NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gio Urshela 2021 Outlook

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 2:41 PM, MonsterMan said:

Scheduled to begin taking live batting practice within the next couple of days and should get into some Grapefruit League games.

Very underrated player.  I think the Yankees trust him now.  Was on pace for a really nice season.  Can sneak in there and go for next to nothing on draft day.

Yeah, really underrated. I understand some skepticism in regards to counting stats, as his regular lineup spot will be in the lower quadrant...but even his underlying numbers suggest he is very legit. While his batting average took a slight dip (from .314 to a still-v good .298), Urshela's xBA (.315) actually jumped 26 points, his walk rate (10.3%) was nearly double the 5.3% mark he posted the previous season and his strikeout rate dropped to a superb 14.4%. Defense only aides his PT/profile, as Urshela again ranked among the best defensive third basemen in the game, placing fourth among players at the hot corner with six defensive runs saved and posting the second-highest defensive runs above average among MLB third basemen.

Last 2 seasons combine for: .310/.358/.523 👀

• Like 4

Alex Bohm's ADP in ESPN leagues is 111. Gio Urshela's is 152. I see absolutely no difference between the two players. Urshela is a MUCH greater value. He's basically an infield version of Michael Brantley minus a few stolen bases. 

• Like 2

Agreed, I can’t believe he’s still going as low as he is. I had him on almost every team last year and it looks like I will again this year. Took him at 172 in the one roto draft I’ve had so far. Tough to get such a reliable BA guy with power in a great lineup that deep in the draft.

2 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Rotochamp has him batting 9th. I could see that happening, and if it does I’m probably out on him. 

Check out this twitter thread. He's hit 7th in every spring training game iirc but it is vital info for trying to peg batting orders. It has every teams lineup from every spring training game and the guy jots down notes/thoughts.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Kurland/status/1366167027560439808?s=20

Then click his docs.google.com part

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MRI coming for his knee. Hoping for a minor issue. Supposedly was "stable" during other preliminary testing following removal from the game. 

He'll take a seat for Saturday afternoon's matinee matchup, but it sounds like there's a chance he could return later this weekend. A trip to the injured list could be in play if he's not ready to go when the Yankees open a three-game series against the Rays on Tuesday.

More: Greg Joyce on Twitter

Pinch hit 3R bomb last night and then went in to play SS--his 4th appearance there.

With Torres on CV19 list for next week at least, he should get that 5th to qualify quickly.🤑

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, MonsterMan said:

From the COVID list to DTD due to hamstring, any thoughts on when he gets back into the line-up? With Rizzo at 1B and I guess DJ at 2B, is Odor going to cut into Gio's playing time at 3B?

Gio is going on the IL so Odor will be playing 3B for the foreseeable future.

• 3 weeks later...