NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was feeling it today! His cutter might be in the running for top 5 most dominant pitches in the majors. For fun here is his chart from today: SI- basically it is an altered grip 4 seamer, sa

You are correct sir. 5 plus offerings--not even including his 4 seam fastball. This sort of stuff-- and how it all comes at different points on the velo spectrum, and moves uniquely, is borderline ins

I think you know why you are going to - if you want to label someone as unusually prone to suffering injuries, and urge people to sell him as a consequence of your opinion, you really need to provide

Just about every year there's a guy that takes the very good-to-great leap (Bieber last season was a big one) and Burnes sure looks like the dude this year. If the command is there, holy **** he is close to unhittable.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

I'm no scout but it seems like Burnes has 5 plus pitches (Cutter, Sinker, Slider, Change, Curve). With his cutter potentially being plus-plus.

You are correct sir. 5 plus offerings--not even including his 4 seam fastball. This sort of stuff-- and how it all comes at different points on the velo spectrum, and moves uniquely, is borderline insanity. I have watched every pitch this year and even a very high percentage of his misses are right on the edges, and he seems to fool the umpires because of the late actions on his stuff too. Batters have a low chase rate (right now and obv SSS) because they just have no shot up there right now. His command of this arsenal is astounding too, if that has really taken the next step forward then his ceiling is not only top 5 in all of baseball, but level with Cole, deGrom and Bieber.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

[...] 

BTW, if you need a follow on Twitter, Matt Williams, who I linked earlier in the thread was all over this guy.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

You are correct sir. 5 plus offerings--not even including his 4 seam fastball. This sort of stuff-- and how it all comes at different points on the velo spectrum, and moves uniquely, is borderline insanity. I have watched every pitch this year and even a very high percentage of his misses are right on the edges, and he seems to fool the umpires because of the late actions on his stuff too. Batters have a low chase rate (right now and obv SSS) because they just have no shot up there right now. His command of this arsenal is astounding too, if that has really taken the next step forward then his ceiling is not only top 5 in all of baseball, but level with Cole, deGrom and Bieber.

Totally agree. His combination of repertoire and velocity is on the prime Verlander and 2013 Matt Harvey (pre-TJ) level. If his command has taken a leap we’re talking double digit strikeouts being a reasonable probability almost every start. 

• Like 1

Been a pleasure owning him. 160 innings could be the limit unless the Brewers are in playoff position down the stretch.  Brewers need to start scoring some runs for their aces 

2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

12 months ago who would've thought the Brewers would have two aces and scoring runs would be their biggest issue? 

Hiura & Yelich need to fix their strikeout issues. Otherwise this is likely to last.

15 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

Woodruff just went 7ip 1h 0er 8ks what lol 😆

Woodruff is a guy I like a ton and he's had consistent success, but based on pure stuff Burnes is pure top-shelf.

Another start, another masterful performance (and I do not use that lightly).

According to Elias, he is the first starting pitcher to amass 30 strikeouts through 3 appearances, without allowing a walk in the modern era (since 1900).

Also became the first pitcher in the last 120 seasons of MLB to have a streak of 3 straight games with 6+ IP and 2 or fewer baserunners allowed.

His 10 strikeouts today came on: Change, Curve, Cutter, Slider, Slider, 4seamFA, Cutter, Cutter, 2seamFA, Cutter...in order

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
3 hours ago, B&F said:

Has a pitcher every single handedly won a league for an owner?

Maybe 1999 Pedro Martinez..when pitchers actually threw CG shutouts, That will never happen again, with Burnes we are talking a pitcher up that barely lasts 5 innings every game. Pitchers are "different" nowadays

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Redphan said:

Maybe 1999 Pedro Martinez..when pitchers actually threw CG shutouts, That will never happen again, with Burnes we are talking a pitcher up that barely lasts 5 innings every game. Pitchers are "different" nowadays

Barely lasts 5? Well, he’s gone 6.1, 6, and 6 this year. It’s not 8, but it’s not barely 5 either. 

On 4/15/2021 at 12:36 AM, papasmurf said:

If keeping him under 90 pitches is gonna keep him fresh for as long as possible, I am all for it.

I disagree, because if he could just throw another inning he could win 20+ games with Williams and Hader in that pen and be a true ace

• Like 1
On 4/15/2021 at 1:32 AM, Flyman75 said:

Barely lasts 5? Well, he’s gone 6.1, 6, and 6 this year. It’s not 8, but it’s not barely 5 either. 

He could win more games if he pitched further into the game, like pitchers used to, is all I was saying

6 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

You still use dialup too?

Only to watch the Smurfs dude, am I not allowed to have an opinion? I just wish my Brewer stud SP threw deeper into the game is all I was saying; so maybe Yount. Molitor, or Cooper could have some late inning heroics and win Burnes 20+ games this year. Dang tough crowd

• Like 2