NBC Sports Edge Forums

Underwent labrum surgery last September on his right hip and is expected to be ready for 2021.

He batted .232/.276/.535 with 10 home runs over 37 games last season mainly from the 3B position.

Don't see him in the Top 10 3Bs to draft in 2021 but Top 15 yes,

• Like 1

Yep - he's a decent guy to grab post-8th round if things haven't gone as planned at 3B. He's one of the last legit power hitters at the position at that point. In mocks sometimes I don't get him at all if I "wait" to start queueing him in the 8th round. That seems a bit high for me in a 12-team league, as there are other more attractive options imo at other positions. I know if I could get him I'd be happy about it - I do not target him though.

26 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Yep - he's a decent guy to grab post-8th round if things haven't gone as planned at 3B. He's one of the last legit power hitters at the position at that point. In mocks sometimes I don't get him at all if I "wait" to start queueing him in the 8th round. That seems a bit high for me in a 12-team league, as there are other more attractive options imo at other positions. I know if I could get him I'd be happy about it - I do not target him though.

I just wanted to amend the above to say he's more desirable in OPS leagues. AVG is a liability for Chapman.

How much concern is there about that surgery effecting his power early on? Haven’t there been others who have had this surgery that weren’t quite the same the following season? 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How much concern is there about that surgery effecting his power early on? Haven’t there been others who have had this surgery that weren’t quite the same the following season? 

Gotta be some risk, but not sure there is a catch all time period.

he’s essentially free this year anyways, so there should only be profit

Edited by Whitecloud0101
Just now, Whitecloud0101 said:

Gotta be some risk, but not sure there is a catch all time period.

he’s essentially free this year anyways, so not a risk...

Essentially free? How do you define free?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

I took him in rd 15 two days ago

Wow. That’s way later than his current adp. He’s not “essentially free” in most leagues. Discounted, but not free. 

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Buster Posey had a similar surgery and had it at a similar date but in 2018, let's just say a perennial .300 hitter turned in a awful 2019. Not the same type of hitter and he was older but we shall see.

Chapman's teammate, Canha, at the age of 27 had the surgery back in 2016, though his was a bit more crazy because they also shaved down his femur bone in addition to repairing the labrum.

You could argue Canha wasn't back in form in 2017...but since 2018 has def. regain his form to be a solid player.

So I would be suspicious of Chapman this year, in particular the first half of the season.  But he could go .260 with 20HR in the second half of the season so keep an eye out, he could be a nice trade target.

Edited by Hellgrammite
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

I took him in rd 15 two days ago

What size was the league and was it a mock or not?

Fooling around I have done 2 twelve team drafts and in the first one he went 10th round pick 8 and the second one also the 10th round but pick 3. In both cases the manager stuck him into a utility slot.