good, there is no question Lamar didn’t live up to last year’s second round ADP, coming off one of the greatest Fantasy QB seasons ever.   And I’d argue that Kaepernick’s 2016 resurgence statistically was in large part due to the blowouts and the soft prevent defenses he faced.  If you watched the games, there is no question Kaepernick’s weaknesses were exposed after teams had a chance to fully scout him and Greg Roman’s system.  If they weren't, Kaepernick would still be in the league.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BlueMeanies said:

Although his rushing stats were still good, there is no question Lamar didn’t live up to last year’s second round ADP, coming off one of the greatest Fantasy QB seasons ever.   And I’d argue that Kaepernick’s 2016 resurgence statistically was in large part due to the blowouts and the soft prevent defenses he faced.  If you watched the games, there is no question Kaepernick’s weaknesses were exposed after teams had a chance to fully scout him and Greg Roman’s system.  If they weren't, Kaepernick would still be in the league.

That's not why Kaep isn't in the league...lol

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

Lamar rushed for the 3rd most yards in NFL history by a QB and missed a game and we're talking about he was way less productive rushing the ball lol.

Dude, Lamar Jackson literally went from the greatest season in the history of fantasy football, to QB 10.  By the end of the season, he wasn't even starting for many fantasy teams.  But it’s not just running QBs.  Almost every QB after their breakout season (Deshaun Watson 2018, Mahomes 2019, Lamar Jackson 2020, and the list goes on and on and on and on), didn’t come close to living up to expectations the next year.  Every QB has to adjust (a la Mahomes last year) after defenses learn their tendencies and weaknesses.  If you don’t see that, you’re paying too much attention to stats, and not actually watching the games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueMeanies said:

Dude, Lamar Jackson literally went from the greatest season in the history of fantasy football, to QB 10.  By the end of the season, he wasn't even starting for many fantasy teams.  But it’s not just running QBs.  Almost every QB after their breakout season (Deshaun Watson 2018, Mahomes 2019, Lamar Jackson 2020, and the list goes on and on and on and on), didn’t come close to living up to expectations the next year.  Every QB has to adjust (a la Mahomes last year) after defenses learn their tendencies and weaknesses.  If you don’t see that, you’re paying too much attention to stats, and not actually watching the games.

That has a lot more to do with how their passing offense regressed than what he didn't do as a runner. Lamar didn't have multiple games where he threw 4 or 5 TDs this past season. His rushing production didn't change that much, which is the context of this entire discussion. 

 

You're attributing the wrong reasons for why his fantasy value wasn't as high. 

Edited by Deuce1042
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also we're talking about Fantasy right now, so the "you're paying too much attention to stats" thing is a weird comment. But even outside of that you're still not correct. He was still highly productive and efficient running the football. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deuce1042 said:

That has a lot more to do with how their passing offense regressed than what he didn't do as a runner. Lamar didn't have multiple games where he threw 4 or 5 TDs this past season. His rushing production didn't change that much, which is the context of this entire discussion. 

 

You're attributing the wrong reasons for why his fantasy value wasn't as high. 

His rushing production went down by 200 yards, and his overall points production fell off the map, which is what Fantasy Football is all about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BlueMeanies said:

His rushing production went down by 200 yards, and his overall points production fell off the map, which is what Fantasy Football is all about.

Wow 200 yards. Yeah man that’s such a massive drop off...*sarcasm*. He carried the ball roughly 20 fewer times. 

That matters soooo much more than him throwing 10 fewer TDs and their passing offense being less efficient than it was last year I suppose. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We talking about Lamar here, or we talking about Jalen?

I am surprised about the range of opinions of Jalen Hurts.  If the Eagles didn't believe in him, then why draft him?  If they didn't think he was QB1, then why let Wentz go?  Yes, he had a small sample size.  He showed he could be productive.  Yes, he isn't the most accurate, but he was a rookie playing in his first few professional games.  

I'm surprised that the talking heads on tv had kept saying things about how the Eagles could look to move on and draft one of these top 5 QBs.  Would they be willing to do so after seeing Hurts play for just five games?  What makes Trey Lance or Mac Jones any more of a sure thing than what we've seen in Hurts already?  Jalen didn't light it up like Herbert or Burrow, but I'd say he had a better showing than Tua.

I see Hurts being drafted as a top 10 QB in fantasy this coming season.  He might not pan out.  But for his cost, how can you not consider him especially when you look at the rushing numbers?  Pick Hurts as your QB1 and then a safe QB2 like a Stafford several rounds later.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CooL said:

We talking about Lamar here, or we talking about Jalen?

I am surprised about the range of opinions of Jalen Hurts.  If the Eagles didn't believe in him, then why draft him?  If they didn't think he was QB1, then why let Wentz go?  Yes, he had a small sample size.  He showed he could be productive.  Yes, he isn't the most accurate, but he was a rookie playing in his first few professional games.  

I'm surprised that the talking heads on tv had kept saying things about how the Eagles could look to move on and draft one of these top 5 QBs.  Would they be willing to do so after seeing Hurts play for just five games?  What makes Trey Lance or Mac Jones any more of a sure thing than what we've seen in Hurts already?  Jalen didn't light it up like Herbert or Burrow, but I'd say he had a better showing than Tua.

