NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Framber Valdez 2021 Outlook

3 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I’ll take Framber over both those guys pretty easily but then again I’m apparently the only one in the thread who isn’t insanely concerned over 2 non elite non calamitous starts 

People might define “calamitous” differently depending on league settings and standing, etc., but I think anyone regardless of league would agree that those past two outings were not what you’re looking for out of a fantasy starting pitcher.

16 hours ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I’ll take Framber over both those guys pretty easily but then again I’m apparently the only one in the thread who isn’t insanely concerned over 2 non elite non calamitous starts 

I would as well (so that makes two of us). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Nah, just facing one of the best offenses against lefties.  Was a seeing eye single away from a QS

thanks, I couldn't watch the game.   Those BB are a concern nonetheless.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BMcP said:

All the Framber apologists exited stage left about three weeks ago

I am still quite high on him.  At the end of the day he still has a 3.01 ERA with a lot of innings and we all expected a 3.5 ERA with a lot of innings, soooo.  Can't complain.  Every pitcher goes through stretches where they struggle.  

Edited by Fbaseballgod

11 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

I am still quite high on him.  At the end of the day he still has a 3.01 ERA with a lot of innings and we all expected a 3.5 ERA with a lot of innings, soooo.  Can't complain.  Every pitcher goes through stretches where they struggle.  

Yes, that’s true - but not all suddenly become substantially worse once not allowed to use sticky stuff. 

This is really really bad at this point

Especially after pretty much leading the league the year before the spin-rate crackdown in spin rate across the board.

Edited by BMcP

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Yes, that’s true - but not all suddenly become substantially worse once not allowed to use sticky stuff. 

This is really really bad at this point.

The thing is, it seems like it's related, but I'm not sure it is.  Afaik there is literally no other pitcher that has had sharp jumps in their walk rate from not using.  And Framber's spin rates aren't too affected.  So I think it could be coincidental - he's always had walk problems in his career.  Regardless, I have confidence in him figuring it out

Just now, Fbaseballgod said:

The thing is, it seems like it's related, but I'm not sure it is.  Afaik there is literally no other pitcher that has had sharp jumps in their walk rate from not using.  And Framber's spin rates aren't too affected.  So I think it could be coincidental - he's always had walk problems in his career.  Regardless, I have confidence in him figuring it out

Just as a knee-jerk reaction, Aroldis comes to mind

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

All the Framber apologists exited stage left about three weeks ago

There are ALOT of pitchers struggling right now, just running out gas, spider tack, whatever you think. My view on Framber ROS hasn't changed that much, he's definitely walking way too many guys and his Ks are shrinking, but I still like the overall situation in Houston and am not looking to jump ship where I have him, not yet anyway. On the whole, you're right, these last few weeks have convinced me once and for all that he's not going to become more than what he is and is outside the top 40, which is a pretty good fantasy pitcher, but at times frustrating to own. I'm pretty unforgiving towards high BB guys with limited K upside, too, so maybe that does make me an apologist of sorts. Career 4.10 FIP a little higher than his career 3.85 ERA but the 1.30 whip is not really helpful. Still, considering he was a cheap flier for a lot of us, he's been a reasonable success, but has predictably regressed to his norms. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

35 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

There are ALOT of pitchers struggling right now, just running out gas, spider tack, whatever you think. My view on Framber ROS hasn't changed that much, he's definitely walking way too many guys and his Ks are shrinking, but I still like the overall situation in Houston and am not looking to jump ship where I have him, not yet anyway. On the whole, you're right, these last few weeks have convinced me once and for all that he's not going to become more than what he is and is outside the top 40, which is a pretty good fantasy pitcher, but at times frustrating to own. I'm pretty unforgiving towards high BB guys with limited K upside, too, so maybe that does make me an apologist of sorts. Career 4.10 FIP a little higher than his career 3.85 ERA but the 1.30 whip is not really helpful. Still, considering he was a cheap flier for a lot of us, he's been a reasonable success, but has predictably regressed to his norms. 

All true - but the timing is too perfect to be a coincidence.  In my humble opinion, Dr.  If you want to acquire him, now would be a great time - it’s entirely possible he will stop allowing tons of hits, tons of walks, and start striking out more than one per inning from here on out.  All is possible.  Right now he is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, collucho said:

Gonna watch his start closely today instead of working and make a decision whether I want him on my roster moving forward. 

Me too. If he gets bombed again tonight I'm probably going to drop him in my 10 team league to activate Severino. 

On 8/1/2021 at 12:20 AM, BMcP said:

All true - but the timing is too perfect to be a coincidence.  In my humble opinion, Dr.  If you want to acquire him, now would be a great time - it’s entirely possible he will stop allowing tons of hits, tons of walks, and start striking out more than one per inning from here on out.  All is possible.  Right now he is terrible.

Absolutely. I own Valdez and can't give him away in a shallow league. If you believe in him I would definitely send a low end trade offer. 

10 minutes ago, B&F said:

So is the conclusion he needs the tack?

Hard to say but some feel that's the case. This season he's only given up more than 4 runs once and that was against OAK when he gave up 5 ERs, they're a good team so that's not unheard of. Then he gave up 4 against CHW which a lot of SPs been there, done that this year against them. The 4 recently to MIN weren't desired results, but will be interesting to see where he goes from here. 

He's been walking more hitters this year than the previous two seasons. Hitters may see the scouting report that his command hasn't been there and probably making him work harder as a result. Certainly things can get ugly fast if he continues to walk 3 or more batters every time out. Not sure I'm overly confident he'll suddenly reduce the walks significantly but if does he could have a solid finish to the season. Today's home start against COL may or may not tell us much. COL will be without Tapia and don't hit as well on the road typically, but if he reduces the walks quite a bit maybe it will be a step in the right direction.