NBC Sports Edge Forums

The 22-year old is slated to start in CF and lead off for the Rangers. He seems to be projected by many to be a candidate for 12-15 HRs and 20+ SBs, coming with a .250 or lower BA, however. The thoughts put out there by most that I've read suggest this is won't be a great year for the youngster, but will be a foundation builder for him going forward. 

Thoughts? 

Taveras is an interesting name. Roster Resource has him as the leadoff hitter and every day CF. If that sticks, he should challenge 30 SBs and provide double digit power. He needs to prove he can hit and get on base to stick at leadoff. At an ADP around 200, he's worth a gamble for speed needy teams.

This guy is like number one on everyone's "sleeper list," right?

He seems like the classic "sleeper that everyone thinks is a sleeper so not in actuality a sleeper" type deal. 

• Haha 1

I look at his minor league numbers and his K rate last season in MLB and I'm just not that interested. Good potential but I think he's a year or two away.

But then you get past pick 200 and are desperate for SB, all of a sudden he seems worth a gamble. If you need cheap steals, might as well get some upside with them.

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

This guy is like number one on everyone's "sleeper list," right?

He seems like the classic "sleeper that everyone thinks is a sleeper so not in actuality a sleeper" type deal. 

Thinkin the same thing.  I will draft him anyway so I do not regret it if he plays well.

• 1 month later...

Surprised they haven't sent him down, actually, with the return of Willie Calhoun and promotion of Adolis Garcia. I have a feeling he will be demoted within the next week, at which point he'll be droppable in all redraft leagues. As for long term, I don't know, the Rangers are the absolute worst in terms of developing young players. Something tells me unless he can figure things out in AAA and come back strong post-ASB, this is going to be a guy in need of a scenery change to ever be relevant. Maybe I'm overreacting but Texas just has a knack for ruining young talent. 

4 hours ago, bangarrang said:

41 ABs with a .098/.140/.098 triple slash is disgusting. I haven't caught any ABs of his but they can't look good with a 44% SO rate.

A 44% K rate with one walk, no extra-base hits, and a 60% groundball rate is pretty amazing. It's hard to even figure out where to start with that - he's bad at literally every aspect of hitting. Definitely needs a trip back to the minors.

The only encouraging thing is that he's got 2 SB despite never being on base. He doesn't even need to be good to have fantasy value. He just has to be like, not the worst hitter in baseball.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

A 44% K rate with one walk, no extra-base hits, and a 60% groundball rate is pretty amazing. It's hard to even figure out where to start with that - he's bad at literally every aspect of hitting. Definitely needs a trip back to the minors.

The only encouraging thing is that he's got 2 SB despite never being on base. He doesn't even need to be good to have fantasy value. He just has to be like, not the worst hitter in baseball.

Lmao, this was a subtle, but hilarious post! 

31 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

Didnt think he would work out when I took him, and I was right 

I am sure the cost wasn't high. Someone in my draft reached for him.  Glad he did. Otherwise I would have grabbed him at his ADP.

Sitting on the wire in my league.  I actually might grab him and put him in the lineup for a game.

• Like 1