Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

How are we feeling about Devin Williams? 3Ks and no earned runs in his last two IPed. Anyone think he's possibly turning the corner and becoming what we expected him to be? 

Still walking too many but I think he's getting there. Just needed some time after not having a normal spring.

That said, it's hard for anyone to be as good as Williams was last year, so I'm trying to keep expectations realistic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Noteable Metric Performers so far 1. Codi Heuer SwStr: 20.6, K-BB: 32.4 LA: 12.6  FBv: 97.5 2. Miguel Castro SwStr: 15.6, K-BB: 25.0 LA: 4.2 FBv: 98 3. Corey Knebel SwStr: 16.7, K-BB: 3

Here are my personal favorite; based on their valuable ratios and opportunities for high leverage innings: Devin Williams Jake Diekman Ty

your link is appreciated. Your sarcasm is not.   The article is a good read. Wasnt aware of the rotator cuff inflammation. Good to know he is working his way back. Last year it was fun to ha

Posted Images

Posted about him in the MILB thread and will mention him here.

Giants RHP Gregory Santos. Just got the call up. Has the kind of stuff you're looking for from a high K upside RP.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

Posted about him in the MILB thread and will mention him here.

Giants RHP Gregory Santos. Just got the call up. Has the kind of stuff you're looking for from a high K upside RP.

 

Eric Logenhagen from Fangraphs has him in his top 200 prospects (I think he’s right around 130 IIRC). Compares him to Luis Medina but with injury issues/history in place of control issues. I’m optimistically hoping he gets to start this year 😬

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we typically target middle relievers for help with Ks, ratios, and holds, but what about wins? Any specific pitchers you would target? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2021 at 7:46 PM, SpartyOn4 said:

Still walking too many but I think he's getting there. Just needed some time after not having a normal spring.

That said, it's hard for anyone to be as good as Williams was last year, so I'm trying to keep expectations realistic.

I’m probably going to add him again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, coleporter said:

I’m probably going to add him again.

I did (add Devin Williams). I think it's worth the gamble in saves + holds leagues. If he can regain his form I'd say that Karinchak and Williams are 1a and 1b in terms of the best relievers to own outside of the handful of good closers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I know we typically target middle relievers for help with Ks, ratios, and holds, but what about wins? Any specific pitchers you would target? 

Bukuaskas almost had 2 wins within 1IP so far 🤷‍♂️ lol.

Tbh I think that's a fools errand chasing wins because they are pretty unpredictable. Even more so in relief.

 

I would say the swingman non high leverage guys are your best bet.

Edited by Dirtywater97
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Tbh I think that's a fools errand chasing wins because they are pretty unpredictable. Even more so in relief.

This.  In a weekly categories format, there's way more bang for the buck chasing streaming starters in good matchups, while in season-long roto, there's no reason to be chasing any individual category this early in the season.  It's true that wins are going to relievers more often than they used to, but predicting who will get them is just not feasible.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's rarely worthwhile.  I believe if you're going to try and game it, what you want to target is the third-best reliever ---so, not the closer or the 8th inning guy.  Those guys, on average, end up in more 5-6-7th inning and tied/down a run situations which can yield wins.   Ideally, it's on a team with more stable 8th/9th guys.   And in my view, only time it is worth rostering is if the guy also has strong Ks/ratios.

Loaisiga is the guy this year I would target for this if I had a roster spot where this is worthwhile.  Brent Suter another candidate.  That said, this year I personally would use that spot on a guy who is in the saves mix somewhere (either a share now or you-might-get-lucky backup closer type) especially early in the year.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

 It's true that wins are going to relievers more often than they used to, but predicting who will get them is just not feasible.

Exactly. You’re held hostage by sheer chance chasing wins. Folks need to focus on the stats pitchers can control on their own: ratios, k’s, etc. Wins will, or will not, take care of themselves. It’s such an unpredictable category.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, octapuss said:

David Price might be a nice pick up. He is going to pitch in some nice situations for the dodgers.

 

I agree, he can maybe have a role similar to Urias did in 2019. Some wins, some saves, good ratios.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dodgers placed RHP Corey Knebel on the 10-day injured list with a right lat injury.

Advice: Dodgers manager Dave Roberts stated that it may be a few months before Knebel will be able to return, but hopes the right-hander can rejoin the team this season. Roberts added that the injury is not a tear and will not require surgery. The current course of action will be rest and rehab for Knebel.

My take-Hard not to argue he should be dropped in just about every league. Some guy spent $31 on this dude in FAAB a few weeks back after he got one save, assuming that Jansen was done as closer. Why he would think Knebel would hold up through a whole season is beyond me, but I digress. This makes David Price and Victor Gonzalez a lot more interesting ROS.

Edited by Richard Kimble
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Dodgers placed RHP Corey Knebel on the 10-day injured list with a right lat injury.

