NBC Sports Edge Forums

I'll start this one a bit early this year.  2020 was one of the toughest years I can remember for tight ends.  Kelce and Waller were haves, all season..  Kittle killed many a team with injury, and every other tight end seemed at best hit or miss, with many, many misses.   

Is there hope on the horizon?  I believe that hope is worth chasing    Here's what I am optimistic for in 2021

• Lots of veterans being split up  
    • Everett leaves LA, giving Higbee more snaps and perhaps giving another team a strong TE if he lands in the right place.  
    • I'm guessing the Tampa trio does not all return.  Brate or Howard have a shot at solid production in the right offense, and Gronk back in Tampa might get more snaps now.
    • Ertz seems soon to be traded.   Maybe Ertz is past his prime, but this alone should guarantee Goedert is heavily targeted if nothing else
    • Minnesota has cap issues, maybe it's time to let Rudolph go, and that makes Irv Smith a potential guy to own
  • Rookie TE's are scary, but Kyle Pitts is as hyped as any I can remember.   A rookie fantasy stud?  Maybe, maybe not, but exciting to see where he lands
  • Name dropping a few guys that played really well for the most part and are hopefully firm starters on their teams next year: Hockenson, Gesicki, Logan Thomas
  • Other free agents could be more attractive if they find a good connection- Jonnu Smith is uber talented but usage wasn't always there in Tennessee.    Hunter Henry has potential

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The other team

Delete this thread and start over now that Tebow is in the mix.

Draft Gerrid Doakes as an end of bench stash for team name Surprise Mother Firkser

Something notable regarding free agents or trades-  Jacksonville, NE, and the Jets lead the league in available cap space, and it's easy to argue for all three as being bottom tier in terms of TE talent this past year. Jags having 80 mil to spend and a new rookie QB coming in seem like an obvious fit to chase Jonnu, Henry, or Ertz, for instance

The best value at TE in 2021 will be.... Austin Hooper. You're probably laughing right now, and that just proves my point. 

From week 4 on this is what Hooper did when he played.

5 for 32 and a TD

5 for 57

5 for 52

Played in a torrential rainstorm. Cleveland ran the ball like 45 times. 

Ditto.

2 catches including a TD.

2 catch dud against the Titans.

5 for 41 and a TD

7 for 71

4 for 37 and a TD.

He missed a few games with an injury and played two consecutive horrible weather games. Other than that, he was a 5 for 50 guy with 50/50 shot at getting in the endzone.

That would make him an 80/800/8 guy, over 16 games. Which makes sense because he was 75/787/6 in just 13 games with Atlanta the previous year.

This guy will be drafted as a ho hum TE2 and will almost certainly be a solid middle of the pack TE1. 

On 3/1/2021 at 12:09 AM, BrianM said:

Something notable regarding free agents or trades-  Jacksonville, NE, and the Jets lead the league in available cap space, and it's easy to argue for all three as being bottom tier in terms of TE talent this past year. Jags having 80 mil to spend and a new rookie QB coming in seem like an obvious fit to chase Jonnu, Henry, or Ertz, for instance

Good call:

ESPN's Michael DiRocco said the Jaguars should "be aggressive in pursuing" Hunter Henry this offseason. 

Jacksonville had one of the league's worst tight end groups in 2020. Tyler Eifert is expected to leave via free agency, leaving the team without a viable starting tight end. Henry, 26, should see interest from several teams once free agency kicks off in a couple weeks. If Henry can stay healthy for 16 games -- a big if -- he could be a coveted fantasy option in the Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence-led offense. 

58 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Good call:

ESPN's Michael DiRocco said the Jaguars should "be aggressive in pursuing" Hunter Henry this offseason. 

Jacksonville had one of the league's worst tight end groups in 2020. Tyler Eifert is expected to leave via free agency, leaving the team without a viable starting tight end. Henry, 26, should see interest from several teams once free agency kicks off in a couple weeks. If Henry can stay healthy for 16 games -- a big if -- he could be a coveted fantasy option in the Jaguars' Trevor Lawrence-led offense. 

So then are we all collectively agreeing that Josh Oliver will never be a thing? He's the only TE on the Jags roster right now. They used an early third round pick on him and constantly said good things about him, he's just always been hurt. 

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

So then are we all collectively agreeing that Josh Oliver will never be a thing? He's the only TE on the Jags roster right now. They used an early third round pick on him and constantly said good things about him, he's just always been hurt. 

I think you answered your own question... dude needs to get on the field.

• Like 1

I think my favorite buy low going into next year is David Njoku.  The risk-reward is firmly weighted in the reward direction now.  I don't know exactly where he ends up in free agency, but I don't think any location is going to push him up into the top 10 drafted.  Paired with health and a QB that takes what is given over a gun slinger, he could push for a top 5 finish.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 3:23 PM, JAG said:

I think my favorite buy low going into next year is David Njoku.  The risk-reward is firmly weighted in the reward direction now.  I don't know exactly where he ends up in free agency, but I don't think any location is going to push him up into the top 10 drafted.  Paired with health and a QB that takes what is given over a gun slinger, he could push for a top 5 finish.

Njoku isn't a FA. In fact, he's going to be a $6mil cap hit for Cleveland this year unless they trade him. 

16 hours ago, NInsko said:

My strategy is to wait untill the final few rounds and scoop up 2 low end TE. Higbee smells like money with Stafford and Everett leaving in FA.

