NBC Sports Edge Forums

Russell Wilson 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

The Seahawks sent a letter to season ticket holders. Many players and coaches mentioned. Not one was named Russell Wilson. 

Veeeeery interesting.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been very critical of Carroll but this is BS. He let Russ cook and he only pulled the plug when Russ burned down the kitchen by turning into Carson Wentz.

Wilson and Sean Payton would be downright scary.

2 hours ago, pikerbkb said:

If he goes, my money is on Vegas.

Makes the most sense because only place ( out of his 3 teams) where they can get a decent QB in return. Still a long shot.

On 3/7/2021 at 4:16 AM, Lamont Sanford said:

It almost seems like Pete Carroll became jealous of all the praise Wilson was getting during the Let Russ Cook phase. He was on fire over the first half, a legit MVP candidate. Kinda made Carroll look dumb for not letting Russ cook sooner. So Carroll puts a stop to the cooking so that Seattles success would be credited back to his “run more” coaching style instead of Russ’s MVP QB play. Carroll doubles down by bringing in a new OC that “shares his vision”. Russ realizes this, and says F-U to Carroll and now he wants out so he can cook elsewhere.

I’ve been very critical of Carroll but this is BS.

He let Russ cook and he only pulled the plug when Russ burned down the kitchen by turning into Carson Wentz.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, lolcopter said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4191143

Why would it bother you so much if Wilson got traded to thuh Raidas?

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

He let Russ cook and he only pulled the plug when Russ burned down the kitchen by turning into Carson Wentz.

That’s a pretty poor summation of what actually happened.

18 hours ago, Joe Mama said:

Makes the most sense because only place ( out of his 3 teams) where they can get a decent QB in return. Still a long shot.

Yeah because of the way Russ is playing this the Seahawks legal department is forced to remove Wilson from any marketing materials since they are not reasonably sure if Wilson will be on their roster to start the season. So really a legal move to avoid any future legal trouble or bad PR. Still a long shot if the Seahawks are able to strike a deal with another team, but it really brings to light how toxic this situation has become. 

2 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Yeah because of the way Russ is playing this the Seahawks legal department is forced to remove Wilson from any marketing materials since they are not reasonably sure if Wilson will be on their roster to start the season. So really a legal move to avoid any future legal trouble or bad PR. Still a long shot if the Seahawks are able to strike a deal with another team, but it really brings to light how toxic this situation has become. 

Interesting insight.  I have never done sports marketing but it seems that there is a lot that goes into it.

What a pity that they can't trade Russell Wilson to Houston for Deshaun Watson.  Win/win.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:14 PM, GottaGetTheWin said:

It sounds like a bunch of whining back and forth TBH.  I don't think Wilson is wrong in his complaints about the O-Line.  I also don't think he's going anywhere.   I do think Carroll needs to go.  It's disgusting that he put the handcuffs back on Russell after how they started the year.   

I think a lot of this talk is about the Seahawks wanting to see IF they can get a stupid haul for him.  I don't think they are going to get it though. 

Ya know...

There is some uncomfortable truth that Pete Carroll is right about Russell Wilson. #LetRussCook was a cute hashtag, but their offense was less efficient and collapsed in on itself the back stretch of the year once defenses got a beat on them. For one, it's easy to take away deep shots (the Seahawks thrived on the deep ball earlier in the season). 

It's on tape that Russ doesn't like stepping up in the pocket and isn't as good throwing the ball over the middle of the field than outside the numbers. He also isn't as proficient as other QBs in quick game either and won't just dink and dunk his way down the field. The reason for that he's that he's 5'10 and can't see over the OL. So teams have gotten better about how to pass rush him and keep him in the pocket. Were Russell Wilson detractors wrong about him in the grand scheme when he came outta Wisconsin? Yes. Were they right that his size affects his game in meaningful ways? Also yes. 

Only thing I disagree with Pete on is that I think they can be more creative in how to circumvent Russ' deficiencies aside from just being a power running team first and foremost. Kyler Murray has a lot of the same problems. 

• Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Thank you. That's all I'm saying. #LetRussCook wasn't a positive. 

18 minutes ago, Deuce1042 said:

Thank you. That's all I'm saying. #LetRussCook wasn't a positive. 

Look at Russell's game logs. 

The first 9 weeks of the season he had over 35 passes 6 times.   I'm using that 9 game mark because Week 9 is when he had 0 TDs and 2 INTs.  The final 6 weeks he had 35+ passes just twice(1 being 36 passes).  

Week 9 was a complete dud.  The week before that he had 2TDs and 2 INTs.  I think we can all agree those weeks aren't solid weeks. 

Are you guys telling me that 1 meh week and 1 terrible week justifies completely abandoning something that had the team on fire and Wilson playing at MVP level for the previous 7 weeks? 

21 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

The first 9 weeks of the season he had over 35 passes 6 times.   I'm using that 9 game mark because Week 9 is when he had 0 TDs and 2 INTs.  The final 6 weeks he had 35+ passes just twice(1 being 36 passes).  

Week 9 was a complete dud.  The week before that he had 2TDs and 2 INTs.  I think we can all agree those weeks aren't solid weeks. 

Are you guys telling me that 1 meh week and 1 terrible week justifies completely abandoning something that had the team on fire and Wilson playing at MVP level for the previous 7 weeks? 

Through week 9, his TD/INT was 26/6. For the rest of the season, it was 14/7 (his INT % increased meaningfully too, as it was clearly not driven by more passing). You're usually not more efficient with more attempts, so I think it's reasonable to say his performance degraded and the change in playcalling was related to it. 

