NBC Sports Edge Forums

Continuing to look for diamonds in the rough TE position I'm throwing out Adam Trautman's name.  Like the Parham post I just put up, didn't get a lot of looks offensively last year but seems to have the potential to be a starter going into 2021.  Below is a link to an article detailing his game but the biggest thing here is Jared Cook is gone.  While Trautman didn't have a lot of targets, he definitely did a lot with what he got including 9 of his catches going for 1st downs.  Now that could be because teams weren't watching him as a main option, but there seems to receiving skills here.  Maybe more importantly, he was by far the best graded run blocking TE by PFF(credit the article below) so it's easy to see how he can be an every down player in an offense. 

I think there's a lot to be excited about here, but there's obviously one major major MAJOR question that can limit his and everyone else's upside on the offense.  Who will be throwing the ball? 

Even with questions at QB I think there is a lot of value here in him as a late round stash with potential to be a Top 8 TE.  Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a lot of "sleeper" articles which will probably drive up his ADP. 

https://www.canalstreetchronicles.com/2021/2/15/22278657/why-adam-trautmans-should-have-a-bigger-role-in-the-saints-offense-next-season

• Like 1

Good tidbits here- liking the run blocking for sure.   I'm curious what NO's passing weapons will look like once the season starts, since there's still so much heavy lifting to do there regarding cap.   Trautman could find himself one of the team's few reliable targets, assuming he proves capable of such a workload.   

Jared Cook* split: Brees vs Hill (week 9-13)

Targets/G Yards/G TD/G
Brees 4,5 42,7 0,55
Hill 2,5 8,5

I'm really happy to have Trautman in my dynasty league, but as stated above the QB change worries me. Maybe with his - also above mentioned - good run blocking he can carve out a role in play action passes. Maybe with Hill and Kamara they could model their offense similar to what the Ravens do.

*I only looked at Cooks targets etc., because Trautmans have been so little they don't seem relevant. But he had his better games with Brees, too.

Well, the price is right. Trautman was a walk-on, as a QB. So he may still be more prospect than finished product. I'll readily admit it's easy to talk up any number of others. Atop the same draft class last year is Cole Kmet & seemingly in a similar situation. I've read that Jimmy Graham's cap hit is $7M & he'll turn 35 during the season. They too (the Bears), have to figure out the QB position. 

In redraft especially, T.J. Hockenson could be more of a value play, Noah Fant, Irv Smith. There's also Logan Thomas & Dallas Goedert. That all said, if George Kittle is a player we can draft in the 3rd rd, I'm all in! Thing is, I think we've done this before & more than once. We keep thinking there's value in the later mid-to-later rounds & then they all just vanish.        

23 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Well, the price is right. Trautman was a walk-on, as a QB. So he may still be more prospect than finished product. I'll readily admit it's easy to talk up any number of others. Atop the same draft class last year is Cole Kmet & seemingly in a similar situation. I've read that Jimmy Graham's cap hit is $7M & he'll turn 35 during the season. They too (the Bears), have to figure out the QB position. 

In redraft especially, T.J. Hockenson could be more of a value play, Noah Fant, Irv Smith. There's also Logan Thomas & Dallas Goedert. That all said, if George Kittle is a player we can draft in the 3rd rd, I'm all in! Thing is, I think we've done this before & more than once. We keep thinking there's value in the later mid-to-later rounds & then they all just vanish.        

Agreed, I would have no problem if someone took Kelce in the first, or Waller in the second, or Kittle in the 3rd but if you do that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a flyer on a guy like Trautman at the end of draft as a backup, prospect..especially in keeper and dynasty leagues. 

No way I would have Trautman as my TE1 going into the season, but depending on how things play out doesn't mean he can't end up being a TE1.  At this point, outside of the few guys mentioned above is there anyone else that is locked into that TE1 discussion? 

Hockenson would probably have been there if Stafford stayed but I think he takes a hit with Goff.  I love Irv Smith if Rudolph is gone, but I don't think he will be. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Jared Cook and Josh Hill cut

Looks to be the Saints TE1 for next year

Wait until the draft is over before making that claim. Free agency hasn’t even begun yet.

19 minutes ago, devaster said:

Wait until the draft is over before making that claim. Free agency hasn’t even begun yet.

Draft is a valid concern but I don't really see the Saints signing much of anyone. They have made major cap cuts are are still more than 61 million over the cap

They gave up quite a bit in last year's draft to move up for Trautman in round 3 too so I think he is well positioned to not have highly drafted competition

That said Taysom Hill is the wild card here

1 hour ago, mocha4313 said:

Jared Cook and Josh Hill cut

Looks to be the Saints TE1 for next year

Yeah this was always happening, in regards to Cook and Hill. They will certainly add a player or 2 at the position, if not through FA--certainly the draft.

They were really pleased with Trautman's play in a limited role, so expanding it feels like a guarantee. He can block better than anyone thought and make plays as a receiver. Very good sleeper heading for early drafters and a guy that could shoot up draft boards by summer. Lots of moving parts in NOLA this year.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, devaster said:

I definitely don't see them bringing in anyone via FA unless it's like a minimum salary type player, they are in salary cap hell.

They could draft someone, but I don't think that it would be until later rounds.  They only have 3 picks in the 2021 draft as it is although I think they are supposed to get some compensation picks for various things.  I honestly think they are pretty comfortable rolling into the season with Trautman as their TE1.  Now he needs to prove he can make it happen.  As someone else mentioned, they gave up a decent amount to move up and get him.  From everything I've read he did nothing to disappoint in 2020.  

