NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Domingo German 2021 Outlook

Could be a real nice sleeper.   You know the run support is going to be there.  His K rate is always pretty good.  His WHIP was impressive.  What kills him are all the HRs.  But I say this is going to correct a little.  Even if his ERA is around 4.00, with the wins and K's you turn a nice profit.  Don't overlook.

• Like 2

Not that I do not want him to succeed, but name the last Yankee pitching prospect that turned into a number 1 or 2 SP? 

Answer:  You have to go back to Andy Pettitte in 1995.  The Yankees have not developed a number 1 or 2 in 25+ years (Severino, Montgomery, German and Garcia still TBD).  You can look at it 2 ways, namely they have no clue how to do so or they are WAY over due.  More than likely one of these guys steps up imo, but which one and when is anyone's guess.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

Not that I do not want him to succeed, but name the last Yankee pitching prospect that turned into a number 1 or 2 SP? 

Answer:  You have to go back to Andy Pettitte in 1995.  The Yankees have not developed a number 1 or 2 in 25+ years (Severino, Montgomery, German and Garcia still TBD).  You can look at it 2 ways, namely they have no clue how to do so or they are WAY over due.  More than likely one of these guys steps up imo, but which one and when is anyone's guess.

I don't think anyone is looking for German to develop into a no1-2 SP, especially not this year. He's just looked at as a sleeper right now who might be a decent guy to fill in the back of a starting staff. 

9 hours ago, secretagentman said:

I think Severino in 2017-18 was a number 1 SP for NYY.  33-14 over those 2 seasons with 450 Ks and top notch ratios.

Whether or not he can get back to his former stuff is TBD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Looked absolutely electric again today against a (mostly) regular Phillies lineup.

Well that blows....

...for those hoping he can stay under the radar until after we draft.

• 4 weeks later...

(6 mins ago) German was optioned to the Yankees' alternate training site Saturday.

German was charged with his second loss of the season Saturday as he allowed four runs on eight hits and one walk while striking out five in four innings against the Rays. The Yankees aren't in need of a fifth starter in the near future since they have two upcoming days off, so German will get to work on things at the team's alternate camp following an underwhelming start to the 2021 campaign.

Plan accordingly.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Deivi Garcia time?

Probably not - he might’ve been sent down anyway as they don’t need a fifth starter for a while.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Potential two start week coming off two solid performances against lackluster offenses. Houston Tuesday, Washington Sunday. He turns in a good outing on Tuesday against the Astros and I don't think he's going to be available in many leagues moving forward. 

I picked him up and will be holding to see how he does this week.  If he is sitting on your wire a preemptive pick up might not be a bad idea.  

Looking back at his numbers I forgot that he had such a good whip (1.15 I believe) in 2019.  His problems have been with the long ball.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

so is he a locked in sp2 ROS? wins will be there. sub 1.2 whip looks very possible with improved bb rate (8 bb in 8 starts)

any update rank or projections on him ROS? [...]

ya, ppl in this thread who bailed early lost out.

he looks like first half 2019 German who was pitching to a 3 era outside of 1 or 2 bad starts vs boston.  As you said, hes gonna get wins and basically a k an inning with respectable ERA/Whip.

plus i watch a lot of yanks.  velocity touching 96 and lots of movment with the 2 seam at 93+....def passes eye test

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2021 at 11:20 PM, Daytraders2019 said:

He pitched well today. Well enough for a bump after 2 months.. (tumbleweed)

Rumors swirling that his agent is looking for housing in Colorado as he is supposedly a piece in the talks for Trevor Story. 

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Rumors swirling that his agent is looking for housing in Colorado as he is supposedly a piece in the talks for Trevor Story. 

yanks arent getting story., plus they cant really afford to lose a controllable SP