NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Brewers catcher Omar Narvaez said Sunday that Corbin Burnes' changeup looks way better so far in camp than it did last year.

"I think it's a big weapon for him this year," Narvaez added. Burnes started throwing a cutter in 2020 which really helped solve his issues against left-handed batters. If he is indeed sporting an improved changeup, it's yet another weapon he has to stifle lefties. Burnes finished sixth in the National League Cy Young voting during a breakout 2020 campaign.

Feb 21, 2021, 2:49 PM ET
  • First report sounds promising. Burnes was lights out lastyr, largely due to his pitching repertoire evolving. Could he repeat 2020's truncated performance & is this newfound Change up yet another tool for him?   
Edited by metropolitans
  • Like 1
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was feeling it today! His cutter might be in the running for top 5 most dominant pitches in the majors. For fun here is his chart from today: SI- basically it is an altered grip 4 seamer, sa

You are correct sir. 5 plus offerings--not even including his 4 seam fastball. This sort of stuff-- and how it all comes at different points on the velo spectrum, and moves uniquely, is borderline ins

I think you know why you are going to - if you want to label someone as unusually prone to suffering injuries, and urge people to sell him as a consequence of your opinion, you really need to provide

He may have the best raw stuff of any SP in MLB right now.

-High 90s heat (granted it gets beat up but better than a 91 mph fastball)

-maybe the best slider in the game

-an awesome cutter that emerged last year

-ridiculous RPM on his fastball

There are some risks with him and he has flaws but how can you not be sucked in by the potential and the fact he has made concerted efforts to improve his game

-got lasik eye surgery

-worked on his spin efficiency with a rapsodo machine

-changed his pitch mix last year to go away from what was hurting him

If he can get his fastball, slider, cutter, and change to be plus offerings he could be this generation’s Justin Verlander

• Like 2

If we can get 140-150 innings from this guy then sign me up.  I watched a lot of Brewers games last year (Hiura fan) and when this guy pitched there were times he made really good hitters look silly.  Innings have me slightly worried but I am more inclined to just deal with it when the time comes then let it effect me taking him as a solid #2 SP.  

11 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

In keepers and dynasties there may never be a better time. 

I have him in a keeper, and I’m not selling. I’d rather see what I have in him this season. Just because it seems like the best time to sell doesn’t mean that you should. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I have him in a keeper, and I’m not selling. I’d rather see what I have in him this season. Just because it seems like the best time to sell doesn’t mean that you should. 

He's in the 60's ADP currently. If he has an amazing year he jumps maybe 30-40 spots at best. If his 59 innings from last year vs pretty favorable competition was best case scenario there's potential for a much larger drop off. He's definitely an exciting guy to have right now though. 

Found this interesting on Burnes...

He practically completely overhauled his arsenal in 2020. Hard to compare what he did last year to anything because he was essentially a completely different pitcher.  That entire thread is great, by the way.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

He's in the 60's ADP currently. If he has an amazing year he jumps maybe 30-40 spots at best. If his 59 innings from last year vs pretty favorable competition was best case scenario there's potential for a much larger drop off. He's definitely an exciting guy to have right now though. 

I’m not one of those guys who are always looking to sell any player who’s playing better than he ever has, and frankly, I don’t get it. I’d prefer to reap the rewards of having him on my team rather than being afraid he might falter. 

Edited by Flyman75
34 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I’m not one of those guys who are always looking to sell any player who’s playing better than he ever has, and frankly, I don’t get it. I’d prefer to reap the rewards of having him on my team rather than being afraid he might falter. 

You shouldn’t sell just because someone is doing good; you should sell if you think their value is the highest it will be.   Personally, I think now would be a good time to sell Burnes especially in dynasty leagues. He’s filthy, but he hit 6 innings in only a 1/3 of his starts last year, 7 innings in only 1 start, and has significant injury concerns.  I don’t doubt that he’ll do well and rack up the K’s when he actually plays, (although even pitcherlist said his fastball overperformed), but he has monumental risk involved imo that isn’t being baked into his price right now.  I saw someone make a comparison to Justin Verlander in this thread, who was one of the top workhorses of this decade.  For me, Burnes is like the complete opposite of Verlander (who was also a model of health before his TJ).   

Edited by Fbaseballgod

While I agree that there is some risk involved at his current ADP, there is also a lot of room for profit.  He added the cutter in August last year and proceeded to strike out the world.  I think his other offerings really played well off of it.  His other pitches all get good WHIFFs minus the 2 seamer which actually started to get more swinging strikes as the season went on.  He actually had 0 swinging strikes on his 2 seamer in July before he started throwing the cutter.

While there is sure to be some regression (He only gave up 2 HR in '20), I love it when guys add a new pitch and it is an elite offering.  While I personally wouldn't sell, His value is high coming off that fantastic 59 inning sample.  Could it get higher?  That's debatable and its tough to gauge value coming off of a short '20.  I do think Burnes has the potential to be elite, he just needs to get some innings under his belt.  

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

You shouldn’t sell just because someone is doing good; you should sell if you think their value is the highest it will be.   Personally, I think now would be a good time to sell Burnes especially in dynasty leagues. He’s filthy, but he hit 6 innings in only a 1/3 of his starts last year, 7 innings in only 1 start, and has significant injury concerns.  I don’t doubt that he’ll do well and rack up the K’s when he actually plays, (although even pitcherlist said his fastball overperformed), but he has monumental risk involved imo that isn’t being baked into his price right now.  I saw someone make a comparison to Justin Verlander in this thread, who was one of the top workhorses of this decade.  For me, Burnes is like the complete opposite of Verlander (who was also a model of health before his TJ).   

That’s all fine and good...sell. I’m hanging tight whether his value is as high as it’ll ever get or not. I’m in the business of collecting players I believe in for the purpose of having them contribute to my success. If I drafted/kept Burnes, it means I believe in his ability to help my run for a title. And I know what some will say...trade him at his highest value to acquire players who will maximize my chances to win. But how can anyone tell me I’m maximizing my opportunity to win...maybe keeping Burnes better accomplishes that? And besides, how much is Burnes truly going to bring, anyway? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Best Pitcher in baseball.

Don't forget, best hair in baseball too. Guy is filthy. Sick flow. What more could you ask for.

• Like 1

Looks like wins will be hard though. MIL offense looks sad. What a shame.

Left with 1-0 lead, they bring in some AAAA type RP. They walk the bases loaded even though the guy is batting .071, and the next guy batting .115 ties game.

Edited by papasmurf

I'm going to get **** for saying this, but I genuinely think this is a good time to sell high.  He's just so injury prone that I think if you can sell him to someone who thinks he's going to be a top 5 SP it would be worth it.  He's looked so phenomenal so far

4 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I'm going to get **** for saying this, but I genuinely think this is a good time to sell high.  He's just so injury prone that I think if you can sell him to someone who thinks he's going to be a top 5 SP it would be worth it.  He's looked so phenomenal so far

I think you know why you are going to - if you want to label someone as unusually prone to suffering injuries, and urge people to sell him as a consequence of your opinion, you really need to provide some convincing evidence.

• Like 5

This dude just have amazing stuff - perhaps the best in baseball. The HRs don't seem to be an issue now, and the BBs have been nonexistent to start the season. I am all in and would be trying to acquire him everywhere

• Like 1