NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dylan Moore 2021 Outlook

[...] how patient will the M's be --  is Moore in danger of starting to lose PT?  they do love his defense, so maybe they'll give him some extra rope, but it's getting harder and harder to justify a hold on Mr. Moore.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed bench coach content
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't find a thread on him; so will create one here. Mostly undervalued due to small sample size in 2020; his average ADP is right outside of 100, which may be a bit higher than one would like f

Although I don’t disagree with you, and you’re likely correct, this sounds a lot like what was going through my head 4 years ago when deciding whether or not to pick up Whit Merrifield.

His OBP was .358 last season so he doesn't hurt you in OBP leagues as opposed to BA leagues.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

[...] how patient will the M's be --  is Moore in danger of starting to lose PT?  they do love his defense, so maybe they'll give him some extra rope, but it's getting harder and harder to justify a hold on Mr. Moore.

I can't. Moore relative success in a short season in 2020 seems like the outlier to me. He looks completely lost and I can't imagine the Mariner's (who are actually in contention) are going give him a long leash if he doesn't show some signs of life soon. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, street sharks said:

the good: he has the green light whenever he's on base

the bad: getting on base

His walk rate is a career high pretty much, so there's a sliver of hope I guess hah

15 HR 20 SB if he can crack 500 AB's but with a sub 250 AVG (id say in the 230's) without a doubt unless he can cut down the K's

Only way he reaches 500 AB is if the M's value his defense enough though

Some Statcast numbers:

Launch angle down from 17.3 to 13.9 (was 19.2 back in 2019)

Exit Velocity and Max exit velocity not much to see there difference wise, maybe down ever so slightly

Barrel % 2019 - 6.5%       2020 - 13.8%      and this year 12.1% so its still double from what he was at in 2019 more or less which is somewhat promising

Hard hit % was 36.1% in 2019 and this season its up to 36.4% but in 2020 it was up to 44.7% so I think he was overachieving no doubt last year, but to what extent?

He seems to be making a ton of Medium contact and his Hard contact is easily the lowest its been in the 3 years hes been in MLB, soft hit % seems to be normal (right in the middle of 2019 and 2020 numbers)

Overall I would still wait and see on him as 15 HR with 20 SB is valuable in category leagues, points leagues or roto eh depends on settings I suppose

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Thanks 1
On 4/23/2021 at 11:12 AM, kmoore1521 said:

His walk rate is a career high pretty much, so there's a sliver of hope I guess hah

15 HR 20 SB if he can crack 500 AB's but with a sub 250 AVG (id say in the 230's) without a doubt unless he can cut down the K's

Only way he reaches 500 AB is if the M's value his defense enough though

Some Statcast numbers:

Launch angle down from 17.3 to 13.9 (was 19.2 back in 2019)

Exit Velocity and Max exit velocity not much to see there difference wise, maybe down ever so slightly

Barrel % 2019 - 6.5%       2020 - 13.8%      and this year 12.1% so its still double from what he was at in 2019 more or less which is somewhat promising

Hard hit % was 36.1% in 2019 and this season its up to 36.4% but in 2020 it was up to 44.7% so I think he was overachieving no doubt last year, but to what extent?

He seems to be making a ton of Medium contact and his Hard contact is easily the lowest its been in the 3 years hes been in MLB, soft hit % seems to be normal (right in the middle of 2019 and 2020 numbers)

Overall I would still wait and see on him as 15 HR with 20 SB is valuable in category leagues, points leagues or roto eh depends on settings I suppose

Sitting tonight, if his defense wasn’t so great, he would either have been sent down or just a bench player.  Wish they would so one or the other so I could drop him...lol

looks like Sam Haggerty may be getting more PT 

27 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Sitting tonight, if his defense wasn’t so great, he would either have been sent down or just a bench player.  Wish they would so one or the other so I could drop him...lol

looks like Sam Haggerty may be getting more PT 

Speaking as Mariners fan, dropping Moore for Haggerty might be the move. They both have the green light on base. But it's looking more and more like last year's Moore was a mirage

2 hours ago, street sharks said:

Speaking as Mariners fan, dropping Moore for Haggerty might be the move. They both have the green light on base. But it's looking more and more like last year's Moore was a mirage

I tend to agree, except haggerty only qualifies at OF.  a big reason so many of us took the plunge on moore was that he's 2B, 3B, SS, OF eligible in y!

It's May 10 now and he has hit 1 HR and 2 more RBIs since that last comment. Haven't been watching his games, but is he still missing a lot of pitches?

14 hours ago, william said:

It's May 10 now and he has hit 1 HR and 2 more RBIs since that last comment. Haven't been watching his games, but is he still missing a lot of pitches?

He's actually been getting on base and on a three game hit streak. Problem is the rest of the lineup is now slumping. Might as well hang on if you have the room but don't hesitate to drop if he starts to suck again.

3 hours ago, Brye said:

Is he going to be the odd man out with Jared Kelenic being called up tomorrow?

consistent players in the lineup will be 

kelenic LF

lewis CF

haniger RF/DH

seager 3B

crawford SS

white 1B

france 2B/DH

so yeah I assume moore will likely go back to being a utility guy

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

consistent players in the lineup will be 

kelenic LF

lewis CF

haniger RF/DH

seager 3B

crawford SS

white 1B

france 2B/DH

so yeah I assume moore will likely go back to being a utility guy

I thought Moore was the official 2B.  At least Seattle said that at one point.  France was the DH.

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I thought Moore was the official 2B.  At least Seattle said that at one point.  France was the DH.

France is the worst ******** fielder I’ve ever seen so that should be the case 

• Like 1

This dude is heating up and is so useful as a bench utility guy for days where one of your players is out of the lineup or if you need steals in a tight matchup.  Should be rostered in all formats if he can keep it going 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Steal #7. That's with him struggling terribly early on.

If he's still on waivers, no one in your league pays attention.

Yeah this dude can legit steal 30 bags this year and hit 20 bombs all while being a super utility player

edit: over 30 bags**

Edited by Brye
16 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Well France is outta the picture for a few weeks, hopefully he can continue gaining some traction and maybe work his way back up the order.

France can't field.   He isn't long term going to take away 2B from Moore.

• Like 2
On 5/15/2021 at 7:01 PM, william said:

Following up on that SB - for those who were curious - he stole 3B

And another sb today, 3 run homer last night, this is what you call a Swiss Army Knife fellas multiple position eligibility  and does can hit homers and steal bags. 

finally starts to pick things up and then benched out...

(24 mins ago) Moore is not in the lineup Monday against the Tigers.

Moore has picked things up lately after a very slow start, hitting .290 with three homers and a pair of steals in his last nine games. He'll hit the bench Monday, with Donovan Walton taking over at second base.