I see Hurts being drafted as a top 10 QB in fantasy this coming season.  He might not pan out.  But for his cost, how can you not consider him especially when you look at the rushing numbers?  Pick Hurts as your QB1 and then a safe QB2 like a Stafford several rounds later.  

Stafford > Hurts on all Fantasy Football Draft Boards. With that said, I'll lay a bet that Hurts could be picked at the end of most drafts and pull a Lamar Jax and surprise many people with his overall production, but no way am I or anyone whose serious about fantasy drafts going to draft him as the QB10. There's at least 15 names being called that are fantasy producers at the QB position and that's not including this year's crop of QBs that will also garner some attention from the draftniks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

Nope! 

Ah ok let me try again...

Out of 35 qualified QBs over his last 2 seasons:  34th win percentage, 32nd completion percentage, and 31st in QBR.

Honestly don’t know what else there is considering there’s players that were just as adamant on those specific political issues and they’re still on rosters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1st-Place-Phinish said:

Stafford > Hurts on all Fantasy Football Draft Boards. With that said, I'll lay a bet that Hurts could be picked at the end of most drafts and pull a Lamar Jax and surprise many people with his overall production, but no way am I or anyone whose serious about fantasy drafts going to draft him as the QB10. There's at least 15 names being called that are fantasy producers at the QB position and that's not including this year's crop of QBs that will also garner some attention from the draftniks.

Are you sure?  The two I've looked at has Hurts at 8 and 11, while Stafford is at 12 and 13.  But really, there are so many rankings web pages, so many opinions of "fantasy experts", so it really doesn't matter at this time.

I am going to say that Hurts will be picked ahead of Stafford in most drafts.  He has the ability to be a weekly winner based on his rushing upside and has already shown this.  Week 15 against the Cardinals last year, he had 338/3 passing and 11/63/1 rushing.  That's 37.82 in 4 point passing TD leagues, and that was the sixth highest single point total from a QB for the entire season.  That's a weekly winner!  Nobody gets this excited about Stafford.  I don't care if he has played for some crappy teams in Detroit.  Moving to LA is not going to move the excitement meter on Stafford.  We already know who he is.

This kid moves well, runs, and has a great deep ball.  I'm going to be targeting him as my QB1 and hoping that he is 2021's version of Lamar 2019, Josh Allen 2020, or Kyler Murray 2020.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CooL said:

Are you sure?  The two I've looked at has Hurts at 8 and 11, while Stafford is at 12 and 13.  But really, there are so many rankings web pages, so many opinions of "fantasy experts", so it really doesn't matter at this time.

I am going to say that Hurts will be picked ahead of Stafford in most drafts.  He has the ability to be a weekly winner based on his rushing upside and has already shown this.  Week 15 against the Cardinals last year, he had 338/3 passing and 11/63/1 rushing.  That's 37.82 in 4 point passing TD leagues, and that was the sixth highest single point total from a QB for the entire season.  That's a weekly winner!  Nobody gets this excited about Stafford.  I don't care if he has played for some crappy teams in Detroit.  Moving to LA is not going to move the excitement meter on Stafford.  We already know who he is.

This kid moves well, runs, and has a great deep ball.  I'm going to be targeting him as my QB1 and hoping that he is 2021's version of Lamar 2019, Josh Allen 2020, or Kyler Murray 2020.

How high are you willing to take him to ensure he's on your roster?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Ah ok let me try again...

Out of 35 qualified QBs over his last 2 seasons:  34th win percentage, 32nd completion percentage, and 31st in QBR.

Honestly don’t know what else there is considering there’s players that were just as adamant on those specific political issues and they’re still on rosters. 

1. Wins are not a QB stat. 
2. Kaep was better than most backups in the league. 

3. Kaep did it first and was *by far* the face of that movement and the most divisive. Faux-patriots weren’t boycotting the league because of Eric Reid they were doing it because of Colin Kaepernick. 

 

You can pretend that 49ers roster didn’t crater into oblivion if you wish (along with Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman leaving) but I won’t. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

1. Wins are not a QB stat. 
2. Kaep was better than most backups in the league. 

3. Kaep did it first and was *by far* the face of that movement and the most divisive. Faux-patriots weren’t boycotting the league because of Eric Reid they were doing it because of Colin Kaepernick. 

 

You can pretend that 49ers roster didn’t crater into oblivion if you wish (along with Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman leaving) but I won’t. 

 

First off, backup QBs are meant to compliment the starter as well as do a lot of film study. Kaep didn’t compliment most starters nor was he particularly known for his football IQ.

Second off, agree with his stance or not the PR that came with signing him wasn’t worth it FOR A BACKUP. No one needs their backup bringing drama. This isn’t even taking into account he didn’t want to take backup QB money. Again, if he was good enough he would play because owners care about winning ($) more than anything.

Also yeah wearing a Castro shirt in Miami will make you the most divisive that’s for sure...

