NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cincinnati Bengals 2021 Outlook

What does CIN do at 1.5 in the 2021 draft?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What does CIN do at 1.5 in the 2021 draft?

• Trade down from 1.5, pick stud OL with top pick
    • Trade down from 1.5, pick offensive weapon for Burrows with top pick
    • Trade down from 1.5 to out of top 10 to stockpile picks, pick BPA
    • Stay at 1.5, draft Oregon LT Pennei Sewell
    • Stay at 1.5, draft stud WR (e.g. reunite Burrows with La'Marr Chase)

Bengals hope they're a team on the rise in 2021.  On the positive side of the ledger, Burrows looks worthy of having been drafted first overall and they'll get him back in 2021.  Although I'll add a caveat that QBs coming back from ACL tend to be a bit tentative early on avoid contact and mechanics can be an issue, so it's possibly the "2nd year leap" is somewhat limited.  They have a great RB in Mixon and good WR core with Tyler Boyd and Tee Higgins although drafting another WR isn't out of the question.  The team has around $37mm in cap space at the moment to resign guys like Carl Lawson and perhaps add an impact FA or two from another team. 

Onto the challenges, a lot of needs to be filled in the draft or free agency.  The OL is a mess and will require a good amount of resources to fix. The defense basically needs talent all around.  TE is basically an empty pit, although I guess it's possible Drew Sample could have a 3rd year leap and be a quality starter there (although I think that's his ceiling, although if he turns into an All-Pro then I'll eat my words).  They're in a division that's a hard place to play - there's some opportunity since PIT seems like they're going to need a reboot either this year or 2022 at the latest with Big Ben retiring.  BAL is a perennial playoff team, and CLE finally seems to have figured out how to play football after decades of ineptness. 

What's your take for the team in 2021? 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They have so many other needs, this would be next level stupidity. So probably.

Nobody's comfortable with Samaje Perine. The man has been waived more than the Queen of England in the past couple years.

I don't think Sewell should drop to 1.05 but if he's there, obviously you take him. That's not a question to me, he makes both your running game and passing game better.

If Sewell is gone (eg the Dolphins) then trading down for more picks and getting both a good OL and some more D (eg Edge) would be a good plan.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Cincinnati Bengals 2021 Outlook
45 minutes ago, Boudewijn said:

I don't think Sewell should drop to 1.05 but if he's there, obviously you take him. That's not a question to me, he makes both your running game and passing game better.

If Sewell is gone (eg the Dolphins) then trading down for more picks and getting both a good OL and some more D (eg Edge) would be a good plan.

I'm with you on Sewell.  I think if the Bengals want him, they'll need to trade up with the Dolphins (or maybe even Jets) to get him, and I put the odds on that at 50/50 at best.  I guess the better question is "presuming Sewell isn't there at 1.5, what should Bengals do?"   TE Kyle Pitts at the 1.5 would be a bold move, although they might still be able to get him if they trade down with a team like the Panthers to get their 1.8 and a second rounder (maybe DE Jason Oweh would fall to them with the CAR 2nd rounder?).  Worst case scenario is Sewell is gone, they try to engineer a trade-down and fail, then in a rush to get their pick in before their time expires they make a strategically poor choice.  Like one of the 2nd tier OTs which would have probably otherwise gone at 1.12 or later, or a true reach pick  at 1.5 like Edge Gregory Rousseau.

• Like 1

I'm slightly biased as a Mixon owner, but Cinci absolutely needs to go for OL to protect Joe Burrow. They played themselves out of a guaranteed shot at Sewell, but they should really do what they can to ensure they get him.

14 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

Everything else from the early 90s is getting rebooted or making a comeback, maybe the Bengals can finally win another playoff game. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 minutes ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I just made history with the following text: “I hope that the Bengals win a playoff game.”

• Haha 1

They're in a fun spot, where you could easily see three teams taking QBs in front of them, leaving either Sewell or Slater as line picks, or Smith, Chase or Pitts as pass catchers.  Lot of good options.

Can't even wrap my head around how awful of a pick Chase (doubly so if Smith or Pitts) would be. Mike Brown must be trying to murder Burrow if that is actually the selection when they have Boyd and Higgins

Picking Chase because "cOlLeGe cOnNeCtIoN" is why bad franchises stay bad forever. It's something the Scott Pioli Chiefs or Matt Millen Lions would have done

Sewell if he is there, Slater if he is not (maybe with a trade back), Darrisaw in a trade back if both aren't there

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Can't even wrap my head around how awful of a pick Chase (doubly so if Smith or Pitts) would be. Mike Brown must be trying to murder Burrow if that is actually the selection when they have Boyd and Higgins

Picking Chase because "cOlLeGe cOnNeCtIoN" is why bad franchises stay bad forever. It's something the Scott Pioli Chiefs or Matt Millen Lions would have done

Sewell if he is there, Slater if he is not (maybe with a trade back), Darrisaw in a trade back if both aren't there

I don't think Chase would be an awful pick although it's a bit of a luxury pick for them, they're set in the slot with Boyd and pushes Tee Higgins into the Z receiver role instead of X.  To me it would be a better use of resources to sign someone like Marvin Jones to fill the Z spot and leave Boyd and Higgins in their roles.  Now if the Bengals trade down and Chase is still there at 1.16 or something then sure, go get him, but I'd be shocked if both the Eagles and Lions pass on him.  If they do draft a WR in the first it would certainly put pressure on them to pay up in FA for offensive line help though, unless a really good OL draft prospect slips for some reason and falls into their laps.  The 3 biggest positions of need are OT, DE, and CB  - you gotta think they'll fill at least one in FA. 

