NBC Sports Edge Forums

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. 2021 Outlook

12 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Dropped to 8th in recent days, which would be great news in my “Sent to AAA” league. Absolutely ghastly start to the season. I assume he’s on most benches by now, but what’s the outlook here? The Jays have OF options once Teoscar comes back.

He’ll be fine. Just a cold stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think he will be an everyday starter and they just want to increase his flexibility.

Panik and Espinal are the backup infielders, and like you said Panik is a non-roster invite to spring training. I would be shocked if we see Groshans this year. Maybe if he's hitting the absolute piss

Almost no chance he hits higher than 6th in the lineup, it's too deep. Pretty underwhelming to see his slash numbers almost identical to those of Joe Panik. I saw him walking through the concourse wit

21 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Dropped to 8th in recent days, which would be great news in my “Sent to AAA” league. Absolutely ghastly start to the season. I assume he’s on most benches by now, but what’s the outlook here? The Jays have OF options once Teoscar comes back.

Lourdes is one of the best hitting outfielders in baseball.  He will be fine.

I hope you guys are right. There's slow starts, but this is a whole other level of bad. I watch quite a bit of Jays games, and he looks absolutely horrible. Missing fastballs right down the middle and swinging at junk in the dirt. Not only is he not hitting, but he's barely getting on base (2 walks to 14 K's including tonight).  I was excited for him this year but this is discouraging to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

[...] Was a monster for the final month [last year] albeit in a short season. 

Last September: 7 HR on .368/.394/.653 (1.047 OPS) in 95 AB. Gonna try to give him more leash.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
15 minutes ago, CFN said:

Last September: 7 HR on .368/.394/.653 (1.047 OPS) in 95 AB. Gonna try to give him more leash.

He isn't some one moth wonder.  He will be fine.  It is just a case of whether it is a long slump or if there is something wrong with his mechanics or if he slightly injured.

57 minutes ago, CFN said:

You definitely should because the Lourdes works in mysterious ways. 

• Like 1

If Springer is ever healthy I could see him losing time to Grichuk if this keeps up. He hasn’t been playable all season so far.

• Like 1

His underlying stats are probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen. He’s lost and I don’t think he recovers this year unfortunately.

Clock is ticking. Springer resumes running today and could be back in the next few weeks. Teoscar and Grichuk are killing the ball, so Gurriel would seem like the odd man out with everyone healthy. He simply has to pick it up.

When Springer was healthy (for like 3 days, lol), they optioned Tellez. So even with Grichuk, Teoscar, Springer, and Gurriel there was going to be room for one of them at DH.

However, maybe next time they don't option Tellez if Gurriel continues to look like one of the worst hitters in the entire league.

He has a great arm from in the OF though. Already has a couple nice defensive assists this year. Tellez would be the odd man out as he offers nothing defensively. Teoscar at DH. Gurriel LF, Springer CF, Grichuk RF.

• Like 2

Good point. He has come a long way defensively in left field and was actually a gold glove finalist last year. He just needs to figure out how to hit again. 

• Like 1

Not only is he back in the lineup…he is playing 1b which would allow him to play everyday when springer comes back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 5/22/2021 at 6:17 PM, Dr. Whom said:

Not only is he back in the lineup…he is playing 1b which would allow him to play everyday when springer comes back

He'd play every day anyway.  With Springer back they'd have 4 outfielders.  One can DH in any given game.  The beauty of the American League.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He'd play every day anyway.  With Springer back they'd have 4 outfielders.  One can DH in any given game.  The beauty of the American League.

Ya theyre going to wrap Springer in bubble wrap and stick him at DH for a long time when he finally comes back would be my guess. LGJ’s arm in the OF & recent hot streak will keep him in the lineup on a daily basis.

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, chucky said:

Any chance he gets some 2b eligibility?

Not at this point. He has it in yahoo but I doubt he’ll have it next season as well.