Anyways, I’m done taking about the dude. No idea why his name comes up every other month nor why I got sucked into this conversation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

First off, backup QBs are meant to compliment the starter as well as do a lot of film study. Kaep didn’t compliment most starters nor was he particularly known for his football IQ.

Second off, agree with his stance or not the PR that came with signing him wasn’t worth it FOR A BACKUP. No one needs their backup bringing drama. This isn’t even taking into account he didn’t want to take backup QB money. Again, if he was good enough he would play because owners care about winning ($) more than anything.

Also yeah wearing a Castro shirt in Miami will make you the most divisive that’s for sure...

Anyways, I’m done taking about the dude. No idea why his name comes up every other month nor why I got sucked into this conversation. 

"Backup QBs are meant to compliment the starter" 

What QB has Tyrod Taylor complimented since he's been out of Buffalo? Marcus Mariota doesn't compliment what Carr does at all. Furthermore he didn't even compliment Alex Smith. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

"Backup QBs are meant to compliment the starter" 

What QB has Tyrod Taylor complimented since he's been out of Buffalo? Marcus Mariota doesn't compliment what Carr does at all. Furthermore he didn't even compliment Alex Smith. 

You're thinking of complement. Gohawks was saying the backup needs to applaud and cheer on the starter.

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CooL said:

Are you sure?  The two I've looked at has Hurts at 8 and 11, while Stafford is at 12 and 13.  But really, there are so many rankings web pages, so many opinions of "fantasy experts", so it really doesn't matter at this time.

I am going to say that Hurts will be picked ahead of Stafford in most drafts.  He has the ability to be a weekly winner based on his rushing upside and has already shown this.  Week 15 against the Cardinals last year, he had 338/3 passing and 11/63/1 rushing.  That's 37.82 in 4 point passing TD leagues, and that was the sixth highest single point total from a QB for the entire season.  That's a weekly winner!  Nobody gets this excited about Stafford.  I don't care if he has played for some crappy teams in Detroit.  Moving to LA is not going to move the excitement meter on Stafford.  We already know who he is.

This kid moves well, runs, and has a great deep ball.  I'm going to be targeting him as my QB1 and hoping that he is 2021's version of Lamar 2019, Josh Allen 2020, or Kyler Murray 2020.

Suit yourself, I'm not all that high on Stafford, but Stafford has McVay drawing up the plays, so after the full season, I'm betting Stafford finishes higher than Hurts. But the potential is there for Hurts to surprise all. As far as projecting this year's version of Lamar 2019, Josh Allen 2020 etc, my money will ride on Tua...another QB that could go undrafted in many fantasy leagues.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2021 at 4:16 PM, 1st-Place-Phinish said:

Stafford > Hurts on all Fantasy Football Draft Boards. With that said, I'll lay a bet that Hurts could be picked at the end of most drafts and pull a Lamar Jax and surprise many people with his overall production, but no way am I or anyone whose serious about fantasy drafts going to draft him as the QB10. There's at least 15 names being called that are fantasy producers at the QB position and that's not including this year's crop of QBs that will also garner some attention from the draftniks.

I mean, these are the same kind of comments that were being made about Lamar Jackson 2 years ago at this time & look how that turned out for the 2019 season.  Anyone that reached a little for him  did very well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, J.T. Marlin said:

I mean, these are the same kind of comments that were being made about Lamar Jackson 2 years ago at this time & look how that turned out for the 2019 season.  Anyone that reached a little for him  did very well.

Exactly.  In 2019, passed up Russell Wilson, and totally reached for Lamar with pick 73, because wasn’t sure if Lamar would come back around to pick 96, while consciously telling myself QB is deep, so go with Lamar’s 4.2/4.3 upside.  Had read many articles about Lamar’s improved accuracy, which also led me to reach for Andrews two rounds ahead of his ADP.   May be the only team that year to draft Saquon and set a new league scoring record.

Obviously wouldn’t take Hurts over Russell Wilson at their current ADPs, and it’s somewhat a gut feeling, but Hurts is athletic, works very hard, and has that “it” factor.  He’s worth the risk because of his running upside.  QB is deeper than ever, so can find somebody else if Hurts doesn't hit his dual threat scoring potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Eagles head coach Nick Sirianni refused to name Jalen Hurts as the team's starter and said there would be a quarterback competition this summer. 

Sirianni's announcement of a QB competition in Philadelphia can be seen as a rebuke of owner Jeffrey Laurie's reported desire for Jalen Hurts to get the Week 1 starting job. Beleaguered Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has denied those reports. Right now, Hurts would have the seemingly easy job of beating out Joe Flacco for the starting job, assuming the team doesn't draft a quarterback in the first couple rounds of next week's NFL Draft. "To name a starter at this particular time... we've been working with these guys for two days," said Sirianni, who apparently doesn't have access to film of Hurts' four 2020 starts. Hurts averaged 21.3 fantasy points in those starts -- seventh highest among QBs over the season's final month. He should be the Eagles' starter come September. 

RELATED: 
Apr 21, 2021, 11:43 AM ET
 
 
LSR7AHe.gif
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...