NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I seriously doubt it.  That sounds like how people here in New England screamed for Bell to replace that lousy Pedroia when Peddy first came up.  You HAVE to let your young future stars play ever

He has had a start similar to Dustin Pedroia's where Pedroia couldn't hit anything with a bat for nearly a month or two but Tito stuck with him and let him play regularly while the Boston fans and pre

With the emergence of Babe McKinstry this guy is going to be collecting splinters in the near future. 

33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No, back at 7th but I don't care where he hits.  LA flips through their line-ups a lot with those hitters.  Dodgers 7th is better than Pirates 1st for AB's.  And their lineups are fluid and can change on a daily basis.  I mean he batted lead-off last night.

Bingo. Give him 500+ PA in that lineup and watch out.

32 minutes ago, cpdaly said:

He led off last night.  He’s going to bounce around the lineup but I think he will get plenty of AB’s in the 1 and 2 spots this year.

Gavin Lux at leadoff ... you love to see it.

22 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Is anyone even holding at this point? [...]

I'm still holding. The PT is still there (Although that may be a product of the Bellinger injury) so hopefully he gets it going.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, meh2 said:

With the emergence of Babe McKinstry this guy is going to be collecting splinters in the near future. 

I seriously doubt it.  That sounds like how people here in New England screamed for Bell to replace that lousy Pedroia when Peddy first came up. 

You HAVE to let your young future stars play everyday to not only get them ABs but also show confidence in them.  Sitting some young player because he isn't hitting up to projections out of the gate is the worst thing you can do.  Players are NOT robotss you can just manipulate according to stats.  They have emotions and feelings that can send them into a tailspin or make them overcome hurdles and a manager has to gear those up too or he isn't a good manager.

Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.  You want Lux going full blast for the playoffs and beyond.  The Dodgers aren't losing game after game because of Lux either.  Makes zero sense to take him out and basically try and destroy him for the years and years ahead.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I seriously doubt it.  That sounds like how people here in New England screamed for Bell to replace that lousy Pedroia when Peddy first came up. 

You HAVE to let your young future stars play everyday to not only get them ABs but also show confidence in them.  Sitting some young player because he isn't hitting up to projections out of the gate is the worst thing you can do.  Players are NOT robotss you can just manipulate according to stats.  They have emotions and feelings that can send them into a tailspin or make them overcome hurdles and a manager has to gear those up too or he isn't a good manager.

Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.  You want Lux going full blast for the playoffs and beyond.  The Dodgers aren't losing game after game because of Lux either.  Makes zero sense to take him out and basically try and destroy him for the years and years ahead.

Agreed, the Dodgers are cruising along just fine despite Lux's struggles. They can afford to give him a fair opportunity.

Edited by colorado2013
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You’re right, the Dodgers are in a great position to still give him playing time, but what if he’s still struggling in May? I think it would make sense for them to send him down to the minors to let him develop without the added pressure of failing in the bigs. He’s shown zero ability to hit lefthanders (in an admittedly small sample) so why not let him try to work on that in the minors instead of relegating him to a platoon role this early in his career. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him get sent down in early May when the triple-A season starts up if he’s still struggling. They’ve already shown they’re not afraid of demoting him in the past if he’s struggling since why would this year be any different especially when they look like they may have found a very capable replacement in McKinstry.

12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I think it would make sense for them to send him down to the minors to let him develop without the added pressure of failing in the bigs.

There’s no minor league games happening right now. And hitting minor league pitching does nothing for him; he’s mashed every level of the minor leagues. He needs reps against the best pitchers in the world. The talent is there, I’m confident he’ll figure it out. The Dodgers would be doing a disservice not giving him the opportunity to. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

There’s no minor league games happening right now. And hitting minor league pitching does nothing for him; he’s mashed every level of the minor leagues. He needs reps against the best pitchers in the world. The talent is there, I’m confident he’ll figure it out. The Dodgers would be doing a disservice not giving him the opportunity to. 

17 minutes ago, meh2 said:

You’re right, the Dodgers are in a great position to still give him playing time, but what if he’s still struggling in May? I think it would make sense for them to send him down to the minors to let him develop without the added pressure of failing in the bigs. He’s shown zero ability to hit lefthanders (in an admittedly small sample) so why not let him try to work on that in the minors instead of relegating him to a platoon role this early in his career. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him get sent down in early May when the triple-A season starts up if he’s still struggling. They’ve already shown they’re not afraid of demoting him in the past if he’s struggling since why would this year be any different especially when they look like they may have found a very capable replacement in McKinstry.

For the record, I have redraft shares of Lux and hope he tears it up, but I also don’t think he has some super-long leash like some of you seam to think. 3 or 4 more weeks of struggling and he might be sent down. 

21 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'm not saying Mckinstry wil be better than Lux long term, but it's possible, and Mckinstry's hot streak is certainly a hinderence to Lux much like Yermin is to Vaughn. 

true, but smart money is still on Vaughn and Lux over Yermin and McKinley.

Be patient boys

1 hour ago, 5catstud said:

true, but smart money is still on Vaughn and Lux over Yermin and McKinley.

there is no smart money on these things, they are prospects.  Of course the two guys ranked higher are expected to be better, but these aren't bettable outcomes, and if they were, you could probably get better odds on  yermin and mckinstry and the smart money would be on them.  

I certainly wouldn't panic sell either higher ranked prospect, but their value for this year is probably taking somewhat of a hit.

53 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

It's been 10-12 games. Let's not overreact.

I'm not overreacting and suddenly think Lux is going to be bad or anything, but Mckinstry and Yermin Mercedes were regarded prospects in their own right. Mckinstry didn't come out of nowhere this year.  These aren't Aquino types.

You know who else was high on Zach Mckinstry..... Gavin Lux

https://dodgerblue.com/gavin-lux-praise-dodgers-prospect-zach-mckinstry-he-can-do-it-all/2020/01/12/

"“Stud. He’s a gamer, man. I mean, he played everywhere. He played center field, shortstop, second, third. I think the only spot he probably didn’t play was catcher. But he can hit, man. He can do it all. … I love him. He’s a great dude, too. He can really play.”"

-Gavin Lux on Zach Mckinstry January 2020.

• Like 2