NBC Sports Edge Forums

Prospect Draft is here! My pick is in 36 hours

It’s that time of year again. 
looking for some help selecting a minor leaguer with upside. 

it’s a 16 team league with 10 max minor league system. 
most guys in the top 100 are gone except for players drafted this year. 
so I’m mainly looking at new arrivals to the list or guys just outside the top 100. 

here is who was picked so far 

torkelson , max meyer, Austin Martin , Hedbert Perez, Zac Veen, Asa Lacy, Edward Carbrera. 

I wanted to get this post rolling so I apologize for not having a list together. I will update it later on. 

I wanted to ask the heavy hitters I know and the good prospect guys I don’t know. 
thanks

@brockpapersizer

@ChicksDigTheOPS

@garlando

@FouLLine

@HOOTIE

@ST. STEVEN

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

These guys available?

Nick Gonzales 

Garrett mitchell

Wilman diaz

Christian hernandez 

thanks for the reply my friend 

Gonzales , Bleday and Emerson Hancock were taken today. 

garrett Mitchell, Willman Diaz and Christian Hernandez are all available. 
One guy I also like that I was eyeing up last year is Luis Matos 

10 hours ago, fishingguy12345 said:

You didn't say what pick you have, so it's hard to know how many names you need lol.

Other guys to consider:

Emerson Hancock

Austin Hendrick

Mick Abel

My bad 

Bleday, Hancock and Nick Gonazales were taken. 
1 more pick ahead of me 

@HOOTIE

@ST. STEVEN

here is a list of guys available. 
thanks for the help everyone 

Luis Matos 

Hunter Bishop 

Francisco Alvarez 

Christian Hernandez 

Garret Crochet  

Josh Jung

wilman Diaz 

Kjerstad 

Robert Hassell 

austin Hendrick

Abel 

Garrett Mitchell 

Erick Pena 

Soderstrom

Acosta 

Jordan Walker 

Edited by Under500Forever
3 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

you like Matos at all? 
crochet?

im going to get a short list together soon and post again

Yea, I like both guys

Go with your gut, or who you like.

2 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

@HOOTIE

@ST. STEVEN

Luis Matos 

Hunter Bishop 

Francisco Alvarez 

Christian Hernandez 

Garret Crochet  

Josh Jung

wilman Diaz 

Kjerstad 

Robert Hassell 

austin Hendrick

Abel 

Garrett Mitchell 

Erick Pena 

Soderstrom

Acosta 

Jordan Walker 

How many picks you got?

My short list

Mitchell, diaz, hernandez, matos, pena, crotchet

• Like 1
7 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

How many picks you got?

My short list

Mitchell, diaz, hernandez, matos, pena, crotchet

Only have 1 in this draft but would like to grab another. Probably won’t happen 

Are you worried Mitchell may not develop power?

Edited by Under500Forever

Mitchell could be a monster imo. They are aging out in their OF (brewers) and should be a spot for him as soon as he's ready--which could be quite soon.

Hassell has really been catching my eye too, loud tools.

Soderstrom is also very interesting to me. Could move very quick, though likely to come off C spot, bat is great.

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Mitchell could be a monster imo. They are aging out in their OF (brewers) and should be a spot for him as soon as he's ready--which could be quite soon.

Hassell has really been catching my eye too, loud tools.

Soderstrom is also very interesting to me. Could move very quick, though likely to come off C spot, bat is great.

Any concern Mitchell may not develop power?

1 minute ago, Under500Forever said:

Any concern Mitchell may not develop power?

That feels like the common rub. But he has the raw power (and showed it well in BP and fall instructs)...little swing mod and that park=$

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

Only have 1 in this draft but would like to grab another. Probably won’t happen 

Are you worried Mitchell may not develop power?

He will probably never be a 30 guy, but should be 20 or so, with lots of steals

• Like 1
3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Matos, Alvarez, Pena jump out to me

Interesting on Alvarez?

Hasn't pena stocked dropped a bit?

