NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts indicated Wednesday that Gavin Lux could potentially play against right-handers and left-handers this season.

"I see him getting a good runway, playing regularly," Roberts said. "What that means, I think that there’s room for conversations. But him against a lefty, I don’t think we’re too concerned about that." Roberts isn't exactly rubber stamping Lux as the team's everyday second baseman here, but the words are encouraging nonetheless. Utility player Chris Taylor is still surely going to see plenty of starts at second base and could ultimately see the lion's share of at-bats there versus lefties. It sure sounds as if Lux is at the forefront of the manager's mind right now, though, which didn't seem to be the case last season.

So it looks like Lux is going to get the chance to run with the 2B job.  I know the potential is through the roof and he's having a pretty nice spring so far.  ZiPS also likes him, projecting .249 24/76/89/9 in 132 games.  The other projection systems aren't so bullish on the playing time.  His ADP is 246 so if you wait on MI he could be someone to consider.  What say you guys and gals?

Edited by damana
  • Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seriously doubt it.  That sounds like how people here in New England screamed for Bell to replace that lousy Pedroia when Peddy first came up.  You HAVE to let your young future stars play ever

He has had a start similar to Dustin Pedroia's where Pedroia couldn't hit anything with a bat for nearly a month or two but Tito stuck with him and let him play regularly while the Boston fans and pre

Sometimes guys take a little while to figure it out.   Hopefully this is one of those times.  I mean, this guy has been an uber prospect for years now.  Somehow I suspect that if his bat had run

I was actually contemplating posting about him yesterday.  I don't play in any redraft this year, mostly dynasty, but he sure seems like a buy low in dynasty if possible.  I'm not saying he's going to have a Kyler Tucker 2020 year here, but he's in the exact same position as Kyle Tucker was last year.  Top 10 prospect, jerked around the roster because of major league depth, passed rookie eligibility and not on prospect lists anymore. 

Don't know if he plays vs lefties, but Dodgers sure want him to be their every day 2b

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

I assume he will be available in the final rounds, maybe even go undrafted in my league. I am 50/50 if I take the plunge on him. I probably grab the potential he offers over the floor of Justin Turner, another one who seems to be available at the tail end of drafts.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I was actually contemplating posting about him yesterday.  I don't play in any redraft this year, mostly dynasty, but he sure seems like a buy low in dynasty if possible.  I'm not saying he's going to have a Kyler Tucker 2020 year here, but he's in the exact same position as Kyle Tucker was last year.  Top 10 prospect, jerked around the roster because of major league depth, passed rookie eligibility and not on prospect lists anymore. 

Don't know if he plays vs lefties, but Dodgers sure want him to be their every day 2b

Well he was taken long ago in most dynasties.  Not a buy low.  Not based on the big offers I've turned down for him constantly.  But perhaps in casual redrafts where owners don't realize his all-star potential he can be had for cheap.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well he was taken long ago in most dynasties.  Not a buy low.  Not based on the big offers I've turned down for him constantly.  But perhaps in casual redrafts where owners don't realize his all-star potential he can be had for cheap.

Obviously he's owned in dynasty. His value is certainly lower than it was a year ago. If you have him and youre not selling low, that's good. No idea what big offers you've turned down but i don't think it's crazy to trade him away, I just wouldnt sell low. He should be valued as a top 10 or so prospect whose ready. 

I would think his value in a dynasty league would be far greater than in a redraft league. Folks in redraft leagues might not be quick to drafting him, not because they aren't aware of his potential, but because they just don't believe he reaches it in 2021.

12 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I would think his value in a dynasty league would be far greater than in a redraft league. Folks in redraft leagues might not be quick to drafting him, not because they aren't aware of his potential, but because they just don't believe he reaches it in 2021.

Yeah that's all fair.  His ADP well after 200 is ripe for profit, and he's in a spot where if he completely tanks it wont hurt you and many picks around that area will tank.  I just think some shine has worn off him since early 2019 when he was must have. It's only natural.  Most players who fail in the majors for 1-2 years are discounted then before they made they made the majors when there's ton of excitement.  

