NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gavin Lux 2021 Outlook

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any realistic scenario that leaves Lux in a platoon again at any point for the Dodgers? In a world in which they have everyone healthy, you would still figure to see him and Chris Taylor in the lineup every day. The lineup they're currently fielding is relying on guys like Beaty and Pujols and McKinstry and Raley, so its a bizarre situation because in a week they could get Bellinger and Seager back and suddenly be running out their best lineups, leaving a little squeeze on Lux and Taylor. Lux certainly would be moving into the lower 3rd of the order at that point. Still he seems a lock for 450-500 ABs and that offense feels like it has yet to scratch the surface, and maybe the same for Lux too.

2 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Is there any realistic scenario that leaves Lux in a platoon again at any point for the Dodgers? In a world in which they have everyone healthy, you would still figure to see him and Chris Taylor in the lineup every day. The lineup they're currently fielding is relying on guys like Beaty and Pujols and McKinstry and Raley, so its a bizarre situation because in a week they could get Bellinger and Seager back and suddenly be running out their best lineups, leaving a little squeeze on Lux and Taylor. Lux certainly would be moving into the lower 3rd of the order at that point. Still he seems a lock for 450-500 ABs and that offense feels like it has yet to scratch the surface, and maybe the same for Lux too.

I was thinking that Pollock is the odd man out when/if everyone is healthy. Taylor/Bellinger/Betts in the OF with Muncy/Lux/Seager/Turner infield. And then they're back to having a very strong bench as well with McKinstry, Pollock, Beaty, etc, and Pujols straggling around too. Pollock hasn't been bad, but Taylor has been very good. I'm sure they'll mix and match a lot as usual. 

14 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I was thinking that Pollock is the odd man out when/if everyone is healthy. Taylor/Bellinger/Betts in the OF with Muncy/Lux/Seager/Turner infield. And then they're back to having a very strong bench as well with McKinstry, Pollock, Beaty, etc, and Pujols straggling around too. Pollock hasn't been bad, but Taylor has been very good. I'm sure they'll mix and match a lot as usual. 

It always seems like the Dodgers seemingly try to fit everyone into the lineup in some capacity.  If everyone at some point is healthy, and that's a big if for this team this year the way things are going, I'd imagine we'll get one of those "frustrating for fantasy owners" situations where a guy plays a couple of games, then sits, then plays, sits, etc.    Taylor would be that swiss army knife that gives guys a rest all over the field.  

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

In a world in which they have everyone healthy...

Starting in roughly late 2019, I simply began assuming that such scenarios will exist for modern MLB franchises rather infrequently.

Lux seems like someone a franchise is going to want to play every day as, ultimately, he's projected as a cost-controlled future mainstay of their infield.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Overlord said:

Starting in roughly late 2019, I simply began assuming that such scenarios will exist for modern MLB franchises rather infrequently.

You say it jokingly but its really quite true, and basically what I was getting at. They're in a dogfight with San Diego and seem to have no real urgency to put their best team on the field, so assuming teams with any depth (and the Dodgers have been ahead of the pace for awhile) will mix and match year 'round is the new normal indeed.

2 minutes ago, Overlord said:

I wasn't joking ... though with me, it's often hard to tell.  And that's by design.

Palps - what a joker!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 12:37 PM, collucho said:

Fantasy outlook not looking great for this guy with all of the guys the Dodgers are getting back and his recent struggles.

I kind of posed this question a few weeks ago, that once the Dodgers got healthy and decided to stop screwing around and win the division he'd be squeezed for PT. But I agree with others who pointed out that he'll still get his fair share of reps, and as a MI on a premier team like the Dodgers, he should still have some decent value. I doubt there are many managers who could just add someone as good as Jonathan India or Jorge Polanco, for example, and I'm not sure I'd swap Lux for Tony Kemp right now. Still, you might be tempted, since Kemp is hitting higher in the order and providing more speed and similar power.

Edited by Richard Kimble

Please give me a reason to hold a bit longer. If you weren’t a 2b and playing for the dodgers you’d be gone by now. I think this month is make or break for me personally. Can’t afford more unusable bench spots with all the injuries piling up.

42 minutes ago, Brujan said:

Please give me a reason to hold a bit longer. If you weren’t a 2b and playing for the dodgers you’d be gone by now. I think this month is make or break for me personally. Can’t afford more unusable bench spots with all the injuries piling up.

It's def rough right now, and basically just hoping his talent shines through. I think it's all mental for him when he's struggling. The talent is legit and he showed it in May with a 131 wRC+, but this month he's fell off completely. At least in June he carried his highest walk rate of any month thus far, and the K rate was in line with what I'd expect based off his minors numbers. I just can't give up on a guy that had 26HR/10SB with a great slash line in 113 games between AA/AAA as a 21 year old. Hopefully the ASB gives him time to clear his head and get going, because a trip back to AAA isn't out of the question. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Demoted today, and its been a rough season for him, with injury, and being unable to carve out any real shot at PT, you have to wonder where his stock is at in dynasty formats for next season? The arrival of Turner means that even if the Dodgers let Corey Seager walk and don't add another big name, that Lux is not going to be handed the keys to a starting 2B job next year. I can't imagine he's going to be much of a target in re-drafts next year, but he has to have a more prominent role in his future, surely?

• 3 weeks later...

3 games in a row starting in LF.   Seems to be seeing the ball better this time around.  1st game back was 0/2 with a walk, yesterday 2/2 and today has started off 2/2 as well.  Any thoughts on him as we close out the season and start thinking about hi for 2022?

1 hour ago, svdude said:

3 games in a row starting in LF.   Seems to be seeing the ball better this time around.  1st game back was 0/2 with a walk, yesterday 2/2 and today has started off 2/2 as well.  Any thoughts on him as we close out the season and start thinking about hi for 2022?

I'm thinking he is 2B,SS,LF next year in Yahoo and probably other platforms as well.  Nice for us dynasty owners.