NBC Sports Edge Forums

Framber Valdez 2021 Outlook

15 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

FWIW,  I was listening to ITL podcast and they claimed that his recovery was going "much better than expected."

Still very vague, but awesome to hear.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

starting for Houston this Friday

Inching closer….  

Posted Images

1 hour ago, burty1 said:

Any update on him?  Thoughts in a redraft league?

Completely unscientific take here.... But, he did an IG live today and his finger looked completely fine. No splint, no cast, no swelling. It didn't look like he was injured at all.

2 hours ago, summersoff7 said:

so are we going to have to stash him on our bench for a month or two, is he ever going to get the IL tag (in yahoo)

He'll get the tag after the Astros put him on their IL which will probably happen next week.

Edited by dan
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Astros beat reporter on Valdez just said that the news on him was “very very exciting and very good”

Someone buy that reporter a thesaurus so they can immediately get to work on expanding their mental catalogue of adjectives.  

Edited by Overlord
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, Overlord said:

Someone buy that reporter a thesaurus so they can immediately get to work on expanding their mental catalogue of adjectives.  

That's not how quoting a source works. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Words said:

That's not how quoting a source works. 

A fair point.  Let's see if a source was actually being quoted ...

... engages hamster-powered google drive search algorithm ...

By golly, it looks like we might have been prematurely mocking the reporter when, in fact, it was Brent Strom (Astros pitching coach) who was responsible for this hideous bit of anti-wordsmithing.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Astros beat reporter on Valdez just said that the news on him was “very very exciting and very good”

I swear we've already heard this weeks ago, still no clarity as to his timetable of returning 🤣. Next update they will say he is 'doing awesome' lol

including playoffs last year, 94.2 ip, 102k. 2.87 era, 9.7 k/9, 6.40 innings per start. You won't see many pitchers with those numbers going that deep into games.

Someone like elieser hernandez (who I really, really like by the way), averaged 4.28 innings per start.

Framber is a bona fide stud and should not be on the waiver wire in any leagues.

• Like 3
55 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I swear we've already heard this weeks ago, still no clarity as to his timetable of returning 🤣. Next update they will say he is 'doing awesome' lol

Agreed - the lack of any useful information with respect to a return time frame is really frustrating when evaluating for drafting purposes.

Well he fractured his finger about a month ago and there has been significant healing. I'm no doctor but after a quick google search: image.png.c51680897fb8c2762949cf50b653cea2.png

Now I'm going to venture a guess that the typical time it takes to heal a finger does not take into account repetitive high stress pitching at a major league level so lets say we double it. 

I'm going to say he is ready to go by the end of May. Considering how much of a stud this dude is and the fact that he can most likely be scooped up for free this is a homerun situation for me. 

2 hours ago, collucho said:

Well he fractured his finger about a month ago and there has been significant healing. I'm no doctor but after a quick google search: image.png.c51680897fb8c2762949cf50b653cea2.png

Now I'm going to venture a guess that the typical time it takes to heal a finger does not take into account repetitive high stress pitching at a major league level so lets say we double it. 

I'm going to say he is ready to go by the end of May. Considering how much of a stud this dude is and the fact that he can most likely be scooped up for free this is a homerun situation for me. 

In in a ten team redraft, I got him at pick 152. I figured I would get around 4 months of pitching from him. Before the injury I think he was going before the 10th round usually in drafts, so definitely a bargain.

Anyone heard any updates on Valdez? The news surrounding his recovery has been so vague. It would be nice if we could get a ballpark return date...

6 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Anyone heard any updates on Valdez? The news surrounding his recovery has been so vague. It would be nice if we could get a ballpark return date...

Other than his prognosis was super duper awesome from a week ago, nothing new.

• Haha 3

Here we go from Rotoworld!:

Framber Valdez (finger) has resumed a throwing program.

It's only on flat ground for now, but the news is encouraging given the early reports that Valdez might be done for much of the year. He suffered a fractured left right finger back in early March and there's still no exact timetable for his 2021 regular season debut. Look for a better estimate once he clears a few more hurdles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Here we go from Rotoworld!:

Framber Valdez (finger) has resumed a throwing program.

It's only on flat ground for now, but the news is encouraging given the early reports that Valdez might be done for much of the year. He suffered a fractured left right finger back in early March and there's still no exact timetable for his 2021 regular season debut. Look for a better estimate once he clears a few more hurdles.

His "left right" finger?  Jeez, the doctors surgically put his fingers on the wrong hands!  I'd expect he'll be out for a while in that case.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

Anyone picking up and stashing on IL?

He should be more owned than he is IMO. I would stash him if I had the space FWIW. 

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

His "left right" finger?  Jeez, the doctors surgically put his fingers on the wrong hands!  I'd expect he'll be out for a while in that case.

Could you imagine that split finger!?

• Haha 4
59 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

He should be more owned than he is IMO. I would stash him if I had the space FWIW. 

...make the space. Dude’s upside is as high as sp1, he was shutting down lineups in the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...