NBC Sports EDGE Forums

9th pick.... rank these 4 players

This is an obp league

I have the 9th pick in 10 team league. These are 4 of the likely players that will drop to me: Christian Yelich, Freddie Freeman, Jose Ramirez, Trevor Story.

How would you rank them in order?

I'd be sure to get Freeman if you need a 1B.  Be elite at scarce positions and then don't have to think about free agents during the year.  Second I'd probably take Ramirez due to 3B being more scarce than the others.  There are 10-12 very good SS that you can probably get the last of in the 60-100 range (if you include Carlos Correa, Javier Baez).  

2 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I'd be sure to get Freeman if you need a 1B.  Be elite at scarce positions and then don't have to think about free agents during the year.  Second I'd probably take Ramirez due to 3B being more scarce than the others.  There are 10-12 very good SS that you can probably get the last of in the 60-100 range (if you include Carlos Correa, Javier Baez).  

Actually the first part is not true. You should always go for the best values and unless your league doesn’t allow it, streaming hitters is very effective. 

That said, I would go for Freeman or Jose Ramirez here, followed by Yelich and finally Story.

12 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Actually the first part is not true. You should always go for the best values and unless your league doesn’t allow it, streaming hitters is very effective. 

That said, I would go for Freeman or Jose Ramirez here, followed by Yelich and finally Story.

Many people who are successful have different strategies, so you can't say one way is wrong and one is right.  I can only argue for my beliefs that have worked for me, while you may disagree because you have had success with the opposite, or maybe you failed doing what I'm saying.  I see 1B or 2B, where there's a couple elite players, as a place to try and be elite, because you probably won't a great 2B on the free agency.  Kind of like TE in Fantasy Football.  If you have Kelce last year you won, Kittle or Waller, maybe 5 guys max, otherwise it's a wasteland.  I love to have a set it and forget it player at shallow positions and I can find gems on the waiver wire/fa for more plentiful positions such as OF or picking up one of the 15 new closers that will pop up each year.  If it was between Soto and Bellinger or something where you have 10+ ADP difference, ok go with the best player.  But if it's Freeman vs Yelich who are within a few spots, I'd always take the shallow position.