NBC Sports Edge Forums

I quit Stroman a few years ago when he kept getting BABIP'd to death in Toronto with their average defense. If his stuff has gotten better, and he's aiming for more Ks with a better defense....may be time to buy back in. 

20 minutes ago, mtblock said:

I quit Stroman a few years ago when he kept getting BABIP'd to death in Toronto with their average defense. If his stuff has gotten better, and he's aiming for more Ks with a better defense....may be time to buy back in. 

am not super high on Stroman, but I do believe he is very motivated by the dollar. He essentially opted out last year right as he hit his service time requirement. He almost surely would have opted out had it been a normal offseason. If he pitches well, he will be in line for a huge deal and he definitely knows that.

Pros, can log a lot of innings and an above average era

Cons, brutal whip and below average K rate

He's an OK fantasy pitcher but not someone I'm excited about. At least he isn't expensive.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 10:00 AM, fawkes_mulder said:

Pros, can log a lot of innings and an above average era

Cons, brutal whip and below average K rate

He's an OK fantasy pitcher but not someone I'm excited about. At least he isn't expensive.

In a 12-team league, 23 spots - I'd take him as an SP5 if desperate. I'd probably be looking for an SP6 instead of relief help if I went that way. 

• 4 weeks later...

10 reasons to like Marcus Stroman

1) Full year of rest

2) Change to league with pitcher batting

3) Citi Field has sneakily become a huge pitcher's park.  RC was a hitter's park

4) Has James McCann to pitch to, Lindor at SS, excellent defensive players

5)Had a generally nice Spring Training

6)Could learn a thing or 2 from the big D

7 Could have some real nice Offensive Support

8 Developed New Split Changeup which could be a wild card.

9 K rate spiked in brief time in NY last year

10 Generally logs a lot of innings when healthy.

I'll admit I generally ragged on Stro Sho over the years, but at a dirt cheap price, I think he's worth the upside gamble.

Edited by KingJoffrey
On 3/2/2021 at 8:25 PM, Sidearmer said:

am not super high on Stroman, but I do believe he is very motivated by the dollar. He essentially opted out last year right as he hit his service time requirement. He almost surely would have opted out had it been a normal offseason. If he pitches well, he will be in line for a huge deal and he definitely knows that.

I like your optimism, however I do not believe athletes actually "perform better" in search of a bigger contract.  I don't think he can put an extra few miles on his fastball just because he got a contract coming.

8 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

I like your optimism, however I do not believe athletes actually "perform better" in search of a bigger contract.  I don't think he can put an extra few miles on his fastball just because he got a contract coming.

Agreed

How hot/cold are you on week 1 start @ Nats? I am thinking of wait and see....

• 5 weeks later...