Not a Mitchell guy?

33 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Interesting on Alvarez?

Hasn't pena stocked dropped a bit?

Not a Mitchell guy?

Mitchell is fine, if you have a good feeling about him, go for it.  I tend to veer away from guys who look more attractive because of steals. Burns me sometimes, but I know some good prospectors who like him. 

Alvarez is the 2nd best catching prospect after Adley for me, hit tool looks really good and he's quite young.  Potential 300 hitter with some pop at catcher.

Pena was my #2 FYPD guy last year after Jasson. He's still yet to play in a game.  I haven't heard anything bad.  He could be a big time power bat and everyone was in love with him last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 8:28 PM, Under500Forever said:

@HOOTIE

@ST. STEVEN

Luis Matos 

Hunter Bishop 

Francisco Alvarez 

Christian Hernandez 

Garret Crochet  

Josh Jung

wilman Diaz 

Kjerstad 

Robert Hassell 

austin Hendrick

Abel 

Garrett Mitchell 

Erick Pena 

Soderstrom

Acosta 

Jordan Walker 

I'd rank them
1a. Erick Pena
1b. Luis Matos
3. Josh Jung
4. Garrett Mitchell
5. Hunter Bishop 
6. Wilman Diaz
7. Tyler Soderstrom
8. Heston Kjerstad
9. Christian Hernandez
10. Maximo Acosta
11. Francisco Alvarez 
12. Mick Abel
13. Austin Hendrick
14. Garrett Crochet 
15. Robert Hassell
16. Jordan Walker
I'm not wholly convinced he won't ultimately usurp or rival Luciano as the Giants next big superstar, not unlike Bichette/Vladdy in Toronto. Slight(ish) frame but electric bat speed. 
3. Josh Jung
I'm not a huge fan, but there's something to be said for his safe floor and steady offensive skills. I don't think he'll ever crack the top-50 in redrafts, but he should be up soon. 
4. Garrett Mitchell
I'm a skeptic-turned-believer during Spring Training. Physicality and athleticism drips from him -- he looks the part. Factor in power and speed, and this ranking could ultimately look low. 
5. Hunter Bishop 
Tooled Up™ in a big way, but left-handed mashers in SF are a tough sell. maybe a .240 - 30 homer - 15 steal player at peak?
6. Wilman Diaz
Arguably the highest upside on the list. The athleticism, frame, and bat speed that superstars are made of -- but he is a Youtube highlight reel at this point. So was Malcolm Nunez. 
7. Tyler Soderstrom
When teammates (grown men) at the alternate site are calling you G.O.A.T. after your batting practice, and well-respected scouts are slapping down 60-60 hit/power grades, it's time to take notice. Soderstrom could be everything we hoped Brandon Belt could be - and more. 
8. Heston Kjerstad
Love the bat. I can envision a Conforto-like fantasy impact down the line. Beautiful swing, loosely reminiscent of Todd Helton. But he'll be lucky to be 65% the player. 
9. Christian Hernandez
If Christian and Wilman Diaz are still here, I'd guess Colmenarez is too? High risk high reward - enticing fantasy tools. Are you feeling lucky? 
10. Maximo Acosta
Maximo Acosta is to "Gleyber Torres" as George Feliz is to "Victor Robles". Still, there is plenty to like here. Athletic kid with a confident bat. 
11. Francisco Alvarez 
A better real-life prospect than fantasy prospect - but he has a great chance to become a top-5 catcher in the game for half a decade +
12. Mick Abel
Sometimes they turn into Walker Buehler, sometimes they turn unto Alec Hansen. 
13. Austin Hendrick
I don't foresee enough contact to be a major difference maker; more of a supplemental power piece. Still, I don't see a massive difference between Hendrick and Hunter Bishop, which speaks to the close values of the all the players on this list. 
14. Garrett Crochet 
Undeniably filthy, the strong relief risk keeps him out of the top-10 here. Still, if he becomes a Josh-Hader-lite, that's a helluva fantasy asset. 
15. Robert Hassell
