NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. 2021 Outlook

This is interesting. The Blue Jays infield depth is completely bare and OF is a bit crowded as it stands now. Vlad Jr. should play a lot of 1B but I am assuming they will give him some rest days at DH which would open 1B for Gurriel to potential slot in and out Grichuk in the OF. With Biggio at 3B and Semien at 2B, an injury to either of them also opens up a potential spot at 3B for Gurriel. Based on the quote, I think the best case scenario is Gurriel gets a bunch of late game defensive switches and a very occasional spot start here and there in the IF. Adding 1B isn't that valuable for fantasy, but 3B would be considerable. This is in addition to OF (and 2B on Yahoo).

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

This is interesting. The Blue Jays infield depth is completely bare and OF is a bit crowded as it stands now. Vlad Jr. should play a lot of 1B but I am assuming they will give him some rest days at DH which would open 1B for Gurriel to potential slot in and out Grichuk in the OF. With Biggio at 3B and Semien at 2B, an injury to either of them also opens up a potential spot at 3B for Gurriel. Based on the quote, I think the best case scenario is Gurriel gets a bunch of late game defensive switches and a very occasional spot start here and there in the IF. Adding 1B isn't that valuable for fantasy, but 3B would be considerable. This is in addition to OF (and 2B on Yahoo).

Jordan Groshans is on his way soon and can play 3B.  And Rowdy Tellez is a 1B/DH already.  Jays infield isn't that thin to me.  So I find it weird they want to play Lourdes back in the infield this season some.  Especially at 3B since he couldn't throw the ball to 1B from 2B.  Do they want to bring back the yips again?

6 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Jordan Groshans is on his way soon and can play 3B.  And Rowdy Tellez is a 1B/DH already.  Jays infield isn't that thin to me.  So I find it weird they want to play Lourdes back in the infield this season some.  Especially at 3B since he couldn't throw the ball to 1B from 2B.  Do they want to bring back the yips again?

Groshans has less than 100 ABs in Single A, it would be surprising to see him in the MLB before September. Rowdy is not a great fielder but yes he can play 1B. I am more interested in the possibility of getting 3B eligibility.

What other backups do they have? The thing is they do have is flexibility for the guys that are starters (Biggio 2B or 3B, Bichette SS or 2B, Semien 2B, 3B, or SS) but there are no MLB ready backups. The only guy on the roster right now that can back up 2B, 3B, or SS is Joe Panik who is a NRI. I know Gurriel had the yips at 2B but maybe its not an issue at 3B, yips are a weird phenomenon. If Blue Jays were semi comfortable with him at 3B I'd be pretty confident he would gain eligibility there during the year.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

Why couldn't he just win a starting OF spot?

He doesn't have to win an everyday OF position.  He already is the Jays' everyday LF period and was last year.  But clubs these days like to have flexibility in fielding positions as much as possible.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Groshans has less than 100 ABs in Single A, it would be surprising to see him in the MLB before September. Rowdy is not a great fielder but yes he can play 1B. I am more interested in the possibility of getting 3B eligibility.

What other backups do they have? The thing is they do have is flexibility for the guys that are starters (Biggio 2B or 3B, Bichette SS or 2B, Semien 2B, 3B, or SS) but there are no MLB ready backups. The only guy on the roster right now that can back up 2B, 3B, or SS is Joe Panik who is a NRI. I know Gurriel had the yips at 2B but maybe its not an issue at 3B, yips are a weird phenomenon. If Blue Jays were semi comfortable with him at 3B I'd be pretty confident he would gain eligibility there during the year.

Panik and Espinal are the backup infielders, and like you said Panik is a non-roster invite to spring training. I would be shocked if we see Groshans this year. Maybe if he's hitting the absolute piss out of the ball for 4 or 5 months in the minors, but he's more of a 22 or 23 ETA guy.

As for Lourdes, I feel like having him as a passable backup infielder allows them to keep an extra pitcher. If you look at the Jays rotation, it gets questionable really quickly after Ryu (and even his health is a question mark). Pearson is still a rookie with health concerns and Matz is about as "meh" as it gets. After that you've got guys like Robbie Ray, Tanner Roark, Ross Stripping and Trent Thornton. I wouldn't be shocked if they employed the opener strategy quite a bit this year or at least piggy-backed some of these guys for a couple of innings each. If Gurriel can backup the infield, they still have Randall Grichuk who can come off of the bench to play LF if needed.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Bash Bros said:

Panik and Espinal are the backup infielders, and like you said Panik is a non-roster invite to spring training. I would be shocked if we see Groshans this year. Maybe if he's hitting the absolute piss out of the ball for 4 or 5 months in the minors, but he's more of a 22 or 23 ETA guy.

As for Lourdes, I feel like having him as a passable backup infielder allows them to keep an extra pitcher. If you look at the Jays rotation, it gets questionable really quickly after Ryu (and even his health is a question mark). Pearson is still a rookie with health concerns and Matz is about as "meh" as it gets. After that you've got guys like Robbie Ray, Tanner Roark, Ross Stripping and Trent Thornton. I wouldn't be shocked if they employed the opener strategy quite a bit this year or at least piggy-backed some of these guys for a couple of innings each. If Gurriel can backup the infield, they still have Randall Grichuk who can come off of the bench to play LF if needed.

Yes, this is essentially what I think the Blue Jays are thinking themselves which makes a ton of sense.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, bradwatson said:

This guy a stud? Excited to see what he does this year.

I don't know.  Projections have him around 25+ HRs, 80 & 80 w/ 7 SBs and just under .270.

He's 27, so I don't know if there's any big jump coming.

I don't know that I'm keen on him at his ADP (85.39).

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 10:30 AM, 89Topps said:

I don't know.  Projections have him around 25+ HRs, 80 & 80 w/ 7 SBs and just under .270.

He's 27, so I don't know if there's any big jump coming.

I don't know that I'm keen on him at his ADP (85.39).

I feel the opposite. This is the year, and his ADP is going to be a steal. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I could see him being kinda meh on platforms where he only has OF eligibility but on Yahoo that 2B eligibility is everything.

Except I'm on Yahoo and I play him in my outfield.  He is golden even if he was just OF which he will be next season.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Very early, but why is he in the 6 hole? This limits his value ROS

Who would you move down? Lol. Semien biggio bichette Teoscar vladdy and they have Springer coming back soon. It’s a stacked lineup. 

• Like 1

Finally his long consecutive games started streak comes to an end.
He won't take away the crown from Cal Ripken jr, now, but let's be understanding. It's been a long season and a long 3 game streak. He needs rest.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

He was lifted in the 9th inning yesterday, might have aggravated something but the team isn't saying anything. Just something to keep an 👁️ on.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Dropped to 8th in recent days, which would be great news in my “Sent to AAA” league. Absolutely ghastly start to the season. I assume he’s on most benches by now, but what’s the outlook here? The Jays have OF options once Teoscar comes back.