Advice: Dodgers manager Dave Roberts stated that it may be a few months before Knebel will be able to return, but hopes the right-hander can rejoin the team this season. Roberts added that the injury is not a tear and will not require surgery. The current course of action will be rest and rehab for Knebel.

My take-Hard not to argue he should be dropped in just about every league. Some guy spent $31 on this dude in FAAB a few weeks back after he got one save, assuming that Jansen was done as closer. Why he would think Knebel would hold up through a whole season is beyond me, but I digress. This makes David Price and Victor Gonzalez a lot more interesting ROS.

Or possibly the  guy who was a lights out closer a few years back..mr treinen

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Or possibly the  guy who was a lights out closer a few years back..mr treinen

Him too, it's just one less mouth to feed. They're all candidates to get 5-10 saves,  and Jansen could still get 35, because the Dodgers are going to win a dozen more games than every other team in baseball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

Him too, it's just one less mouth to feed. They're all candidates to get 5-10 saves,  and Jansen could still get 35, because the Dodgers are going to win a dozen more games than every other team in baseball.

although they will also be ahead by 4+ runs in the ninth a dozen more times than those teams too.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 11:35 PM, tesla said:

although they will also be ahead by 4+ runs in the ninth a dozen more times than those teams too.

I'm not the math guy here but this can't be correct, logically speaking they project for more wins and therefore a few more save chances than any other team. Anyway, what's the reaction to Jimmy Nelson getting the save chance for the Dodgers last night? It can't be surprising, although in the context that they were going for a series sweep over the Padres it was unexpected. It's just further confirmation that they're going to spread the wealth around, and you can just probably give whatever saves you projected for Knebel to Nelson instead. What a comeback by the Padres, too, it looked like they were gonna get beat down and came out with a big win.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

I'm not the math guy here but this can't be correct, logically speaking they project for more wins and therefore a few more save chances than any other team. Anyway, what's the reaction to Jimmy Nelson getting the save chance for the Dodgers last night? It can't be surprising, although in the context that they were going for a series sweep over the Padres it was unexpected. It's just further confirmation that they're going to spread the wealth around, and you can just probably give whatever saves you projected for Knebel to Nelson instead. What a comeback by the Padres, too, it looked like they were gonna get beat down and came out with a big win.

Nelson closing the game wasn't a strategic choice by the Dodgers. Knebel is hurt and Jansen and Treinen were both unavailable. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

Nelson closing the game wasn't a strategic choice by the Dodgers. Knebel is hurt and Jansen and Treinen were both unavailable. 

I agree it lined up perfectly for him with the recent usage, and if you want to find a pattern, I'd bet they have a policy not to pitch anyone 3 out of 4 days at any point this season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Jordan Holloway on your watchlist. Back up with the Marlins. Looked real good again. 96-98 with a mean hook. Going to take sometime to move up the pecking order. May send him down again for service time manipulation, etc.

Edited by Dirtywater97
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

SP/RP Tyler Chatwood and that cutter he revised in July 2019 are on the radar. Here is the game log from July 1019 through yesterday:  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/tyler-chatwood/4338/game-log?position=P&season=&gds=2019-07-01&gde=2021-04-27&type=0

Nothing earth breaking but not a bad SP/RP with decent ratios that's getting some holds and K's (and only 3 hr allowed in that span). If you take out his 2 bad starts in 2020 (8 run blow up and the 5 walk return from that injury) in august of last year it's looks really juicy but that's cherry picking. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

SP/RP Tyler Chatwood and that cutter he revised in July 2019 are on the radar. Here is the game log from July 1019 through yesterday:  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/tyler-chatwood/4338/game-log?position=P&season=&gds=2019-07-01&gde=2021-04-27&type=0

Nothing earth breaking but not a bad SP/RP with decent ratios that's getting some holds and K's (and only 3 hr allowed in that span). If you take out his 2 bad starts in 2020 (8 run blow up and the 5 walk return from that injury) in august of last year it's looks really juicy but that's cherry picking. 

Hard pass on Chatwood in all but the deepest leagues, we've seen this story before. All of the Jays relievers have been excellent thus far despite the muddiness at the closer spot, and are in line for some regression. You must be the producer of the fantasy focus podcast he's always bringing up his love for Chatwood. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Hard pass on Chatwood in all but the deepest leagues, we've seen this story before. All of the Jays relievers have been excellent thus far despite the muddiness at the closer spot, and are in line for some regression. You must be the producer of the fantasy focus podcast he's always bringing up his love for Chatwood. 

Definitely not the president of the Chatwood fan club but this thread is for discovering middle relievers. I get that you like to troll the closer thread, but you can sit in here and find warts on all these MRs. It's a shame the one man arm didn't finish the job. EDI: Just think 57 innings since the revision in the pitch is good sample to see what we have. I'm not calling him Mariano but he's been good with the cutter since the change. 

Edited by tucker26
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...