NBC Sports Edge Forums

Freddy Peralta 2021 Outlook

Will this finally be the long-awaited Freddy Peralta breakout? Peralta had a brief 2020 season as a middle reliever but averaged a whopping 14.4 K/9 over 29 innings. He's being stretched out in camp so it's looking like he'll get more innings (perhaps even start a few games).

His ADP on Yahoo is near the 400's, making him a very low risk but high reward play. Those in holds leagues may want to take a look.

What are we expecting?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

considering what thread we're in you can probably guess who it is lol

Peralta threw three above average type of pitches last season - FB, CV, and SL; all pitches resulted in below 90 exit velocity. Peralta's four-seamer was a Money Pitch in 2020 with a 44% zone rate, 47

Similar to Burnes, the man Ks folks at an elite rate. Similar to Burnes, he has a new pitch which is unlocking his whole arsenal. Similar to Burnes, the potential drawback was potential command issues

1 hour ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Will this finally be the long-awaited Freddy Peralta breakout? Peralta had a brief 2020 season as a middle reliever but averaged a whopping 14.4 K/9 over 29 innings. He's being stretched out in camp so it's looking like he'll get more innings (perhaps even start a few games).

His ADP on Yahoo is near the 400's, making him a very low risk but high reward play. Those in holds leagues may want to take a look.

What are we expecting?

According to write-ups "we" are expecting that he begins as 6th starter and/or swing man.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, Overlord said:

Looking at him in the rotation?!?!?!

Oh god, no.  Not again.

Haha, agreed. I think he's at his best and most valuable fantasy wise as a 2-3 inning reliever that can give you 4-5 K's before he blows up.

3 hours ago, beauso79 said:

I imagine he would need another pitch to be successful as a starter 

1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

He's working on a changeup.

Peralta threw three above average type of pitches last season - FB, CV, and SL; all pitches resulted in below 90 exit velocity. Peralta's four-seamer was a Money Pitch in 2020 with a 44% zone rate, 47.3% swing rate and 17.3% SwStr%. His curve was pretty solid and has an outstanding 76.7 exit velocity and 54.3% whiff %. The added slider, while did not use much (8 PA only last year), resulted with zero base hit and 3K; the EV was pretty solid at 84.9.

Per this article behind the pay wall at The Athletic:  “I don't know if it's going to be soon or this season,” Peralta said, “but I've been working on the change-up really hard."

https://theathletic.com/2410349/2021/02/25/freddy-peralta-pitch-repertoire/

He actually had a change-up before last season but the spin rate was not good (below 2,000) and exit velocity at 94.5 and 90 in 2019 and 2018 respectively. If he can find a way to refine his change-up (his change-up spin rate did improve in '19 to 1966 from 1704 in '18; this for sure give all of us owners some hope for optimism that he can eventually become a very solid SP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Big League Choo said:

Does this guy have any chance of sniffing the rotation?

Barring an injury to Woodruff, Burnes, Lindblom, Houser, or Anderson I think the rotation is pretty much set. He’ll likely end up as a multi inning reliever. I think he ends up throwing over 100 innings this year and with an elite k rate can be quite valuable though format dependent.

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Barring an injury to Woodruff, Burnes, Lindblom, Houser, or Anderson I think the rotation is pretty much set. He’ll likely end up as a multi inning reliever. I think he ends up throwing over 100 innings this year and with an elite k rate can be quite valuable though format dependent.

I think he'll get a few starts even without injury. None of Lindblom, Houser, and Anderson are all that impressive. Plus, Burnes is penciled in for 140 innings and Woodruff's highest IP was 121.2 in 2019.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2021 at 9:07 AM, meh2 said:

Though Anderson has been a walking injury in his career.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2021 at 2:49 AM, rasto21585 said:

Will he be an elite holds guy for this year?

Yes I believe so. Not many match his K rate and usage. I think he's better off as a reliever than a starter.

His value is higher in leagues with holds but I think he’ll get some starts throughout the year too so I wouldn’t be surprised to see 110+ innings. That many innings with elite K numbers and very good ratios is valuable in any league especially in a year where innings are questionable all around. 

Improved his chances at a rotation with a solid outing today.

Death, taxes, and Meh getting excited about Freddy Peralta in spring training!

• Like 3
3 hours ago, meh2 said:

Improved his chances at a rotation with a solid outing today.

Death, taxes, and Meh getting excited about Freddy Peralta in spring training!

Kid is looking incredible!

Even though he has hurt me ... badly ... before, I am all-in on Peralta again. 

This time I just need to remember the safeword.  I think it is "Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen."

• Haha 3