NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Castillo 2021 Outlook

1 hour ago, Dylanfan66 said:

He has not been good for a few years. Streamer at best.  Even then it's a risk.

it would literally take 5 seconds to google "luis castillo fangraphs" or "luis castillo baseball reference" to see that you're full of s***.

2019 and 2020 were his best years too...

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/luis-castillo/15689/stats?position=P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dylanfan66 said:

He has not been good for a few years. Streamer at best.  Even then it's a risk.

What are you talking about?  He has only been in the majors a few years and has been an ace up until now. 

And that is what is making this all slightly alarming to owners.  He is a slow starter but hopefully not this slow.

Anyone watch him pitch this year? Could mechanics be the problem or is there some other underlying issue? Been an ace for a few years, so even though he is known to be a bit of a slow starter, this seems really odd. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DarinB300 said:

Anyone watch him pitch this year? Could mechanics be the problem or is there some other underlying issue? Been an ace for a few years, so even though he is known to be a bit of a slow starter, this seems really odd. 

He will be fine. His last start he is finally getting his velocity back to last year. Hitting 97 mph. Buy now before it is too late.

• Thanks 1

It seems that way. Some people in shallow redraft leagues may want to move on. I'm holding for now, mostly because there isn't a better option available in my league. If he can't rediscover his changeup, which had been his out pitch, the ace version of Castillo is not coming back. 

9 hours ago, bradwatson said:

So this guy just sucks now huh?

Did a jetstream relocate over GABP?  The park factor is ludicrous (against pitchers) and the home run factor even more preposterous (something like twice the normal rate).

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

People jumping ship on him now are definitely going to regret it later. This man is a bona fide ACE and he will figure it out in the next couple of weeks to return to his ACE status.

Edited by nittanychris
  • Like 4

I'll never forget how in June 2004 Johan Santana was considered a lost cause, sporting a 5.50 ERA and 1.44 WHIP after 12 starts dating thru June 8. There seemed no signs of a turnaround as Johan's K-rate was down significantly, having only struck out 61 batters across 69 IP.

I bought low and it paid off big time. By season's end, Johan was the AL Cy Young, having lowered his ERA from 5.50 to 2.61 and WHIP from 1.44 to 0.92. From June 9 thru season's end, Johan delivered 12 double-digit strikeout performances and struck out 204 batters across his final 159 IP.

We know what Luis Castillo is: A Top-15 SP with the track record of a Top-15 SP. His slow start to the season is your chance to buy low. If you're in a league where Castillo is available, I'd pounce.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, papaphunk said:

[...] 

Sitting on my bench for the near future, hope he can turn things around. 

Benching him is the right call. It’s the people who are dropping him or selling him for pennies on the dollar that I want in my league.

• Like 1

Great game tonight. Looks like he's finally turning a corner!

Oh wait sorry, I was looking at pretty much every other pitchers statline besides this turd rocket's. 

• Haha 1

He has been horrible. But I’m still not dropping. If he isn’t injured and he hasn’t gone full Rick Ankiel then it just isn’t reasonable to conclude that he lost it out of nowhere.

Keep him in your bench. Actually, maybe start him against SF next time

• Haha 1