NBC Sports Edge Forums

Before I start, h/t to @F@ndemoniumfor bringing him to my attention.  

Here's what I said in the deep sleepers thread recently

"Chris Rodriguez SP LAA- If you're a TINSTAPP, Chris Rodriguez is your ideal guy.  High upside, close to the majors, low cost.  Hopefully the version of Vince Velazquez that works.  Some are saying he's the best pitcher that the Angels have after Bundy.  Injury is the big question for him.  I'm a big believer in paying a discount for guys who could be great if healthy and have the injury tag on them."

Here is what has happened so far today

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's either unowned in your dynasty league or probably misvalued. Should be one of the top pitching prospects due to upside and proximity I think.  If he sucks, you'll know soon.  I love someone like Blake Walston, but don't see how someone like this shouldn't be much more valuable.   Worth checking in on the C-Rod owner in dynasty leagues and see if you can get him as a throw in to a bigger trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Brock you’re on point. This is my absolute favorite type of pitching prospect to go in on - inexpensive, high upside, close to the majors. This is how you end up getting in on the ground floor of the deGroms and Clevingers of the world.

If he isn’t great, the opportunity cost is minimal. But this is a good start!

• Like 3

Klaw was always rather high on him (still #6 on his LAA prospects lists this year), his stuff has always been present...he just has 9 professional innings since the end of 2017--mostly because of his back. It is that and to a lesser extent his mechanics, that he probably ends up in the bullpen. Still def a guy I've always liked and one to watch if his health cooperates and they fast track him.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Klaw was always rather high on him (still #6 on his LAA prospects lists this year), his stuff has always been present...he just has 9 professional innings since the end of 2017--mostly because of his back. It is that and to a lesser extent his mechanics, that he probably ends up in the bullpen. Still def a guy I've always liked and one to watch if his health cooperates and they fast track him.

bullpen might be for him, but he has the arsenal to start and the Angels have a pretty weak rotation. He should get the shot if his body can hold up.

I think they'll keep him as a starter for now for obvious reasons(they don't have much of any premium SP in the minors and their rotation is mostly a bunch of quantity over quality).

Yeah, as Brock said it is low...I would say extremely so. Bullpen in the 1st half of the year maybe?

He looks good stuff wise, but was missing spots and got hit pretty solidly yesterday by the Brewers B-squad.

His mechanics are not real pretty either.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Made the OD roster as a reliever.

He has SP designation in Yahoo. I play in a holds league on Yahoo so he could definitely be an asset if he's able to pitch his way into higher leverage. 

Edited by BillyMartinTrailer
13 minutes ago, ThorntonMelon said:

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/angels-chris-rodriguez-seen-as-reliever-long-term/

Have a couple of shares of this guy but the quote from Maddon here is a little concerning for those of us hoping he will get a chance to start this year.  

Someone can start a thread in the main forum if they want. Seems like decent chance he won't start this year, I think that's something they look at in the offseason and stretch him out there, but who knows for sure.  The Angels really dont have a wide array of depth at SP at either the major or minor league level.