Edited by trilly

So what was all the hoopla and speculation about Josina Anderson’s “Welp” text all about? Why did people assume this was about Russell? Never have liked her as a reporter and such a vague text like that is just a self-serving scream for clickbait and attention. She should be better than that. 
Also don’t understand why Bears media covered the welp as if you say it meant he was going to them. Why couldn’t Raiders coverage do the same?

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

His play the first half of the season wasn't sustainable. People are merely chalking that up to changes in play calling when it's more so that Russ' game deteriorated because defenses took away what they were doing well and it exposed his weaknesses. 

Without Chris Carson the Seahawks were pretty one-dimensional.

I have always believed that offenses are tougher to stop when they can beat you in multiple ways.

2 hours ago, CooL said:

So what was all the hoopla and speculation about Josina Anderson’s “Welp” text all about? Why did people assume this was about Russell? Never have liked her as a reporter and such a vague text like that is just a self-serving scream for clickbait and attention. She should be better than that. 
Also don’t understand why Bears media covered the welp as if you say it meant he was going to them. Why couldn’t Raiders coverage do the same?

Chicago fan here. My observation is that some of that is rooted in oddsmakers improving the future odds on bears winning division conference and title. People always think Vegas knows things, which, hell, it always seems like it. Combine that with that and you get the usual social media cycle of random connections. 

I personally think there is zero chance he leaves Seahawks. Just my opinion. 

10 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Was listening to the Pat McAfee podcast the other day and there was a leak from an unnamed source (of course) that in the offensive meeting where Russ found out that they were tweaking the game plan (Week 11?) and going back to #establishtherun the discussion got heated and Russ basically stormed out of the meeting. Apparently he lost his mojo after that and his play really dropped off. At least that was the way it was presented. Makes sense though given his interactions with the press and media in the off-season. 

Edited by pikerbkb
4 minutes ago, pikerbkb said:

Was listening to the Pat McAfee podcast the other day and there was a leak from an unnamed source (of course) that in the offensive meeting where Russ found out that they were tweaking the game plan (Week 11?) and go back to #establishtherun the discussion got heated and Russ basically stormed out of the meeting. Apparently he lost his mojo after that and his play really dropped off. At least that was the way it was presented. Makes sense though given his interactions with the press and media in the off-season. 

I honestly believe that.  If I'm playing at a MVP level and I'm told I'm getting handcuffed again after finally getting release I'd be pissed to. 

• Like 1

Here is Seattle's schedule last year from week 9 on and pass rank of opponent. (pass rank based on yards allowed, granted maybe not perfect stat)

Rams, 1st

Zona, 10th

Phi, 14th

NYG, 16th (defense played much better 2nd half of year)

NYJ, 29th (Russ threw 4 tds)

Was, 3rd

Rams, 1st,

Niners, 4th

Rams (playoffs), 1st

• Like 1
17 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I honestly believe that.  If I'm playing at a MVP level and I'm told I'm getting handcuffed again after finally getting release I'd be pissed to. 

Which is why I said I think there were more creative solutions than to just scrap everything and go back to what Seattle was doing before. But Russell Wilson went through a rough stretch of games mid year where he was terrible 3 out of 4 games between weeks 6 and 9. 

He was great against the Niners in that stretch but was *terrible* against Arizona, Buffalo, and LA. #LetRussCook was not a sustainable offensive philosophy and it wasn't good for their defense either. There are strategic reasons to have balance and harmony in your offense as it allows to control pace and tempo. Seattle averaged 4.8 yards per rush last season and the benefits of that were wasted letting Russ cook. 

Who knows the reality of this but interesting for us folks who are bored...

Bears trying to make offer for Wilson that can't be refused originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago

These Russell Wilson trade rumors and reports just keep gaining steam. Ready for today's latest?

This one comes courtesy of Fox Sports' Colin Cowherd, who isn't necessarily known to break news but cites insider knowledge based on sources often.

"I’m told the Chicago Bears are trying to make a move on Russell Wilson and trying to create a move that is so good Seattle can’t say no," Cowherd said.

Cowherd also noted Seattle would ideally not trade him to an NFC team, like the Bears.

"I have no idea how Chicago is going to make this work," Cowherd said. "They don't have a quarterback to give Seattle and they don't have a great draft pick to give Seattle because they made the playoffs."

And now buckle up, cause here is where it goes off the rails.

"Here's how it works, Chicago gives Seattle five first-round picks," Cowherd said.

"Now they may not be great picks if they get Russell Wilson, but they give up five first-round picks. Nobody else is probably going to offer that."

The only problem here, NFL teams can only trade draft picks for the next three drafts at any given time with the lone exception of trades made during the draft. So the most the Bears could give Seattle is three first-round picks, four if the trade is executed sometime between the Jaguars going on the clock and the Bears' 20th-overall pick coming up.

It has been reported that the Bears are prepared to offer a "boatload of picks" for Wilson or Texans' Deshaun Watson.

Then Cowherd suggested the Seahawks would be simultaneously working on a trade for a quarterback and singles out the Jets' Sam Darnold, who seems to be on the market. He also cites Carroll gushing about Darnold.

And then he confidently ends with, "very exciting."

He also notes that Seattle isn't concerned about the dead money situation, which many have seen as an obstacle or the specific reason the Seahawks won't trade Wilson.

Again, Cowherd's theory on how it works is impossible from the get-go.

But let's face it, this is exactly what Bears fans want to hear and will cling to through the weekend while they await the St. Patrick's Day festivities. #RussToChicago

Now, the Bears and Seattle could explore a third team to get Seattle a quarterback (if they don't want Nick Foles) or bring more first-round picks into the equation.

But we'll see.

• Like 1