NBC Sports EDGE Forums

J.D. Martinez 2021 Outlook

I feel like rumors of this man's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

YES YES, "it's extremely early" caveats apply, but given his lengthy track record prior to 2020 I think the "small sample size, no film" excuse is appearing to be valid for last "season."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, octapuss said:

Anyone think JD will get some starts in the outfield?

By May 23rd the Sox will play their 5th game at an NL park, so you have to hope he’s in the field for at least those games and earns OF eligibility.

10 hours ago, BMcP said:

As far as takes go, saying this guy was in decline and wouldn’t be worth his ADP was a wild one.

10 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Agent Just Dongs is gonna make some of us look real smart this year. I can't believe people let him go until 7-8 rounds!!!!

20 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I feel like rumors of this man's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Agreed.. was saying this months ago when he was projected to go in the 8th round in most drafts and still got scoff for it. Thought they were insane to let 2020 impact his ADP and future production that much. If he can get his OF elig. back, and keep producing the way JDM should produce, he will be back inside the 3rd round next year. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, MrBrett said:

Needs two more outfield appearances to gain eligibility in my CBS leagues. Probably too optimistic he starts two games for Met series. 

I think there is a good chance he starts both games. He's already started in the OF in a non-interleague game

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrBrett said:

Needs two more outfield appearances to gain eligibility in my CBS leagues. Probably too optimistic he starts two games for Met series. 

Given the second game has deGrom pitching maybe having that game off isn't a bad idea for any Red Sox hitter including JD.

But he should get LF eligibility for you soon enough.  With Franchy struggling and Renfroe only a little less worse, JD is getting more chances to play in the outfield then I would otherwise expect.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

JD may go 0fer but has now picked up OF eligibility for 5 appearance leagues. It was one of the reasons I had bumped him up my draft board and the lineup flexibility will be a huge plus moving forward. 

• 4 weeks later...

he qualifies as an OF in leagues where OF is a position, in YOUR league he will qualify for LEFT field when he plays 1 more game in LF he currently has 9

• 2 weeks later...

JD Martinez scratched with a sore wrist from sliding into second yesterday.  Video is Cora discussing it.  He says Martinez is probably available off the bench if needed, but scary for JDM owners.  Hope that wrist heals quick.  

• 4 weeks later...

Obviously 2018 will go down as his career year for Martinez by a very wide margin.  I drafted him hoping he could bounce back to his 2019 level since he's only 33 years old.  His numbers are slightly down from 2019, but he's still providing very nice value relative to his ADP of 78.  Definitely can't complain.  Hope he can keep it up in the second half.

• 1 month later...

I think it is more his batting isn't feeling well but anything to get him off the field at this point:

Red Sox placed DH J.D. Martinez on the COVID-19 injured list.

Martinez hasn't been feeling well, so the Red Sox aren't going to take any chances here. The 33-year-old designated hitter joins rookie outfielder Jarren Duran on the COVID-19 injured list while the team awaits their test results. There should be an update on Martinez's status at some point soon, but he's going to miss at least Saturday's doubleheader against the Blue Jays. It's a massive loss for the Red Sox, who have been slumping over the last week.

Aug 7, 2021, 12:25 PM ET

Guy has looked as lost at the plate the last few weeks as Stanton has all season.  Which is not a good thing.  Weak, half-hearted swings chasing pitches off the plate.  He looks like he is back in 2020 again.  He needs to get off the field for awhile whether due to a real illness or a fake one.