Solid all-around skills, could be a huge riser with strength and physical maturity. Currently profiles as a .290-15-15 kind of fantasy player. High floor due to polished baseball skills. I wouldn't fault an argument to have him in the top-10 here. 
16. Jordan Walker
I don't believe in the bat speed or athleticism, but many others are high on him. Jury still out. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 12:08 PM, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I'd rank them
1a. Erick Pena
1b. Luis Matos
3. Josh Jung
4. Garrett Mitchell
5. Hunter Bishop 
6. Wilman Diaz
7. Tyler Soderstrom
8. Heston Kjerstad
9. Christian Hernandez
10. Maximo Acosta
11. Francisco Alvarez 
12. Mick Abel
13. Austin Hendrick
14. Garrett Crochet 
15. Robert Hassell
16. Jordan Walker
I'm not wholly convinced he won't ultimately usurp or rival Luciano as the Giants next big superstar, not unlike Bichette/Vladdy in Toronto. Slight(ish) frame but electric bat speed. 
3. Josh Jung
I'm not a huge fan, but there's something to be said for his safe floor and steady offensive skills. I don't think he'll ever crack the top-50 in redrafts, but he should be up soon. 
4. Garrett Mitchell
I'm a skeptic-turned-believer during Spring Training. Physicality and athleticism drips from him -- he looks the part. Factor in power and speed, and this ranking could ultimately look low. 
5. Hunter Bishop 
Tooled Up™ in a big way, but left-handed mashers in SF are a tough sell. maybe a .240 - 30 homer - 15 steal player at peak?
6. Wilman Diaz
Arguably the highest upside on the list. The athleticism, frame, and bat speed that superstars are made of -- but he is a Youtube highlight reel at this point. So was Malcolm Nunez. 
7. Tyler Soderstrom
When teammates (grown men) at the alternate site are calling you G.O.A.T. after your batting practice, and well-respected scouts are slapping down 60-60 hit/power grades, it's time to take notice. Soderstrom could be everything we hoped Brandon Belt could be - and more. 
8. Heston Kjerstad
Love the bat. I can envision a Conforto-like fantasy impact down the line. Beautiful swing, loosely reminiscent of Todd Helton. But he'll be lucky to be 65% the player. 
9. Christian Hernandez
If Christian and Wilman Diaz are still here, I'd guess Colmenarez is too? High risk high reward - enticing fantasy tools. Are you feeling lucky? 
10. Maximo Acosta
Maximo Acosta is to "Gleyber Torres" as George Feliz is to "Victor Robles". Still, there is plenty to like here. Athletic kid with a confident bat. 
11. Francisco Alvarez 
A better real-life prospect than fantasy prospect - but he has a great chance to become a top-5 catcher in the game for half a decade +
12. Mick Abel
Sometimes they turn into Walker Buehler, sometimes they turn unto Alec Hansen. 
13. Austin Hendrick
I don't foresee enough contact to be a major difference maker; more of a supplemental power piece. Still, I don't see a massive difference between Hendrick and Hunter Bishop, which speaks to the close values of the all the players on this list. 
14. Garrett Crochet 
Undeniably filthy, the strong relief risk keeps him out of the top-10 here. Still, if he becomes a Josh-Hader-lite, that's a helluva fantasy asset. 
15. Robert Hassell
Solid all-around skills, could be a huge riser with strength and physical maturity. Currently profiles as a .290-15-15 kind of fantasy player. High floor due to polished baseball skills. I wouldn't fault an argument to have him in the top-10 here. 
16. Jordan Walker
I don't believe in the bat speed or athleticism, but many others are high on him. Jury still out. 

This was an amazing write up. 
I forgot to thank everyone for their help. 

I ended up going with Garrett Mitchel. 
he has size and speed and if he can hit for in game power he could be a really really good baseball player. It was a tough call because I REALLY like Matos. He was taken about 6 picks after me. 

• Like 2