NBC Sports Edge Forums

When to draft Wander Franco?

Looking for opinions on where Franco would be drafted in a keeper league.  10 teams, 6 keepers, we do not have an NA spot, or any special spot for someone in the minors, so he'd be taking up a roster spot.  Trying to figure out if it's worth it to try and snag him and hope he gets the call up and produces, and can be either a keeper or be traded for draft picks for next year.  I would think I'd need to grab him maybe 3 or 4 rounds before the end of the draft to be safe, but I may be off with that estimate.  

No way of knowing without knowing the people.  It's likely most people that have done any prep are at the very least aware of him.   Without any further information, I would draft him if I'm in a spot where after my starters are filled and  I don't like any player that's available at that point and I think one or more of them will come back.  

The other question is: how close are you to competing? Are your 6 keepers really high quality?

If you're not likely to compete this year and your last keeper isn't a top 60 player then you ought to draft him as if it was a dynasty league rather than a keeper league, so that way when he is up you'll have what is expected to be a top 20 player.

We used to do that before implementing minor league slots in our keeper league. I snagged Miggy with my first bench spot.

I think with all the hype around him, you’re going have to draft him like I did Miggy, if you want him that bad, if not the end of your rounds to fill out your active rosters.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

We used to do that before implementing minor league slots in our keeper league. I snagged Miggy with my first bench spot.

I think with all the hype around him, you’re going have to draft him like I did Miggy, if you want him that bad, if not the end of your rounds to fill out your active rosters.

Given that this is a 10 reamer and not a 12 or 15, I think there's a little more slack to drafting wander.   There will be startable guys at all spots and likely on waivers.  I would argue to go one step further and snag him BEFORE all rosters are filled.   There will not be a player of Wanders potential on waivers at any point in the year.  There will be an enamored , out of convention owner that will give you a player thats way better than a mid rounder.  9 other people in your league are wondering the same thing as you are.   

**edit:  my thoughts on this question changed after I saw that it was a keep 6 and 10 teams.

Edited by Cesare13
3 hours ago, fishingguy12345 said:

The other question is: how close are you to competing? Are your 6 keepers really high quality?

If you're not likely to compete this year and your last keeper isn't a top 60 player then you ought to draft him as if it was a dynasty league rather than a keeper league, so that way when he is up you'll have what is expected to be a top 20 player.

I was 2nd last year and my keepers are Acuna, Soto, Bichette, Rendon, deGrom, Bauer 

• Like 1

The way I see is: you have 4 top 10-ish players now (Acuna, soto, Bichette, degrom), picking up Wander fairly early in your draft gives you a nice piece for the future without really compromising this season since your keepers will keep you in contention. 

I'm in a keep 3 league, I'm aiming to draft Wander or Kelenic in around the 6th round of the draft, to have one of them as a keeper going forward.

• Like 1