All comes down again to whose throwing the ball.  Trautman can be as good as he wants, but if Hill is throwing for 80 yards a game and running for 80 and 3 TDs then it doesn't really matter.  If they somehow resign Winston and let him start then I'd be very bullish on Trautman. 

5 hours ago, devaster said:

It is why they selected him in the 3rd...to be the TE of the future. So I’d agree it’s a pretty good bet that he’ll be the lead TE for the Saints. 

10 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I definitely don't see them bringing in anyone via FA unless it's like a minimum salary type player, they are in salary cap hell.

They could draft someone, but I don't think that it would be until later rounds.  They only have 3 picks in the 2021 draft as it is although I think they are supposed to get some compensation picks for various things.  I honestly think they are pretty comfortable rolling into the season with Trautman as their TE1.  Now he needs to prove he can make it happen.  As someone else mentioned, they gave up a decent amount to move up and get him.  From everything I've read he did nothing to disappoint in 2020.  

All comes down again to whose throwing the ball.  Trautman can be as good as he wants, but if Hill is throwing for 80 yards a game and running for 80 and 3 TDs then it doesn't really matter.  If they somehow resign Winston and let him start then I'd be very bullish on Trautman. 

Every. Single. Year. They are in 'cap hell' according to casual football fans and some in the national media...and every year they find ways out of it. This year is more like 'cap jail' as nobody saw the pandemic shrinking the cap this way. Still, a few cuts, couple creative restructures and an extension or two and they'll be fine.

As far as the draft, they have a 1, 2 and 4th...but they are also projected to get an additional 3rd, 3rd and 5th/6th for compensatory selections.

It is a giant mystery whom the Saints will actually go into the year with, I think if any team pulls off a massive move for Russ or maybe even Watson, it'll be the Saints.

Either way, Hill or Winston can keep things afloat too. Even IF adding weapons, Trautman is looking at a solid increase in targets.

16 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It is a giant mystery whom the Saints will actually go into the year with, I think if any team pulls off a massive move for Russ or maybe even Watson, it'll be the Saints.

This point is very interesting.  What do you think they would give up for him?  I don't see the Seahawks taking a 1, 2, and a couple 3s this year.  Maybe 1, 2, 3 this year and 1 next year and 2 the year after? 

4 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

This point is very interesting.  What do you think they would give up for him?  I don't see the Seahawks taking a 1, 2, and a couple 3s this year.  Maybe 1, 2, 3 this year and 1 next year and 2 the year after? 

It is complicated, because the Hawks seem to value draft picks about as much as the Saints do...which is mostly as collateral/currency. So it would have to involve players. A lock-down CB like Lattimore would certainly appeal to them. Maybe a tackle like Ram or even Armstead. It is quite likely a long-shot, but these teams/front offices are familiar with one another.

• 2 weeks later...

With Brees officially retired it seems like a lot of the rumors are pointing to Winston actually being resigned and being the starter. 

I would say this is a positive thing for Trautman versus Hill being the starter. Winston doesn’t inspire me from a wins/loss perspective but for fantasy we do know he can put up yardage and TDs. 

8 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

With Brees officially retired it seems like a lot of the rumors are pointing to Winston actually being resigned and being the starter. 

I would say this is a positive thing for Trautman versus Hill being the starter. Winston doesn’t inspire me from a wins/loss perspective but for fantasy we do know he can put up yardage and TDs. 

I wouldn’t be too sure about that in light of Hill’s restructure today.

16 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I wouldn’t be too sure about that in light of Hill’s restructure today.

Hills restructure is just for accounting purposes. He’s making the same money this year except now it’s converted to a bonus and spread out to lower his cap number for 2021. It’s completely voidable. 

It looks good on paper but really means nothing more than it already did. 

44 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Hills restructure is just for accounting purposes. He’s making the same money this year except now it’s converted to a bonus and spread out to lower his cap number for 2021. It’s completely voidable. 

It looks good on paper but really means nothing more than it already did. 

Understood - I’m just noting that Hill is currently on the roster with an extension while Jameis is about to enter free agency as of the moment.  

8 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Understood - I’m just noting that Hill is currently on the roster with an extension while Jameis is about to enter free agency as of the moment.  

I mean I’m just going off what I’m hearing from reporters that the saints are going to resign him and make him the starter, Winston that is.  We will see though. 

maybe they weren’t liking what they say from Hill at QB last year? 

I think Winston increases Trautmans value though. 

29 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I mean I’m just going off what I’m hearing from reporters that the saints are going to resign him and make him the starter, Winston that is.  We will see though. 

maybe they weren’t liking what they say from Hill at QB last year? 

I think Winston increases Trautmans value though. 

I agree, time will tell.  Why is it, though, that you view Winston as a better bet for Trautman’s fantasy success?  Is it purely based on Hill’s starting sample from last year or something more?  I’m genuinely curious as I like Trautman a lot as a flier.

16 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I agree, time will tell.  Why is it, though, that you view Winston as a better bet for Trautman’s fantasy success?  Is it purely based on Hill’s starting sample from last year or something more?  I’m genuinely curious as I like Trautman a lot as a flier.

I think Winston is a better passer.  Winston has shown that he isn't afraid to throw the ball and can rack up yards and TDs.  I don't think Hill would have the same type of passing numbers that Winston would.   Now of course Winston is an interception machine and he may not be the best QB for the Saints to win games.  That's up to the coaching staff to decide, but for fantasy purposes...for Saints pass catchers I'd rather have Winston under center. 

• Thanks 2
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Adam Trautman 2021 Outlook