NBC Sports Edge Forums

Framber Valdez 2021 Outlook

Took a ground ball off the finger yesterday.  

Fractured left ring finger. Not seeing anything re a timetable yet.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://climbingtalshill.com/2021/04/22/video-framber-valdez-throwing-off-mound/

Could you imagine that split finger!?

Here's the full quote, and why would it not be good news? I really don't get what you're insinuating.  Dusty Baker:”Framber might come in this week (to MMP) to throw a bullpen before he goes out.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Who is the next man up?

Luis Garcia is the next guy up, and he's actually a pretty interesting arm. Borderline plus fastball, a plus slider, and a plus changeup. The only thing really holding him back is his strike throwing. Keep a close eye on him this spring because if he takes a step forward in this area, he could be a real under the radar draft day steal.

Odd injury. He was hit by a comebacker in the middle of his start yesterday. He stayed in and pitched another inning, didn't look like he was in paid. Shocking to find out he pitched another inning in Spring with a broken finger on his throwing hand.

32 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

buying low or even at slight discount wherever I can

Why?  Google says it can take 3-4 months for strength to come back, and people seem to think it’s serious 

1 hour ago, SnellMyFinger said:

Luis Garcia is the next guy up, and he's actually a pretty interesting arm. Borderline plus fastball, a plus slider, and a plus changeup. The only thing really holding him back is his strike throwing. Keep a close eye on him this spring because if he takes a step forward in this area, he could be a real under the radar draft day steal.

Sounds a lot like Framber last year.

4 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Why?  Google says it can take 3-4 months for strength to come back, and people seem to think it’s serious 

because i play keeper and dynasty leagues and he's a great pitcher. he also stayed in the game after this happened and continued to pitch. if he's out 3 months like brett anderson was in 2014, he will be back in early June. Seems worth it to me.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, fawkes_mulder said:

because i play keeper and dynasty leagues and he's a great pitcher. he also stayed in the game after this happened and continued to pitch. if he's out 3 months like brett anderson was in 2014, he will be back in early June. Seems worth it to me.

56 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Eesh.

Hope you didn’t buy at a slight discount.,.

Missing the entire season seems a little extreme. I'd think that, if everything goes well, he could be back in the 2nd half.

How is it possible that you miss a month of ST followed by missing 6 months of the regular season ... for a friggin fractured finger???

• Haha 1
On 3/4/2021 at 9:35 AM, dan said:

Missing the entire season seems a little extreme. I'd think that, if everything goes well, he could be back in the 2nd half.

Yeah seems like a long time for just a fractured finger..

I dont buy it either. He'll be back by the end of may.

My conspiracy brain tells me not to be surprised if this was a ploy by Odorizzi's agents to drum up interest. Heyman has been called out before for being in the pocket of certain agencies. 

31 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

I dont buy it either. He'll be back by the end of may.

My conspiracy brain tells me not to be surprised if this was a ploy by Odorizzi's agents to drum up interest. Heyman has been called out before for being in the pocket of certain agencies. 

So is the ploy that Heyman is tricking the Astros into thinking Framber will be out longer so they sign Odorizzi? Diabolical!

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

So is the ploy that Heyman is tricking the Astros into thinking Framber will be out longer so they sign Odorizzi? Diabolical!

Other teams. Astros look primed to sign odorizzi. Creates urgency 

8 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Astros sign Odorizzi.  Have to think that means Valdez is indeed out most/all of the year.

Bummer.

Except they'll have Valdez AND Verlander missing the first half of the year leaving Grienke, McCullers, Javier and ???

Right, it's the timing though---it is conceivable it's a coincidence (e.g. Odirizzi's price dropped at same time Valdez injury happened) but I think most likely their existing questions become a critical need once Valdez was out for most/all of the year.   Don't think, personally, you make a two-year high dollar signing for a couple months of injury.

10 minutes ago, dan said:

Except they'll have Valdez AND Verlander missing the first half of the year leaving Grienke, McCullers, Javier and ???

Verlander is going to miss more than the first half, right?

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Verlander is going to miss more than the first half, right?

Yep, so the signing seems to be about more than just Valdez.

I don't think anyone argued it is only about Valdez. Obviously, and really so basic that I wouldn't think anyone needs to say it, the fact multiple guys are out matters.  But in a thread about Valdez where the discussion is about how long he will be out, thinking about the implications for Valdez seems like what we are doing.  And in this case, the timing makes VERY clear that it is a sign about Valdez' health.

Finger fractures are no joke. I have sprained fingers and they take forever to heal.

2 hours ago, Whizzinator said:

I don't think anyone argued it is only about Valdez. Obviously, and really so basic that I wouldn't think anyone needs to say it, the fact multiple guys are out matters.  But in a thread about Valdez where the discussion is about how long he will be out, thinking about the implications for Valdez seems like what we are doing.  And in this case, the timing makes VERY clear that it is a sign about Valdez' health.

My point was that the signing shouldn't make anyone assume that Valdez will be out for the entire season. It's way too soon to tell. That's all.