NBC Sports Edge Forums

Prospect draft this Sunday. I have the 4th pick. Asa Lacy, Max Meyer, Zac Veen, or Nick Gonzales? WHIR

This is a prospects draft for the 2020 class.  I am assuming that Torkelson and Austin Martin will be gone by the fourth pick.  That leaves me with Asa Lacy, Max Meyer, Zac Veen, or Nick Gonzales. 

Edited by enyouartist
1 hour ago, Cesare13 said:

Yea. Zac veen for sure.   All of his prospect pedigree is hitting whereas spme of Gonzalez is fielding.   Add in Coors and its the safest bet.

Veen I love. And he could have the highest upside.

But a 19 year old, 3 to 4 year project, isnt the safest bet. 

Meyer.  He’s going to be an ace.  He’s my favorite pitching prospect in the minors and the only pitching prospect I’ve ever aggressively persued in 4 years of dynasty baseball.  A lot of sites have him as the #5 overall in FYPD so it’s not incredibly outlandish.  I don’t expect you to take my advice, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Meyer.  He’s going to be an ace.  He’s my favorite pitching prospect in the minors and the only pitching prospect I’ve ever aggressively persued in 4 years of dynasty baseball.  A lot of sites have him as the #5 overall in FYPD so it’s not incredibly outlandish.  I don’t expect you to take my advice, but don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

Meyer may be good. 

But pitching prospects dont have a great track record, compared to hitters.

Scouts drooled over

Michael kopech

Anderson Espinosa

Forrest whitley

Aj puk

Julio urias he might pan out, but already has 4 years in

Why pass on veen or gonzales?

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

You seem to know quite a bit about meyer.   Without high jacking the thread,  isn't he a very possible bullpen guy because of his size?  (Not my conjecture, but heard an analyst say it.)

On 3/1/2021 at 11:05 AM, HOOTIE said:

Meyer may be good. 

But pitching prospects dont have a great track record, compared to hitters.

Scouts drooled over

Michael kopech

Anderson Espinosa

Forrest whitley

Aj puk

Julio urias he might pan out, but already has 4 years in

Why pass on veen or gonzales?

You don’t have to tell me twice, WRT hitters over pitchers.  Like I said, he’s the ONLY pitching prospect I’ve aggressively tried to get in 4 years.  Most of the times I won’t even touch any pitching prospects- I just had a MILB draft where I got like 40 prospects and only 4 were pitchers.   Meyer is an exception for me because he’s so ridiculously dominant and his stuff is so insane, and he has a track record 

• Thanks 1
On 3/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, Cesare13 said:

You seem to know quite a bit about meyer.   Without high jacking the thread,  isn't he a very possible bullpen guy because of his size?  (Not my conjecture, but heard an analyst say it.)

That’s what a lot of people are saying, but I think that’s a risk that’s a little overstated.  1) the Marlins drafted him 3rd overall, and they have a phenomenal track record when it comes to pitching.   They definitely think he’s a starter.  2)  a lot of the bullpen risk seems to come from guys that are concerned about Meyer only have 2 pitches.  But while his changeup is not as good as his wipeout fastball and slider, it’s still more than useable, and besides we’ve seen 2 pitch pitchers succeed lately with Lamet and Valdez.  3)  Some people say he’s a bullpen risk because he’s short- but Meyer is uniquely situated to have good stamina because his mechanics are so pure and because he is so incredibly fit

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
On 3/1/2021 at 9:09 AM, Fbaseballgod said:

I was leaning either Meyer or Veen.  If you look at my squad below in my signature, I need pitching and have plenty of outfielders on my team and my farm (Acuna, Bellinger, Randy Arozarena, Kelenic, Julio Rod, D.Carlson, B.Marsh) .  However I typically stay away from pitching prospects and have to luxury of waiting for Veen to develop because my outfield is deep with young talent. 

My league has a 12 hour wait time between draft picks, so I actually haven't picked yet.  Still torn over Veen or Meyer.   

Edited by enyouartist
49 minutes ago, enyouartist said:

I was leaning either Meyer or Veen.  If you look at my squad below in my signature, I need pitching and have plenty of outfielders on my team and my farm (Acuna, Bellinger, Randy Arozarena, Kelenic, Julio Rod, D.Carlson, B.Marsh) .  However I typically stay away from pitching prospects and have to luxury of waiting for Veen to develop because my outfield is deep with young talent. 

My league has a 12 hour wait time between draft picks, so I actually haven't picked yet.  Still torn over Veen or Meyer.   

Go Meyer. You won’t regret it