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Overlord said:

I honestly don't understand why this guy hasn't broken out already.  He seemed like a "can't miss" to me back in 2019 ... kind of still does ...

Didn't get enough at bats either season, last season was weird, Dodgers have a lot of depth so if you're not producing right away, step aside. 

I definitely will be targeting this guy in my leagues.  I would not wait until his ADP as I think he will go rounds earlier based on his upside alone.  The kid raked at every level in the minors.

I'd guess he will be the everyday 2B over Chris Taylor. Taylor probably better suited to be a super utility guy to play around the field for all the guys Dodgers give rest days to.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:23 PM, damana said:

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts indicated Wednesday that Gavin Lux could potentially play against right-handers and left-handers this season.

"I see him getting a good runway, playing regularly," Roberts said. "What that means, I think that there’s room for conversations. But him against a lefty, I don’t think we’re too concerned about that." Roberts isn't exactly rubber stamping Lux as the team's everyday second baseman here, but the words are encouraging nonetheless. Utility player Chris Taylor is still surely going to see plenty of starts at second base and could ultimately see the lion's share of at-bats there versus lefties. It sure sounds as if Lux is at the forefront of the manager's mind right now, though, which didn't seem to be the case last season.

So it looks like Lux is going to get the chance to run with the 2B job.  I know the potential is through the roof and he's having a pretty nice spring so far.  ZiPS also likes him, projecting .249 24/76/89/9 in 132 games.  The other projection systems aren't so bullish on the playing time.  His ADP is 246 so if you wait on MI he could be someone to consider.  What say you guys and gals?

In 2017 Dave Roberts also said that Cody Bellinger was "definitely" going to be sent back down to the minors when Adrian Gonzalez came of the the IL. Dave Roberts says a lot of things. 

7 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

In 2017 Dave Roberts also said that Cody Bellinger was "definitely" going to be sent back down to the minors when Adrian Gonzalez came of the the IL. Dave Roberts says a lot of things. 

He played in 7 of 13 Spring games so far so that's a good sign.  He was also a first round draft pick that crushed the minors.  I'm sure the Dodgers at least wanna see what they have in him before they write him off.  I think if he hits he sticks.  Not a bad idea to have a backup plan though.

38 minutes ago, damana said:

He played in 7 of 13 Spring games so far so that's a good sign.  He was also a first round draft pick that crushed the minors.  I'm sure the Dodgers at least wanna see what they have in him before they write him off.  I think if he hits he sticks.  Not a bad idea to have a backup plan though.

I get it, I just think that as long as Taylor's around it's going to muddy the waters and leave very little margin for error (on Lux's part). Definitely worth a back end of the draft flyer, but I'm not expecting regular playing time. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched Lux take Heaney (leftie) opposite field well over the wall. 

Maybe he was irritated at being slotted ninth in the lineup.  I know I am, and I'm really hoping that isn't a harbinger of what's to come in the regular season. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

So is this the real Lux or is it just the 3 day Coors effect? 

He has the pedigree to back this up, so wouldn’t be surprised if he’s for real.  The dodgers didn’t really give him a runway to get comfortable last year (understandable, given the short season and their championship expectations).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

So is this the real Lux or is it just the 3 day Coors effect? 

He was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball so yeah he is for real.  And today he is being "flexed" even and given a start at short.  This bodes well for insuring he will be in the lineup pretty much all the time except for the modern day "day of rest" crap they use on all players on all teams now.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He was a top 5 prospect in all of baseball so yeah he is for real.  And today he is being "flexed" even and given a start at short.  This bodes well for insuring he will be in the lineup pretty much all the time except for the modern day "day of rest" crap they use on all players on all teams now.

F*cking fantastic, is he hitting 2nd?

2 minutes ago, rrrich46 said:

F*cking fantastic, is he hitting 2nd?

No, back at 7th but I don't care where he hits.  LA flips through their line-ups a lot with those hitters.  Dodgers 7th is better than Pirates 1st for AB's.  And their lineups are fluid and can change on a daily basis.  I mean he batted lead-off last night.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1