Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

A better points league guy than roto for sure. I kind of like him in points. Low K's, takes some walks, and lots of doubles. Unlikely to get to 20 HR or SB. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Alex Verdugo 2021 Outlook

A favorite of mine.Hoping for .300+,85,85,20,20.Always nagging injuries but if not this year,I think those type #'s are coming.He won't get cheaper if you're trying to get him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PhilFan said:

A favorite of mine.Hoping for .300+,85,85,20,20.Always nagging injuries but if not this year,I think those type #'s are coming.He won't get cheaper if you're trying to get him.

 

8 SB in 211 MLB games

44 SB in 516 Minor League games with 25 being in A ball or lower and 27 being in AA ball or lower.

17 SB in 208 AAA games.

What you are hoping for in 4 categories are attainable but those SB's are more praying to the heavens rather then hoping imo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, turner46 said:

 

8 SB in 211 MLB games

44 SB in 516 Minor League games with 25 being in A ball or lower and 27 being in AA ball or lower.

17 SB in 208 AAA games.

What you are hoping for in 4 categories are attainable but those SB's are more praying to the heavens rather then hoping imo.

Steals depends a  lot of the team and especially the manager.  Alex Cora likes his guys to be aggressive and run and they almost always have the green light.  Verdugo will steal more this year than in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PhilFan said:

A favorite of mine.Hoping for .300+,85,85,20,20.Always nagging injuries but if not this year,I think those type #'s are coming.He won't get cheaper if you're trying to get him.

I have him on my list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In a keeper/H2H format I'm attempting to trade higher end keepers for an upgrade at other spots in order to keep him as my third outfielder.

While he's going to be playing on a bad team, this kid is ripe to be a huge fantasy helper across many cats - one of my "sleepers" this year where you can get him rather cheaply.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

In a keeper/H2H format I'm attempting to trade higher end keepers for an upgrade at other spots in order to keep him as my third outfielder.

While he's going to be playing on a bad team, this kid is ripe to be a huge fantasy helper across many cats - one of my "sleepers" this year where you can get him rather cheaply.

Bad team?  Lol.  Sure the pitching is poor during the rebuild but the line-up is just fine, thank you.  In fact well above average and for fantasy purposes you are only interested in the hitting if you own a hitter; not the pitching.  Verdugo, JD, Xander, Devers, Dalbec, Vasquez and perhaps soon Jarran Duran and Jeter Downs.  That leaves only one corner outfield position subpar between Franchy and Renfroe once the two call-ups happen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Bad team?  Lol.  Sure the pitching is poor during the rebuild but the line-up is just fine, thank you.  In fact well above average and for fantasy purposes you are only interested in the hitting if you own a hitter; not the pitching.  Verdugo, JD, Xander, Devers, Dalbec, Vasquez and perhaps soon Jarran Duran and Jeter Downs.  That leaves only one corner outfield position subpar between Franchy and Renfroe once the two call-ups happen.

I kind of like Franchy too if he can stay healthy (big if).  He hits the ball really hard. Might have figured out how to avoid striking out so much too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Verdugo feels  A LOT like early career Nick Markakis. Markakis was a fine baseball player, but always borderline ownable in shallow FLB leagues even at his peak. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 1:23 PM, damana said:

I kind of like Franchy too if he can stay healthy (big if).  He hits the ball really hard. Might have figured out how to avoid striking out so much too.

There aren't many non-prospect "flier" batters these days where, if you squint right, you could imagine a one dollar guy rocketing to a top 50 pick next year.

Franchy is like the only one I can think of this year, though admittedly I am drinking and not thinking about it very hard.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, jmcampbe11 said:

Alex Verdugo feels  A LOT like early career Nick Markakis. Markakis was a fine baseball player, but always borderline ownable in shallow FLB leagues even at his peak. 

It's still early obviously, but Verdugo has looked like total crap.  It's not exactly encouraging when you can't even get a hit vs. Matt Harvey of all people.  Yes, Verdugo has a good lineup spot (for now) and hits in a good ballpark, but for someone who lacks both speed and power, it's hard to justify his 132 ADP on Yahoo.  It makes no sense to me how Verdugo has a higher ADP than Byron Buxton who led the majors in HR/AB last year and has good speed.

Edited by FootballFan101
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crusaderfan said:

Verdugo wasn't on my draft list but he dropped to the point (152) where he was too hard to ignore. So far I'm not impressed.  😆

I have to agree with jmcampbe11.  There's just nothing very special about Verdugo as a fantasy player since he lacks both power and speed.  Given the lack of power, he'll be almost certainly be below average in RBI too (even in his good year last year, he only had 15 RBI last year).

While he hasn't shown it at all this year, the one area where Verdugo should help your fantasy is in batting average, but I think he's probably more of a .280-.290 hitter than last year's .308.  He could be above average in runs scored too, if he remains in the number two spot in the lineup, although right now he's probably pretty close to a demotion to the bottom of the order I would think.  

Even at pick 152, I would have preferred someone like Mancini who likely be above average in 3, maybe even 4, categories.

Edited by FootballFan101
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, 5catstud said:

If he were to hit more HR, what would his BA look like?
 

Assuming he would balance hitting for power with hitting for avg

Lower?

There have been countless guys with plus hit tools like Betts and Lindor who were forecasted for middling power and produced more. There's the Ichiro story that said he could be a power hitter if he wanted. There's no easy answer.

Edited by itaos
Link to post
Share on other sites

From ESPN:

ROTOWIRE.COM

Verdugo was dealing with left hamstring cramps during Saturday's loss to the Mariners, Bill Koch of The Providence Journal reports.

Spin: Verdugo went 2-for-4 with a double and one run in Saturday's loss, but he appeared to be bothered by his hamstring throughout most of the game. He was able to remain in the contest, and manager Alex Cora didn't sound concerned about the issue after the game. However, it's not yet clear whether the issue will impact Verdugo's availability for Sunday's series finale against Seattle.
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gregp said:

Yahoo has him as 'DTD', with no notes. What's going on here?

Was watching the game..caught a routine can of corn flyball early on and was stretching his hamstring area.  Played the rest of the game but barely ran when he hit the ball, very odd they never took him out of the game

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...