I don't think Higbee is going to be a "final few rounds" scoop for anyone. With Everett leaving, he's going to be a very popular TE "sleeper" on every pod and every fantasy website. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken as a top 6-8 TE in most leagues. 

Stock up: Logan Thomas with FitzMagic at QB and Irv Smith with Rudolph gone. Both can probably be had after all the big name guys are gone, and both could return TE1 value in season long games.

Stock down: Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry. Just can't see either one of them returning TE1 value if they are both involved, and in that offense.

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

Stock up: Logan Thomas with FitzMagic at QB and Irv Smith with Rudolph gone. Both can probably be had after all the big name guys are gone, and both could return TE1 value in season long games.

Stock down: Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry. Just can't see either one of them returning TE1 value if they are both involved, and in that offense.

Has Fitz ever used his TE that much? If the WFT adds another WR or two, I'm not sure Fitzy signing in Washington moves the needle much for Thomas. Maybe I'm wrong. 

Love the Irv tout. 

Agree totally on Jonnu and Henry. 

Fitzy's first starting gig in BUF made Scott Chandler a sorta thing, and he used Gesicki at least halfway decently in Miami at times.   I'm definitely in on Thomas. 

Henry and Jonnu absolutely cancel each other out, which kind of sucks, but now we have some open depth charts on other promising teams (Chargers for one) and maybe a guy like Everett can find a good home now.  

I dunno if this is too deep, but the Titans now lose Davis and Jonnu, and their 4th highest targeted guy last season was Firkser.  Maybe he's got a shot at productivity?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't think Higbee is going to be a "final few rounds" scoop for anyone. With Everett leaving, he's going to be a very popular TE "sleeper" on every pod and every fantasy website. I wouldn't be surprised to see him taken as a top 6-8 TE in most leagues. 

Just like last year he was hyped up pretty good and I scooped Higbee and Fant rnd 12 -13. NBD If I don't get him someone else will be available. 

I’m a fan of Irv Smith as a breakout candidate in 2021 with no more Rudolph in town. I also have Anthony Firkser on my list of sleepers as well. No more Jonnu and Tannehill loves to throw to his TEs in the red zone. Titans TEs scored 12 TDs last year.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NInsko said:

Just like last year he was hyped up pretty good and I scooped Higbee and Fant rnd 12 -13. NBD If I don't get him someone else will be available. 

Higbee wasn’t hyped in 2020 like he will be in 2021. But yes, after Kelce, Waller, and Kittle, just throw a dart. Lol. 

• Like 1

From this article "(Free Agency Day Two: Fantasy Fallout") on the main page:

https://www.nbcsports.com/edge/article/free-agency-dose/free-agency-day-two-fantasy-fallout

Chargers Fallout

Burgeoning fantasy football folk legend Donald Parham is -- for now -- presumably atop the Chargers’ tight end depth chart with Henry going to New England. The one-time XFL superstar is an athletic marvel: At 6’8” and 240 pounds, he sports a 94th percentile burst score and a 92nd percentile catch radius. 

Parham dominated would-be defenders on many of his 20 targets in 2020 -- three of which he nabbed for touchdowns. With Henry sidelined in the season’s final two weeks, Parham caught five of seven targets for 84 yards and a score in limited route running. Parham -- for now -- shapes up as an ideal late-round pick who could have a starting role in one of the league’s most productive passing attacks. He comes with touchdown upside, if nothing else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titans re-signed TE Anthony Firkser to a one-year contract. 

Firkser is locked in as the team's No. 1 tight end heading into 2021 after the departure of Jonnu Smith. Tennessee could have retained Firkser with a tender as a restricted free agent, but chose to strike a deal with the underrated tight end. Occasionally operating as the team's top pass-catching tight end in 2020, Firkser saw a career high 53 targets from Ryan Tannehill. He ran 14.5 pass routes per game to Smith's 20 routes per game. The team clearly sees Firkser as a starting caliber player. He could have sneaky utility in 2021 fantasy leagues. 

Mar 17, 2021, 10:56 AM ET
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No respect for Tonyan anywhere.

I know what you would say.

He'S sO tD DePEndENt!!

He is not TD dependent.

TD's are dependent on HIM.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Proteus said:

No respect for Tonyan anywhere.

I know what you would say.

He'S sO tD DePEndENt!!

He is not TD dependent.

TD's are dependent on HIM.

I like him. Slept on him after his first big game last year and another GM snagged him off the WW. Won't make that mistake again. My only concern is if they add another WR (or two), how might that impact his targets. But, he's a definite TE target of mine.

Packers extended a second-round tender to restricted free agent TE Robert Tonyan.

Green Bay now has the right to match any offers that come Tonyan's way or receive a second-round pick as compensation. The 26-year-old's $3.3 million tender almost ensures he sticks with the Packers another year as the two sides move towards a long-term deal. Having already finished second on the team in both red zone (11) and end zone (7) targets last season, Tonyan remains a strong top-eight option at his position given the lack of viable receiving weapons around him.

Mar 16, 2021, 1:08 PM ET
47 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

My strategy is to draft Darren Waller and forget about the position until the bye week.

Great strategy. Last year. This year, he's gonna cost you.

Still, nothing wrong with that strategy. Something to be said for set it and forget it.

At this time, I’m guessing my strategy will be to wait until very late to pick my TE(s). I won’t be able to grab Kelce, Waller, or Kittle, and after those three, the remaining TEs that matter could be put in almost any order. I’ll let my leaguemates spend mid-round picks on a TE while I sit back and wait and get someone who has a chance to be just as productive in the later rounds.