NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Le'Veon Bell 2021 Outlook

Flyman75

It is not going to be much of a thread.  After Bell's "performance" on the field in 2020, and his comments before the Superbowl that he signed with KC because he figured by doing so he would not have to play very much, it is going to be tough for Bell to find a roster spot on an NFL team in 2021.

7 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

It is not going to be much of a thread.  After Bell's "performance" on the field in 2020, and his comments before the Superbowl that he signed with KC because he figured by doing so he would not have to play very much, it is going to be tough for Bell to find a roster spot on an NFL team in 2021.

I think he'll get a low salary contract that's mostly performance incentives (that he won't meet) so I think he'll be on a team. But mostly as depth and will likely be a game day healthy scratch most weeks. Even then I can't really see a path to season long fantasy relevance for him.  Perhaps he can be an extreme low-cost filler for a DFS contest.  But name recognition will probably price him out of that role also, his salary on DraftKings was typically over $4,000 and some weeks over $5k.  Which isn't huge money (top RBVs are easily twice that, sometimes triple), but he should be priced in the Darwin Thompson sub $2k range with the points Bell is creating.  IMHO he only hit double digits fantasy points once in 2020, and that's Week 15 only because CEH was hurt midgame *and* Bell got an unscripted receiving TD on a lateral during a broken play.  A broken play where Mahomes was running for his life and Bell was only in the backfield as a decoy (wasn't even play action, there wasn't even a hint of Bell getting a handoff or having a blocking assignment).

• Like 1

I hope you are correct.  I want one of my league mates to burn auction dollars on this player hoping for a late career resurgance that is clearly never going to happen.

I don't think he's too motivated anymore.  I imagine he'll find a home if he's willing to play for low wage, but what fantasy producton would you really get?   Me trying to be as optimistic as possible here says there's maybe a shred of a chance he finds a role as some team's pass catching back and he grinds out a sometimes flexworthy season there..........but how likely is that?   

7 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I don't think he's too motivated anymore.  I imagine he'll find a home if he's willing to play for low wage, but what fantasy producton would you really get?   Me trying to be as optimistic as possible here says there's maybe a shred of a chance he finds a role as some team's pass catching back and he grinds out a sometimes flexworthy season there..........but how likely is that?   

You can get pass catching backs better than Bell for lower price and get better production. You can normally get guys like J.D. McKissic or Nyhem Hines for free in auctions or on waiver wire, and even guys that got some buzz as a PPR pass catching back like Chris Thompson are easily had in late rounds.  Like @SharkSwimmer I'm hoping someone picks up Bell in the draft and holds the dude for half the season waiting for production that won't come.  Think about it, when's the last time someone in Bell's position came back to fantasy relevance after stinking it up for a couple years?   Doug Martin is the only one I can think of and he was a lot younger than Bell is now when he experienced his one year revival (before immediately sinking back into mediocrity from which he never returned).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

He will be on a team but there's obviously very little value at this point.

That's what I wrote last year, but very few believed me.

It could’ve had to do with the RB2 season he managed the year before under the same circumstances.  In any event, I’m surprised this thread has even garnered this much interest.

I still vividly recall actually wanting Bell last year until a few weeks (volume! I thought) before the season when negative reports started coming out, and me snapping out of it and asking myself "what the hell were you thinking?"   

Obviously he should've taken that Pittsburgh offer way back when, but I still feel like he was destined to fade away even if he stays there.   He had a year off to heal, and a chip on his shoulder, but didn't do anything with it.    He lost his edge, hunger, or whatever else you want to call it.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.T. Marlin said:

Just watch this dude plod his way to a high end RB2 season in SEA.  Carroll clapping his hands & chomping his gum after every 2 yard run....

I'm imagining him playing a Frank Gore type spoiler role for the next 10 years.  Get 150-200 touches at 3 ypc so he's not worthy of rostering for fantasy purposes, but simultaneously take away enough touches to torpedo the value of other RBs on the roster (killing Drake's value in MIA, Singletary's in BUF,  Marlon Mack's in IND).  Alex Collins owners are salivating with the idea that he'd seize a workhorse role and continue to keep Rashaad Penny as COP back in SEA, but if Bell goes there that's going to go up in smoke.  Bell will suck just enough to not have any value on his own, but tantalize with enough flashes to stop a breakout from Collins or Penny.  

On 3/3/2021 at 9:06 PM, BrianM said:

I still vividly recall actually wanting Bell last year until a few weeks (volume! I thought) before the season when negative reports started coming out, and me snapping out of it and asking myself "what the hell were you thinking?"   

Obviously he should've taken that Pittsburgh offer way back when, but I still feel like he was destined to fade away even if he stays there.   He had a year off to heal, and a chip on his shoulder, but didn't do anything with it.    He lost his edge, hunger, or whatever else you want to call it.   

A year off is probably one of the worst things for an athlete. I never bought into the notion that taking a year off is supposed to help an athlete heal and his body will be fresh the next season he plays.

• Like 2

On 3/5/2021 at 9:06 PM, Evincar said:

A year off is probably one of the worst things for an athlete. I never bought into the notion that taking a year off is supposed to help an athlete heal and his body will be fresh the next season he plays.

I never really thought about this - I just assumed it would be beneficial considering the hits he took over the preceding years, he'd "train hard" and then hit the ground running with whatever team he was on. 

Instead - with the year off - he spent some of his money, partied a little bit, and got soft. 

He was tracking for the HOF - now he's not even Willie Parker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I never really thought about this - I just assumed it would be beneficial considering the hits he took over the preceding years, he'd "train hard" and then hit the ground running with whatever team he was on. 

Instead - with the year off - he spent some of his money, partied a little bit, and got soft. 

Its happened a lot that past couple of years, Marshawn Lynch, Josh Gordon, Bell, AB.

15 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

Or maybe he really wasn't a HoF level player to begin with, the Steelers were able to teach their excellent OL how to support his "patient style" and combined with Big Ben and good WRs this was able to work out for Bell. But on other teams with less quality (and perhaps less teachable / willing to learn linemen) or a guy like Sam Darnold as QB that other teams don't regard as much of a threat, he gets exposed as a meh RB. 

• Like 1

Bell was pretty dangerous in his prime.  But, like many running backs, he had a short shelf life.  Giving him huge money late in his career was beyond foolish.

Now the question--will he be on any NFL team in 2021?  There are free agent RBs way ahead of Bell like Aaron Jones, Chris Carson, Lombardi Lenny and Mark Ingram, and there may not even be enough spots for those guys.

I am guessing the answer is "no."

• tonycpsu changed the title to Le'Veon Bell 2021 Outlook
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, nn4mz said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/free-agent-rb-leveon-bell-165742205.html

Okay, fellas.  Is it possible that he can return to form if given ample opportunity to do so?

Yep. Check his highlights from last year. He looks like the same player that he was for the Steelers. I get that people need to see it to believe it, but he still looks great to me. The problem is I don’t really see a backfield that he could see sufficient volume to be a reliable fantasy asset. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1