NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Corbin Burnes 2021 Outlook

46 minutes ago, The General said:

Please just be side effects from the shot. Get well, Corbin.

From the comments from the GM it is not.  He got COVID.

COVID messing with my fantasy season.

Edited by B&F

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

So they just don’t say anything about it. Pretty cool. This is fine.

They can't without his consent which actually concerns me.  If he doesn't want them talking about it maybe he is being hit hard by it.  Speculating though.

13 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Figured he'd be back sometime this week, Covid HAD to have hit him hard.

10 day minimum for COVID-19 infection.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Apparently he never had to take a step back in his throwing regimen...interesting

I’m sure I’m way off base in this case, but my skeptical side is wondering if teams are going to abuse the covid-IL much like the Dodgers have been doing with the regular IL for starting pitchers with innings limits this year when they want to skip a start or two. Since teams aren’t required to reveal any of the specifics why their players are going on the covid IL, I’m sure it’ll be a matter of time before teams get tempted to massage the guidelines.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I’m sure I’m way off base in this case, but my skeptical side is wondering if teams are going to abuse the covid-IL much like the Dodgers have been doing with the regular IL for starting pitchers with innings limits this year when they want to skip a start or two. Since teams aren’t required to reveal any of the specifics why their players are going on the covid IL, I’m sure it’ll be a matter of time before teams get tempted to massage the guidelines.

I would be shocked if that hasn't already been going on.

Thankfully he should keep this up considering how not good the hitting in the division is.  Unfortunately wins are going to still be difficult to come by.  

Honestly, and I know people are going to fall out of their chairs when I say this,  I am not sure I am thrilled at the 5th round price I paid to get him. Starting pitchers gotta get some wins.  Ks and Wins for SPs.  I can get WHIP and ERA a lot of ways.

35 minutes ago, B&F said:

Honestly, and I know people are going to fall out of their chairs when I say this,  

As they should.  He’s established himself as a bonafide ace at this point.  The wins will come.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I mean the Dbacks are terrible, but my goodness is this dude impressive. Dominant $hit.

I am trying not to get too excited about it for this reason but still nice to see.

12 hours ago, B&F said:

I am trying not to get too excited about it for this reason but still nice to see.

You guys act like he's fallen off a cliff after having a low 3 ERA and 12.5 K/9 in may lol. And he still leads the league in xERA, FIP, is second in xFIP, second in swinging strike % and first in CSW.

He will be fine.

Spin rates were down across the board yesterday, down 112 on the Cutter but it didnt seem to matter as his Whiff % was 44 for the pitch and his CSW on the pitch was 55%. Per Statcast, his whiff % for the year on the Cutter is 33.7%.

All that to say, if his spin rate was down because he wasn't using sticky stuff, at least for one game, it didnt affect the performance of his best pitch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hgh22 said:

Spin rates were down across the board yesterday, down 112 on the Cutter but it didnt seem to matter as his Whiff % was 44 for the pitch and his CSW on the pitch was 55%. Per Statcast, his whiff % for the year on the Cutter is 33.7%.

All that to say, if his spin rate was down because he wasn't using sticky stuff, at least for one game, it didnt affect the performance of his best pitch. 

Obviously there's a small chance I could be wrong, but if you go out and pitch the best game of  your career (at least from a K and CSW perspective), it seems likely that he's pretty safe whether he was cheating beforehand or not.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...