20 minutes ago, jumper said:

I don't think Chase would be an awful pick although it's a bit of a luxury pick for them, they're set in the slot with Boyd and pushes Tee Higgins into the Z receiver role instead of X.  To me it would be a better use of resources to sign someone like Marvin Jones to fill the Z spot and leave Boyd and Higgins in their roles.  Now if the Bengals trade down and Chase is still there at 1.16 or something then sure, go get him, but I'd be shocked if both the Eagles and Lions pass on him.  If they do draft a WR in the first it would certainly put pressure on them to pay up in FA for offensive line help though, unless a really good OL draft prospect slips for some reason and falls into their laps.  The 3 biggest positions of need are OT, DE, and CB  - you gotta think they'll fill at least one in FA. 

Chase is definitely not getting to 16 but yeah I'm not doubting his talent. Just seems like something that wouldn't be nearly as considered if not for the Burrow connection and I think that's bad team building

18 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I think the Dolphins try and get one of the WRs to help out Tua.  I think it's at worst 50/50 that Sewell makes it to them at 5 which makes the decision very easy. 

I think they'll do that

but if they were smart, I think they'd pick Sewell and improve the run game.

Tua reeks of game manager. You know what helps game managers?

Run games and defense. Worry about receivers next season. If Sewell is there, you cannot pass on him

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, sSektor said:

I'm hesitant to draft any Bengals players until Zac Taylor gets fired. Guy is basically Gase but with a more talented team.

yea? you'd be hesitant to draft boyd or higgins in the 5th+?

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

I'm hesitant to draft any Bengals players until Zac Taylor gets fired. Guy is basically Gase but with a more talented team.

This is the first I’ve heard that particular comp - how so?

• 1 month later...

Well the SF trade certainly helped the Bengals if they still want Sewell.  OT isn't a big need for Falcons and a team seems unlikely to trade into the 1.4 for an OT instead of QB.  Still think the front office may overthink things and take a skill position player instead. 

Joe Burrow faced pressure on 32.3 percent of his drop backs in 2020, the 15th highest rate in the NFL. 

Burrow has reportedly lobbied the Bengals front office to take LSU wideout Ja'Marr Chase with the fifth pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, forgoing on a top offensive lineman who could bolster protection for Burrow. In his rookie campaign, Burrow didn't face nearly as much pressure as QBs like Russell Wilson, Daniel Jones, and Kirk Cousins. Pass volume meant Burrow absorbed the second most sacks (31) before his season ended in Week 10 with a brutal Week 10 ACL injury. Burrow wasn't particularly good under pressure, completing a meager 37.3 percent of his passes when facing pressure in the pocket -- the second lowest mark in the league, better than only Drew Lock. Whether the Bengals go with Chase -- a widely held theory in NFL circles -- or top offensive line prospect Penei Sewell will be a central storyline in the draft's first night. 

Mar 31, 2021, 11:18 AM ET
23 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Joe Burrow faced pressure on 32.3 percent of his drop backs in 2020, the 15th highest rate in the NFL. 

Burrow has reportedly lobbied the Bengals front office to take LSU wideout Ja'Marr Chase with the fifth pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, forgoing on a top offensive lineman who could bolster protection for Burrow. In his rookie campaign, Burrow didn't face nearly as much pressure as QBs like Russell Wilson, Daniel Jones, and Kirk Cousins. Pass volume meant Burrow absorbed the second most sacks (31) before his season ended in Week 10 with a brutal Week 10 ACL injury. Burrow wasn't particularly good under pressure, completing a meager 37.3 percent of his passes when facing pressure in the pocket -- the second lowest mark in the league, better than only Drew Lock. Whether the Bengals go with Chase -- a widely held theory in NFL circles -- or top offensive line prospect Penei Sewell will be a central storyline in the draft's first night. 

Mar 31, 2021, 11:18 AM ET

he didnt face as much pressure as other guys because Burrow was getting rid of the ball pretty quickly.

That line was still prob the worse or second worse in the league.

Seahawks couldve overcame it a little more if they designed more quick passes

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jumper said:

Well the SF trade certainly helped the Bengals if they still want Sewell.  OT isn't a big need for Falcons and a team seems unlikely to trade into the 1.4 for an OT instead of QB.  Still think the front office may overthink things and take a skill position player instead. 

Might not be overthinking as much as accommodating their franchise QB, who I keep reading is pushing them to draft Chase. 

4 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

doublepost ;) (check behind you)

• Thanks 1

I think the "we must give our QB at least THREE WR's to work with or we're doing him a disservice" is a bit strange.   Boyd's underrated IMO, and Higgins looked great.   You want another outside guy, sure, but a late 2nd round pick or a solid veteran add like a Marvin Jones type player would be more than adequate.    Having guys wide open every play doesn't mean jack **** when your franchise player is in crutches or running for his life

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BrianM said:

I think the "we must give our QB at least THREE WR's to work with or we're doing him a disservice" is a bit strange.   Boyd's underrated IMO, and Higgins looked great.   You want another outside guy, sure, but a late 2nd round pick or a solid veteran add like a Marvin Jones type player would be more than adequate.    Having guys wide open every play doesn't mean jack **** when your franchise player is in crutches or running for his life

plus, burrow is good enough to not need 3 absolute studs. Boyd and Higgins with Burrow is great

all they need is a 600 yard deep threat type. No need to spend the 5th pick on a wr when defense and offensive line are the main issues here

• Like 2

Been arguing with my LSU brethren about the Bengals taking Chase over Sewell. I don’t see how they can take a WR over a LT of Sewell’s ability. Yet LSU fans can’t take off their LSU glasses...shrug. Their argument is Williams is the LT and newly signed Reiff is the RT, but how do you pass on Sewell if he’s there?